Konnetikut's Quad Core P182 [Update III] pg 3 (16 NEW PICS)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

matva

Post by matva » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:19 am

Konnetikut wrote:Looks like I'm also RMAing the DS3R - it's hissing under load (VRMs most likely)
So, a full system rebuild. How fun! :lol:
That's happening this weekend.
I also ordered a noctua 1200, some nexus fanmounts, and 2 fanmates to coincide with the weekend build.
lets see the big picture!
:?: You want a big picture?

Question: Since I'll be reapplying AS5, what's the best method to do so? Is it the 'official' method of a thin line across the cores, or should I spread it evenly in a thin layer?
i meant the "big" picture (your desk setup).

sorry to hear about your ds3. i just got a ds3l (haven't installed it yet), along with the p180b, e6750, 2xyateloons, gigabyte 8600gt, hx520, 2x1gb ballistix, and ultra-120. so pretty much the same system as yours minus the q6600. i hope my ds3l doesn't give me problems. i hope mine turns out as nice as yours :)

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:59 pm

matva wrote:i meant the "big" picture (your desk setup).

sorry to hear about your ds3. i just got a ds3l (haven't installed it yet), along with the p180b, e6750, 2xyateloons, gigabyte 8600gt, hx520, 2x1gb ballistix, and ultra-120. so pretty much the same system as yours minus the q6600. i hope my ds3l doesn't give me problems. i hope mine turns out as nice as yours :)
Good luck on your build! My noctuas and fanmates just came...I'll be taking my motherboard out tonight.

More pictures coming this weekend when everything's back in :)
+ the full work area pic (which is quite boring)

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:53 pm

hey, first off...congrats on your new pc! it looks absolutely terrific!

one quick question...how much does your ultra 120 hang over the NB? would it be possible to fit an HR-05 on the nb? the width of the HR-05 base is 30mm, but the fins are actually only about 19 mm wide (according to specs), so after some basic math...i need to know if the ultra 120 hangs ~6 mm over the nb...if its more than that...HR-05/IFX won't fit :(

Otto69

Someone asked...

Post by Otto69 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:27 pm

1. how to get the rubber water cooling plugs out. Just pull them out, the come out and go back in with finger pressure.

2. what the hole is between the upper and lower chamber that can't be covered up. What I used it for, and what I think it is for, is to run the 20/24 pin cable bundle up to the mobo. Perfect fit.

By the way, I found that a sheet cut from the plastic lid of resealable yogurt can slip under the black sliding plastic panel to completely close off the center hole if you want.

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:31 pm

Konnetikut wrote:miahallen, if you do 3D work, a quad would be amazing. Coming from a P4 1.8GHz, I have to say I am very impressed with this quad core. I have confidence it would OC much further - I just haven't tried yet :lol:
Well, I'm finally going to take the plung later this week. I've had all my current gear on ebay the last 6 days, it will sell tomorrow. I'm hoping to make enought to get a new mobo, CPU and RAM. I'm starting a new thread in the system advice section.

Thanks for sharing your experiances Konnetikut. Hopefully my DS3P Rev.2.0 board is quiet...I HATE coil wine/hiss. :roll:

rfadream

Post by rfadream » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:05 am

hey Konnetikut can you tell me where you got your 24" sata cable?

i'm assuming you used the short sata cable that came with your mobo for the HD and the 24" was for the dvd burner right?

oh and also how was the 24" length? if i were to route my dvd burner just like you did how much slack would there be?

would a 18" sata cable work better? or would it be too short?

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:21 pm

Mega Update.
Sorry it took so long.

To answer a few questions first:

1)
laguz1 wrote:one quick question...how much does your ultra 120 hang over the NB? would it be possible to fit an HR-05 on the nb? the width of the HR-05 base is 30mm, but the fins are actually only about 19 mm wide (according to specs), so after some basic math...i need to know if the ultra 120 hangs ~6 mm over the nb...if its more than that...HR-05/IFX won't fit
I don't think it will fit, especially with the fan clip in place. Maybe the SLI edition? See pic to draw your own conclusions.

2)
rfadream wrote:hey Konnetikut can you tell me where you got your 24" sata cable?

i'm assuming you used the short sata cable that came with your mobo for the HD and the 24" was for the dvd burner right?

oh and also how was the 24" length? if i were to route my dvd burner just like you did how much slack would there be?

would a 18" sata cable work better? or would it be too short?
If you take a look at my picture here, there's really not much slack, the way I routed it. I got my 24" at NCIX.com.

I. The UnBuild.

The parts taken out.

Ultra 120 with the P182.

The Heart of this computer.

Fascinating.

Gigabyte 8600GT shot.

Macro-ized.

More Ballistix

LGA775 Socket.

Q6600 + AS5

Everything in.

New SATA Cabling (Revision III) - yup, I took out the black panels. I'll seal it up with some construction paper soon.

Fanmate 2 for rear exhaust YL D12SL-12.

Noctua 1200 w/ U.L.N.A. in bottom chamber to keep hard drives happy.

And Finally:

The Big Picture.
Last edited by Konnetikut on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panter

Post by Panter » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:31 pm

Really beautiful Konnetikut. Nice pictures.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:16 pm

Thanks, Panter. Your 9HDD server is quite impressive as well 8)

As for mine, I got so busy posting pictures I didn't really say what I wanted to say:

-after the fan replacements, the computer is even quieter. The only audible component left is the hard drive.
-the noctua was a PITA to install with the rubber grommets. The nexus grommets I used with the YL exhaust were much easier to work with.
-It would seem the replacement DS3R I received wasn't as good an overclocker as my old one. I'm leaving the Q6600 at stock for now, since it's so fast anyway.
-replacement HX-520 has no more buzz issues, just a low fan rumble that's inaudible where I sit.

Idle: 36-36-35-32

I'll try to answer any other questions ASAP.

phantom220

Post by phantom220 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:15 pm

Nice setup Konnetikut :)

Very impressed with your cable management, it's become a bit of an obsession and I've copied a few of your tricks with the lower HDD SATA cables.

I was wondering where you've routed all your front panel connectors and especially (if you are using it) the front panel audio connector?

Cheers

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:43 pm

Wow, that NB/cpu cooler shot reeaallly helped out....thanks a ton!

superb pics - i'm guessing you're a photography fan? what camera do you use?

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:53 pm

phantom220 wrote:I was wondering where you've routed all your front panel connectors and especially (if you are using it) the front panel audio connector?
After you remove the black panels, you have these perfect holes to route the cables through:

Heres my new backpanel (with extra fan cabling). Certainly messier than it was before, but I'm too busy to afford spending extra time in cleaning up an area certainly no one would care to see (except SPCR). I'm also using a new method of keeping cables in order. It's called tape.

I'm not using the front panel audio connector: it's simply too much of a hassle for something I don't use. No firewire either, because my DS3R doesn't support it.
laguz1 wrote:superb pics - i'm guessing you're a photography fan? what camera do you use?
Yes, I'm a photography fan. I'm also the proud owner of a Point-and-Shoot (Sony DSC-W50), that just recently busted it's battery compartment.
I want a DSLR, but I can't afford one (yet).

phantom220

Post by phantom220 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:45 pm

Thanks for the pics mate :D

GrinningFool

Post by GrinningFool » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:58 am

phantom220 wrote:Thanks for the pics mate :D
Right-on! Thanks for the pix and inspiration! You've done fantastic work and I'm going to do my best to make my build look as great as yours. THANK YOU for sharing!

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:08 am

Hi Konnetikut:

So at last I'm building my machine, I was waiting for the X38 Asus mobo, and now I have it :). Paired with nice Ballistix DDR3.

I'm going to post pictures and the whole story very soon. I live in California,so temps might be different than Vancouver, but I'm using a Q6600 Stepping G0 ofcourse!!!

QUESTION:

1) Did you have any mounting problems with the Thermalright Ultra-Extreme? Like not enough mounting pressure? Or used a coin or a washer toreduce the temps on it(Google Ultra-120 Penny)

2) In your current configuration did you take the front panel plastic covers out (Like Mike Chin just mentioned in the most current article here?)

3) Did you end up not using the middle fan? I'm glad you mentioned that you reduce 3-2 degrees by doing so :_)

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:15 am

Konnetikut wrote:miahallen, if you do 3D work, a quad would be amazing. Coming from a P4 1.8GHz, I have to say I am very impressed with this quad core. I have confidence it would OC much further - I just haven't tried yet :lol:

falcon26 - a compliment from another cabling master as yourself is very encouraging :)
Thanks again for the advice, I took the plunge and I've been very pleased with the results. You can see my new gear in my sig.

cloneman

Re: Konnetikut's Quad Core P182 [Update III] pg 3 (16 NEW PI

Post by cloneman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:58 am

Konnetikut wrote: If you have any image requests I'll try and get them for you as soon as I can. :)
I want a picture of a ripe red tomato inside the case.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:10 am

Konnetikut, does your back panel bulge badly after routing your cables beneath the mobo tray? I find that when cables are routed back. side panel needs to be pushed considerably.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:08 pm

I've just finished my cabling following Konneticut's build.

Yes I can cnfirm it bulges considerably, at the beginning. But I've worked around this using a lot of tape and having all the cables very very tight to the back panel.

I've found a way to close it fast and secure. It requires some thinking but is doable.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:53 pm

oscar3d wrote:QUESTION:

1) Did you have any mounting problems with the Thermalright Ultra-Extreme? Like not enough mounting pressure? Or used a coin or a washer toreduce the temps on it(Google Ultra-120 Penny)

2) In your current configuration did you take the front panel plastic covers out (Like Mike Chin just mentioned in the most current article here?)

3) Did you end up not using the middle fan? I'm glad you mentioned that you reduce 3-2 degrees by doing so :_)
1) I couldn't find a washer so I just put it on. I've tried physically applying pressure, but I don't see a difference.

2) Taking them out now... :lol:

3) Yes. No it wasn't a 2-3 degree difference...there was actually no difference at all. I added a noctua 1200 + U.L.N.A. in the bottom chamber as well.

The back panel bulges slightly (I have to apply pressure to get the screw holes aligned), but I have no trouble getting the panel on and off.

You asked for it.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:56 pm

Thanks fr answering Konnetikut. :-)

I think I will use the washer trick intead of a penny, I will use one 1 inch diameter metal washer with a hole on it.

Ã

mexell

Post by mexell » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 pm

That could as well be an apple :D

Indeed, as I said before, really nice work. Go on like this!

I always admire these fantastic cabling skills. It's like looking at a beautiful car engine. But I can't do it myself :( All that I got cable-wise so far is a state which doesn't hamper airflow too much.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:10 am

If you can answer my latest questions that would be VERY NEEDED now, because I'm in "building rig mode"" :-)

Also,when you say?

3) Yes. No it wasn't a 2-3 degree difference...there was actually no difference at all. I added a noctua 1200 + U.L.N.A. in the bottom chamber as well.

Then why are you using the middle fan anyway? It doesn't give you 2-3 degrees less but gives you about 3-4 decibels more :) If you have it can you tell me how do you have it mounted (with the black frame? did you put rubber grommets on it? picture if you please?

Also you might want to check my advancements on the case preparation.

Here is for the door front panels.

So yeah, you can cut the the back guilty plastic pieces as I'm doing here.

You can see the complete coments here. posting.php?mode=editpost&p=374290

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:41 pm

oscar3d wrote:Just one question. The backplate on this heatsink (the one you install at the back of the board has a peel off thing to stick. Are you (did you) stick it on the back of the board. Also it has like a a little transparent plastic following the cross shape of the backplate. Am I supposed to have those in as well, or I should toss them???

Would you mind showing us a picture of your bild, but from the left angle?

Should I cut it and put electrical tape on the cutted end, it won't cause a problem right?
a) No, I didn't peel the sticky bit. I left everything on, including the transparent plastic bit (I think).

b) sure, sometime soon.

c) You could, but I just hide it away in case if I ever need to use it.

No, I'm not using the middle fan...which you can probably see from that picture with the tomato.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Konnetikut, my good mentor!

I just wanted to say THANKS very much!

As I promised I've finished my Intel X38 P182 rig, and all your pictures and advice helped me a lot.

Here is the new post.

viewtopic.php?p=375086#375086

Yeah...sorry took me a while, to finish it, but it's finally done and working.

Take a look!

Ryan Norton
Patron of SPCR

Post by Ryan Norton » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:44 am

As an owner of a P180 and then P180B since around the time its review was published here on SPCR, I gotta say the difference the P182 makes cable management-wise is just stupendous. I'm so jealous!

djkest

Post by djkest » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:37 pm

I got one for you. How about a pomegranate or starfruit in your case. Hah! Bet you dont' have one of those handy.