Aerocool VM-101 and 7600GT AGP compatibility

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Badger

Aerocool VM-101 and 7600GT AGP compatibility

Post by Badger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:21 pm

Does anyone know if the VM-101 is compatible with the 7600GT AGP? The card has the weird "rectangular" mounting holes, rendering my Zalman ZM80D-HP useless for it.

It also doesn't appear that HR-03 works either... in fact, nearly nothing works with it. I'm specifically looking for a cooler that is mounted like VM-101, I can't have it take up space below the card (limited PCI slots).

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:38 pm

Well for future reference, Brian Su of Aerocool responded via email within 10 minutes on a Friday night to tell me that no, the VM-101 does not support the 7 series or above.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:00 am

Maybe the Accelero S2 fits... Under "Compatibility", the AC site says it compatible with NV7600... And they dont state "except AGP versions"

EDIT: Overlooked "limited PCI slots", sorry :oops:

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:48 am

Yeah, but thanks though. If I have time later this week I want to try mounting the ZM80D-HP crooked on the card, it might but at a weird angle, not sure yet if it'll work at all, but nothing to lose.

It's unbelievable that none of these manufactures have a mount to accommodate these cards... I only need a few more mm in each direction!

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:40 pm

There's two GPU-blocks included in the Zalman sandwich kit... Have you tried both blocks?

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Yeah, I did. I tried the longer one too and it just wasn't enough. Strangely enough, the shorter/fatter block has the same arm extension as the longer/skinnier block.

I'm going to have to look again, but I think if I can somehow mount it off-center that the arms might reach the holes.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:03 pm

More to update for future reference:

Thermalright is NOT planning on supporting any additional AGP cards in the future and has scrapped the idea of making the HSI bridge chip adapter for the HR-03.

Code: Select all

Hello,

The website states that there will soon be an HSI cooling solution for the HR-03 for all Nvidia AGP cards with an HSI chipset.  The website slates this to be complete in February 2007, which came and went a long time ago.

I'm specifically wondering about the HR-03 and the 7600GT AGP cards... will this combination work with the expected solution and how long until we see that solution?

Hi,

We have given up the idea of customzing a HSI heatsink for all AGP cards simply because there are more board layouts that we thought.

I apoloze for the misleading information on our website and will get it updated shortly.

Thank you for taking interest in Thermalright!

Thermalright,

Chris Lee
and three minutes later another guy responded to the same email:

Hi,

We are not supporting any additional AGP cards and have no plans to do so in the future.

Thermalright Support,

Bob
Bob wasn't very into the "customer service with a smile" theme.

I wonder if the only reason the HR-03 doesn't officially support the 7600 series AGP cards is because of that HSI bridge and maybe the mounting holes on it are long enough? There's already a pretty hefty heatsink on it, and I suppose it does receive air from the fan... but would it kill it if it didn't receive that direct air if the HR-03 was mounted?

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:17 pm

Sorry, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse now, but I think I may have found an answer for the 7600gt agp, suggested by the awesome support team at XFX (if you ever need an nvidia card, go with xfx... lifetime warranty and if your card dies (like my 6800 did) they'll replace it with a new card (the reason I now have a 7600gt) and are very good at communicating every step of the process).

I shudder to say it, but Thermaltake Schooner? It's the same principle as the ZM80D-HP which worked fine with the old 6800, but take a look at the mounting: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Ther ... ner/2.html

That looks like it could accommodate anything. Any thoughts?

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:36 pm

Dead horse? Hmmm, I'm still running with a Radeon 9800 Pro 8) And if it dies tomorrow, I'd most likely get a 7600GT AGP 8)

Anyway, I cant comment about compatability. A couple of years ago, I was very fascinated by the Schooners heatpipe outside of the case. I remember I read a review on a german site, where thet did a roundup of passive coolers. The Schooner ran a few degrees hotter than ZM80D-HP. Cant remember wich card they used... But since the ZM80 almost can cool a 9800 pro, I doubt the Schooner should have problems with a much cooler 7600GT.

Sorry, not of much help... Is there a compability drwaing of the Schooner somewhere on the net? What does XFX says about it?

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:22 am

Solved my own problem... I made the ZM80D-HP fit. I was right, all I had to do was mount it at an angle to make the arms reach. It's starting to show its age though, screw holes are beginning to stip and I cant get it as tight around the heatpipes as it needs to be.

The first time I did it I had temps of 90C at boot up so I had to redo the whole thing. The second time around I booted up at 52C but it has slowly found its way to 63C and probably still going. Just have to keep my eye on it, but I think anything less than 65C at idle will be ok.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:59 am

Nice; Creative, money-saving and environment-friendly due to recycling the ZM-thingy...

Now I see what the problem is with mounting holes... dang !

I doubt an Accelero S2 would fit... But if you ever consider such one, there's a layout/compatability drawing on AC's site, though.

doveman

Post by doveman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:39 pm

I did see a post from someone on an Australian site saying that he'd had no problem fitting the S2 to his 7600GT AGP. I'm hoping to use that myself (I've got the XFX card as well) if Aerocool can confirm that it will fit.

Badger, I don't quite understand what you've done because you said that you didn't want a cooler that blocked your PCI slots but surely your Zalman does just that. Was it just that you couldn't find a cooler that would go above?

Anyway, I'll let you know if the S2 works out.

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:43 pm

doveman wrote:Badger, I don't quite understand what you've done because you said that you didn't want a cooler that blocked your PCI slots but surely your Zalman does just that. Was it just that you couldn't find a cooler that would go above?

Anyway, I'll let you know if the S2 works out.
The Zalman does take up a PCI slot. I only have three PCI slots though and need two of them. I need a cooler that goes above, or one that only takes up as much space below the GPU as the Zalman does. The S2 is either going to take up more than one slot, or it's just going to dump a ton of heat below my card into an already cramped area and it'll never get any ventilation.

But let me know how that S2 works out and how many PCI slots it uses. The other problem is finding a cooler with the correct length mounts for the 7600GT AGP, so let me know how that works with the S2, too!

doveman

Post by doveman » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:31 am

Yeah, ideally I'd like to be able to use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot for my modem/fax card but I guess I could always get a USB one.

Anyway, I've had a reply from Artic saying that the S2 WON'T fit the XFX 7600GT AGP. I've asked them to clarify why and if it will fit any other 7600GT AGP cards 'cos as I said, I've seen someone say that they did it without any problem.

I posted some pics of other makes of this card in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=43659
and I'm wondering if those which have the HSI bridge straight also have the GPU straight, which allows the S2 to fit.

I've got a feeling it might fit the XFX if it's angled, like you did with your ZM80-D, which would hopefully still cover the GPU enough to keep it cool. Of course, it might be that angling it like that would cause it to not fit in the case properly, in which case the VM-103 might be a better bet. If that was fitted normally, it wouldn't cover the GPU either but at least you wouldn't have to worry about it fitting in the case.

As you say though, it all depends on whether either of them have mounts that are long enough, although the VM-103 ones do look quite long. If I can't get an answer from Artic I'll probably buy that and see how it goes.