Silencing my pc

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ople

Silencing my pc

Post by Ople » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:52 am

Hi,

Have this system setup at the moment:

Core 2 duo e4300 with zalman 7000b-cu cooler
Ati radeon x1950 pro with zalman VF900-cu
2gb ddr2 ram

I miss at this moment a psu and some case fans.

On my case i have only 1x120mm fan space in the back.

Which way should i have the fans blow? Should i have a psu with or without fan? Any good idea to mod a cheap psu with another fan? Or just buy an already silent one? General tips for case fans? And should i change some of my existing cooling?

Want the system to be as silent as possible without paying to much.

Ps! Take in notice that I'm from Europe

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:02 am

Hmm, so i'm assuming you have a standard case w/ the psu located on top?

The rear exhaust should blow air out back and yes, i would get a psu with a fan. i would get a default good, quiet psu, as modding the psu generally will violate the warranty and void it.

Try a seasonic S12II 380 - i'm planning on getting one once i upgrade my gpu later. spcr has a review on this, and as usual, its top notch.

The psu is about $70 here in US, but i'm pretty sure Europe sells seasonics, no?

For case fans, Yate Loons are a great price/performance fan, but i heard its not accessible in some parts of Europe...so I would get either a Nexus or Noctua.

Ople

Post by Ople » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:55 am

Yep, it's a standard case with the psu on the top.

Could maybe cut out place for an extra fan on the back if it make any difference? Make one blow out and one take new air in? Only place where it wouldn't destroy the finish of the case.

Was looking a little at:

Scythe SFLEX 120mm
CORSAIR VX450

Any good?

Seems to find only the 600w version of seasonic here..

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:00 pm

you probably won't need to cut out a 120mm fan intake if you already have some gaps in which air can get into your case (preferably in the front)

since just one exhaust fan is ok...you'll create negative air pressure which naturally draws air in.

corsair 450VX is good too...its basically a seasonic with small adjustments here and there

S-Flex is alright too, just make sure to get either of the two lower speeds, unless you have a fan controller...then feel free to buy whatever speed and undervolt

oh, and the other fan i that i forgot about last time is noiseblocker...the black version 120mm ones are very quiet, but not available here in the US. I'm almost positive they sell them in europe...

since the S-Flex is good, but there are better choices, namely Nexus, Noctua, Fander, and Noiseblocker

Ople

Post by Ople » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:20 am

From what I can see, it's only have some gaps in the back (old case). Would it be enough? Should cut more?

Cutting anyting on the front/sides would totally ruin the look of the case...

Found a shop selling nexus fans for a fair price so will grab a few one of these days, should i get something to under volt them?

And can get seasonic S12II 380 and corsair 550VX/450VX for the same price, which one to choose? Want the one that makes the less noise..

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:39 pm

They have almost the same sound...due to both being made by seasonic, and thus same fans

i personally like the seasonic, but thats just from experience and they've been in the psu business for quite some time. i'm pretty sure corsair make great psu's as well, so i'd choose whatever you like

as long as you have some holes in the back, you won't need to cut out anything. if you hear like air whistling/intake noise, then i would maybe enlarge them a bit

you probably won't need to undervolt those nexus...if you your mobo has fan pins, you can control from there and it should be good enough

Ople

Post by Ople » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:36 am

Ok,

Will buy a 120mm Nexus and a Corsair Vx450 one of these days..

Tanks for the help, will come back with more questions if i encounter any problems..

"Cheers"

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:52 am

Will buy a 120mm Nexus and a Corsair Vx450 one of these days..
for psu I would get Seasonic S12-II 380, there have been reports of VX450 buzzing/whining problems.

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:40 am

laguz1 wrote:since the S-Flex is good, but there are better choices, namely Nexus, Noctua, Fander, and Noiseblocker
SPCR did a review, those are not "better" than an S-Flex. Noctua's have serious air pressure problems and should be avoided unless they are your only option.

A corsair VX450 and a 1200rpm 120mm S-Flex is a great combination. Nexus fans are also very good. If you need a 92mm or 80mm, go with nexus only.

All psu's have the potential to buzz/coil whine. You cant say to avoid specific models, as any model of any manufacturer has this potential of coil whine. If you get one that has coil whine, all you do is RMA it back for a new one. No harm done. This is an innate issue with all electronic devices, and can happen to anything with electricity flowing through it. Most of the time fan noise tends to mask coil buzz/whine though, which is why you may have not noticed it before on previous products.

Ople

Post by Ople » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:01 am

What about the nexus power supplies? Any of you got any experiences with them?