PSU with PWM / SMBus Fan Control?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

lasitter

PSU with PWM / SMBus Fan Control?

Post by lasitter » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:46 am

Most of my PSUs are hardcoded as to fan speed and temperature. Those that can be varied usually have a knob to turn to reach the desired level of cooling, RPM and noise level.

So I thought it would be neat if I could have program control over the PSUs fan speed.

Since the system has an SMBus device header, an SMBus enabled PSU could be detected and controlled by something like SpeedFan. You could always have an internal sensor override for the PSU to let it insure a minimum speed in the event of overheating.

Thoughts on this, or modding existing PSUs to run on PWM fans?

bolek
Friend of SPCR

Post by bolek » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:13 pm

Enermax PSUs with "FCA" in the model name have fans controllable by the motherboard. They have a 3-wire lead with 3-pin fan connector that you can plug in to any fan header on the motherboard.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:25 am

You can do what I did and swap the fan in your PSU with one of your choice, then route the leads out of the PSU and to your motherboard.

lasitter

Post by lasitter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:48 am

[quote="Badger"]You can do what I did and swap the fan in your PSU with one of your choice, then route the leads out of the PSU and to your motherboard.[/quote]I think I'd like to give this a try on a PSU that has a 120x25mm fan. Just got to go shopping for it now ...