Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

krille

Abit IP35 Pro FanEQ works how? Linear?

Post by krille » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:37 pm

What happens if I set these settings:

High Control Temperature: 50C
Low Control Temperature: 30C
High DC Fan Voltage: 12V
Low DC Fan Voltage: 8V (minimum voltage)

1) And the reference temperature is in-between, say it's 40C? Will it at 40C spin at 10V or what? What about 35C and 45C? Is it linear? Or how does it work?

2) And the reference temperature is below 30C. Will the fan come to a halt? Or just keep spinning at 8V?

3) Is there any hope Abit FanEQ will allow voltages below 8V in a hack, mod, BIOS update or otherwise?

4) Off-topicish question: At what RPM will a 1200 RPM fan spin at 8v?

5) Off-topicish question #2: Are Noctua NF-S12-1200 and NF-S12-800 just as good fans as Scythe S-FLEX E? Or would S-FLEX be better? Are the Noctua fans FDB based?

Great thanks! :D

krille

Post by krille » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:41 am

None knows?

Bobendren

Re: Abit IP35 Pro FanEQ works how? Linear?

Post by Bobendren » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:19 pm

krille wrote:What happens if I set these settings:

1) And the reference temperature is in-between, say it's 40C? Will it at 40C spin at 10V or what? What about 35C and 45C? Is it linear? Or how does it work?

2) And the reference temperature is below 30C. Will the fan come to a halt? Or just keep spinning at 8V?

3) Is there any hope Abit FanEQ will allow voltages below 8V in a hack, mod, BIOS update or otherwise?

4) Off-topicish question: At what RPM will a 1200 RPM fan spin at 8v?

5) Off-topicish question #2: Are Noctua NF-S12-1200 and NF-S12-800 just as good fans as Scythe S-FLEX E? Or would S-FLEX be better? Are the Noctua fans FDB based?

Great thanks! :D

1) I'ld love to know myself. My brother has a Abit AN8-Ultra board, but whenever i would try to switch on the fan control windows wouldn't boot, so i never did find out.

2) It'll keep spinning at 8v.

3) It's a possibility. Send an e-mail to them daily complaining about it - something might get done. They limit it to 8v so that fans don't stall on start up. But it would make sense to allow down to say, 5v and just place a warning message in the bios.

4) It's pretty much linear so... (8/12)*1200 = 800rpm at 8v

5) I like cats.

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:39 pm

1) I don't have the board but looked through the manual and that's how I thought of it. I've used Abit boards in the past with this feature and it's how it worked.

2) What he said. Some boards will shut the fan off (DFI boards come to mind).

3) I don't think so. But try other fan headers on the board. If this board is like other Abit boards I used, the sysfan header and maybe Auxfan headers might go down to 6v. You can shut fan monitoring off for different fan headers so there shouldn't be a problem not having a fan plugged into the cpufan header.

4) What he said.

5) I like dogs myself. :)

@Bobendren:

Do you happen to have uGuru in Windows? Disable the fan monitoring before you play with the settings in BIOS. I recall I had this problem a couple times when my BIOS settings didn't jive with uGuru settings in Windows.

fjf

Post by fjf » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:18 am

I've been playing with my ip35 pro and using the windows uguru software you can click the button optimize (at least) for the sys fan. Mine, a 1600 s-flex, goes down to 2.5 v! and 800 rpm, inaudible from 1 m away. The 2.5 v setting gets saved to the BIOS and works well later even in linux.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Re: Abit IP35 Pro FanEQ works how? Linear?

Post by ryboto » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:37 am

krille wrote:What happens if I set these settings:

No, it spins at 8v. You basically only have two fan speeds, high and low. Until it hits the High temp, it will only provide the fan with 8v. Once it cools down to the low temp(i think), it spins slowly again. So, I have my low at 40C, my high speed at 45C. I'm using an Abit AT8 32x.
krille wrote: 2) And the reference temperature is below 30C. Will the fan come to a halt? Or just keep spinning at 8V?
It just spins at 8v.
krille wrote: 3) Is there any hope Abit FanEQ will allow voltages below 8V in a hack, mod, BIOS update or otherwise?

I doubt it, but they did have some boards that went as low as 6v. You could always just use an in-line resistor for the fan, worked fine for me and my Panaflo.
krille wrote: 4) Off-topicish question: At what RPM will a 1200 RPM fan spin at 8v?
my Scythe S-flex's spin between 780-840rpm with 8v from my board.
krille wrote: 5) Off-topicish question #2: Are Noctua NF-S12-1200 and NF-S12-800 just as good fans as Scythe S-FLEX E? Or would S-FLEX be better? Are the Noctua fans FDB based?
Noctua make their own proprietary bearing. If you're going to use them on a CPU, get the scythe, the Noctuas reportedly can't generate enough pressure for some of the tight finned heat sinks. Maybe I have it backwards.

krille

Post by krille » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:29 pm

What's the point in setting a low value if it's not linear?

I mean.
>50C :: 12V
40<50C :: 12V
<40C :: 8V

That would render the "HIGH" setting completely unnecessary. What's up with that?

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:15 pm

krille wrote:What's the point in setting a low value if it's not linear?

I mean.

That would render the "HIGH" setting completely unnecessary. What's up with that?
how is it unecessary? I set my high temp to 45C, my low is 40C. The system is nearly silent until it starts doing work. Once it cools below 40C it goes back to 8v. If those temperatures aren't good for you, change them to fit your needs.

WEKS

Post by WEKS » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:56 am

fjf wrote:I've been playing with my ip35 pro and using the windows uguru software you can click the button optimize (at least) for the sys fan. Mine, a 1600 s-flex, goes down to 2.5 v! and 800 rpm, inaudible from 1 m away. The 2.5 v setting gets saved to the BIOS and works well later even in linux.
Anyone want to comment on this?

Staats

Post by Staats » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:33 pm

Even setting the fans to 0 volts in uGuru (WinXP) will still allow them to spin. I don't think uGuru will shut off a fan - I've tried! :) I have an Antec 180B with 4 nexus fans & a zalman 9700nt cpu cooler. The Abit uGuru feature is awesome. Bios controlled fans from Windows - that is great! :)

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:44 am

mbetea wrote:
@Bobendren:

Do you happen to have uGuru in Windows? Disable the fan monitoring before you play with the settings in BIOS. I recall I had this problem a couple times when my BIOS settings didn't jive with uGuru settings in Windows.
Geez, I'm only seeing this now a month later.

I'll give it a try. Thanks! :D
fjf wrote: I've been playing with my ip35 pro and using the windows uguru software you can click the button optimize (at least) for the sys fan. Mine, a 1600 s-flex, goes down to 2.5 v! and 800 rpm, inaudible from 1 m away. The 2.5 v setting gets saved to the BIOS and works well later even in linux.
Unlikely. 800rpm would be around 6v. Still, being able to half the speed is very useful.

krille

Post by krille » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:27 am

ryboto wrote:
krille wrote:What's the point in setting a low value if it's not linear?

I mean.

how is it unecessary? I set my high temp to 45C, my low is 40C. The system is nearly silent until it starts doing work. Once it cools below 40C it goes back to 8v. If those temperatures aren't good for you, change them to fit your needs.
Only a LOW level would be required. As anything above LOW results in 12V. Whether temp is above or below the HIGH setting won't affect the resulting voltage supplied to the fan. Tell me, what is the point of the HIGH setting?

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:54 am

krille wrote:Only a LOW level would be required. As anything above LOW results in 12V. Whether temp is above or below the HIGH setting won't affect the resulting voltage supplied to the fan. Tell me, what is the point of the HIGH setting?
well, on the AT8 32x, the high setting wasn't just 12v. You could set it to anything, as long as it was .5v more than the low. If the High on the IP35 is just 12v, then you're right, it's kinda silly.