How much clearance between the side of a P182 and a Ultra120

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

CountChoculaBot

How much clearance between the side of a P182 and a Ultra120

Post by CountChoculaBot » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 am

Can anyone tell me how much clearance there is between their P182/P180 and an Ultra 120 Extreme? Id like to know because I want to put some sound dampening, but I've heard reports that there's barely 2mm between the side of the case and the top of the Ultra 120.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:44 am

The heatpipes protudes about 4-6mm out from the heatsink itself, and the heatpipes is like 2-3mm from the case side

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:45 am

I just put this together this week... I'd say there is no more than 3mm of clearance. It is a VERY tight fit. I was surprised that I didn't find any scratches on the inside of the side panel.

CountChoculaBot

Post by CountChoculaBot » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:46 am

Thanks. I guess no sound dampening for me :(

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:02 am

yamahaSHO: what fans are those?

.. you can still use sound dampening, just not around the cpu cooler.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:10 am

Wibla wrote:yamahaSHO: what fans are those?
They are Yate Loon D12SL-12's which I bought here. From all my research, they seem to be a good choice at a good price. I had Nexus fans in my last build (replaced Panaflo's) and liked them very much.

Wibla wrote: .. you can still use sound dampening, just not around the cpu cooler.
Agreed! You could always cut a hole(s) to get around the cooler and/or heat pipes.[/url]

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:46 am

Hi!

I am a happy owner of a P180B. And I want to put an Ultra 120 Extreme in it very soon.:D

I guess there is some more clearance in the P180B than in the P182 or am I wrong?:?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:13 am

Alex wrote:Hi!

I am a happy owner of a P180B. And I want to put an Ultra 120 Extreme in it very soon.:D

I guess there is some more clearance in the P180B than in the P182 or am I wrong?:?
yeah, in P182 the motherboard place was moved few mm forward, so cabling system would be fit better. 2 or 3 mm was that?

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:40 am

Thought I would take a better picture for reference.

It's big!

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:17 pm

yamahaSHO wrote:
They are Yate Loon D12SL-12's which I bought here. From all my research, they seem to be a good choice at a good price. I had Nexus fans in my last build (replaced Panaflo's) and liked them very much.

Wibla wrote: .. you can still use sound dampening, just not around the cpu cooler.
Agreed! You could always cut a hole(s) to get around the cooler and/or heat pipes.[/url]
Question: where did you get the fan clips to put that Yate-Loon on the front of the drive bay? I was going to use zip-ties, but if a custom set of clips is available, I'll do that instead.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:06 pm

Airshark wrote:
yamahaSHO wrote:

Question: where did you get the fan clips to put that Yate-Loon on the front of the drive bay? I was going to use zip-ties, but if a custom set of clips is available, I'll do that instead.
Are you talking about the one just in front of the video card? If so, those clips came with the case itself. You can contact Antec for them I'm sure.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:51 pm

The best picture I could get:

Wow was that hard. It's pretty close there it seems.

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:32 am

yamahaSHO wrote:
Airshark wrote:
yamahaSHO wrote: They are Yate Loon D12SL-12's which I bought here. From all my research, they seem to be a good choice at a good price. I had Nexus fans in my last build (replaced Panaflo's) and liked them very much.

Are you talking about the one just in front of the video card? If so, those clips came with the case itself. You can contact Antec for them I'm sure.
Hmm, my case didn't come with those clips. Gonna have to drop Antec a note.

Dutchmm

Post by Dutchmm » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:57 am

Hmm

In the European manual, they say you should get clips for the middle fan - I guess this is the one you are talking about. It is on Page 1:

<quote>
You will also find some wiring with marked connectors
(USB, PWR etc.), installed I/O panel, a box containing the top fan spoiler, drive rails for 5.25â€

CountChoculaBot

Post by CountChoculaBot » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:27 pm

Bleh I'm too OCD to cut holes in the sound dampening :(

Any info on clearance between Tuniq Tower and the side of a P182 then? :D
Would it be enough to fit this 17mm thick sound dampening (or at least the 7mm)?
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/acoustipack_dx.asp

Also, is there enough room to put 7mm thick sound dampening on the opposite side of the P182 (where the power supply cables are routed through)? I'll be using a Corsair 620w if it helps.

Thanks for all the help btw, so many pics :D

In addition... uh... If I do go with the Tuniq Tower, is the default fan satisfactory? Or would it be a good idea to replace it with this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185029
I could care less about its 400 lower max RPM, since it's only about 5C difference at load on a heavily OC'd rig right?

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:39 pm

You dont really need to use dampening on the sides in the P182.. the noise will come out of the fan openings, not through the side walls.