Need some assists on thermal pasting

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aimfox

Need some assists on thermal pasting

Post by aimfox » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:14 pm

It's my first time applying thermal pasting on my new scythe cpu fan to my mobo. However, I need help how to do it... I read alot of articles of how to do it and most of them barely have any images showing how to apply.. so i am wondering if anyone has a video that shows the procedures or a good recommended site with lots of images..

also does anyone here thinks i should use the the retail thermal pasting or go buy a better pasting? is there any difference?

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:55 pm

Arctic Silver 5 seems to be a pretty common recomendation around here. In the end I don't think it will make much of a difference. Either way, check this out: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silv ... ctions.htm

This is off the AS5 page. It will give you specific instructions based on your processor, that will work for any paste.

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:00 am

As for the brand, Zalman claims that its thermal grease (ZM-STG1) is better than other "high performance thermal grease". I read some reviews that compared it with AS ones and Zalman was a clear winner. This might need to be confirmed by other sources, though.

http://www.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=67101&page=1
http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=40

I decided to trust them, and I have to say I'm quite happy with it, but I have made no formal comparison.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:28 am

I've always used the paste that came with the heatsink. If I were to buy paste separately, I'd buy Arctic Ceramique, as this appears to be the easiest to apply correctly. It doesn't matter how good the inherent properties are if you don't apply it correctly.

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:03 am

jessekopelman wrote:I've always used the paste that came with the heatsink. If I were to buy paste separately, I'd buy Arctic Ceramique, as this appears to be the easiest to apply correctly. It doesn't matter how good the inherent properties are if you don't apply it correctly.
That's a nice feature of the ZM-STG1, it comes with a nice little brush. Much easier to apply than the regular "syringe".

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:38 am

Torajirou wrote:That's a nice feature of the ZM-STG1, it comes with a nice little brush. Much easier to apply than the regular "syringe".
Unless you do it the way AS5 is supposed to be used: right amount from syringe and then flatten out with heatsink. Easy, fast and very much surefire.

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:59 pm

Is this ZM-STG1 thermal greese non conductive?

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:42 am

I swear by AS5 (noticeably lower temps compared to stock paste), but I haven't tried the mentioned Zalman paste. Make sure you do a dry run or two before applying the paste and doing the real thing. Arctic Silver isn't kidding when they tell you not to lift up on the heatsink so you don't introduce air into the paste.

Tommy Jefferson

Post by Tommy Jefferson » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:50 am

I liked this part...
1) Initial Precautions
• Don't put it in your mouth.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 am

Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound is way go now it out performs AS5 and it non-conductive and does not require curing and time. I have been using it and I find it much easier to apply and work with. Personally would not touch conductive thermal compound with 10 foot pole.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:00 am

I haven't found Arctic Cooling MX-2 anywhere in Finland. But I've used Zm-STG1 its very good. But I like AS5 too. Both are excellent. I currently use AS5 in this system as it was opened unlike my ZM-STG1 ( I have both in stock )

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:13 pm

johnniecache7 wrote:Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound is way go now it out performs AS5 and it non-conductive and does not require curing and time. I have been using it and I find it much easier to apply and work with. Personally would not touch conductive thermal compound with 10 foot pole.
In what way is AS5 difficult to apply? Also note that AS5 isn't conductive (though it is slightly capacitive). As far as curing goes, I've always noticed lowered temps immediately with AS5 and the temps usually remain at those values. I've never seen anything indicative of curing.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:57 pm

jackylman wrote:In what way is AS5 difficult to apply? Also note that AS5 isn't conductive (though it is slightly capacitive). As far as curing goes, I've always noticed lowered temps immediately with AS5 and the temps usually remain at those values. I've never seen anything indicative of curing.
/sign

Arctic Silver is a piece of cake to apply. Squeeze syringe per instructions, put heatsink down, twist gently 1-2 degrees, clamp or bolt down, done.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm wrote:While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive --
Always an immediate effect for temperatures, no major improvement or degradation of performance after the 200-hour period.

I still have an Athlon XP Thunderbird with original AS on it, applied when XPs were the new kid on the block, never been reapplied, never had to. Longevity or change of form is not an issue.

If you're sloppy enough to smother your entire CPU chip in thermal paste and not clean it up, you deserve any electrical problems that result from it. :lol:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:36 am

Consider just what the purpose is of this TIM (thermal interface material). It's used only to fill in small air gaps between two supposedly flat pieces of metal. That's it.

I've been using TIM for years on CPU heatsinks.....and never could measure any temperature difference using any brand, or any "curing" time.

Here's the only difference I've found.....some brands are easier to apply, go on smoother. But those easier to apply brands also seem to dry out quicker. A TIM that has dried up to a powdery form has also shrunk up, probably causing small air pockets to reappear between the two metal pieces.

It's probably a good idea to reapply TIM every few years or so on any CPU heatsink, no matter the brand of TIM you used.

IMHO....Properly lapping a heatsink and the heat-spreader of a CPU, will give you better results than the most expensive TIM you can find.