Corsair 1000W PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Joe Public

Corsair 1000W PSU

Post by Joe Public » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:22 pm

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/484

I guess they want to get into the "Kilowatt club" as well.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:07 pm

Tsk, Corsair has entered the e-penis race it seems. :P

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:11 am

Good news for the numerous guys who run a Dual Quad-Core Extreme with Quad SLI and 6 hard drives ^^

Oleg Artamonov

Post by Oleg Artamonov » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:09 am

Torajirou wrote:Good news for the numerous guys who run a Dual Quad-Core Extreme with Quad SLI and 6 hard drives ^^
Only dual?.. Only quad?.. Only 6?..

Enermax Galaxy DXX box says: Quad quad core CPUs, five GPUs and 24 hard drives!

P.S. And right now I'm testing Thermaltake 1500W...

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:13 am

this is rapidly becoming surreal....who on earth has 4 quad cores, 5 150W GFX and 24 HDD?????? a non-existent market, surely.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:41 am

You forget the e-penis factor and the tossbags who only stare at numbers. Now THAT is a big market. :lol:

tsmvengy

Post by tsmvengy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:44 am

How the hell would you even fit all that in a case? And do they even make motherboards for 4 Quad-Cores and 5 PCI-E slots? I demand pictures!

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Server boards and server cases can hold four CPUs and 24 HDDs. No comment about the five graphics cards. Maybe there is a board that can support that.

Ganzir

Post by Ganzir » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:40 pm

Take a look at this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/d ... 34702.html

2 Quad Cores and 4 Graphics-cards and you may attach 6 hard drives.

2 x 100W + 4 x 150w +6 x 10 - 30W = 860 - 980W.

So there is a market even if it is a small one i admit.

Greetz
Ganzir

Celoth

Post by Celoth » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:16 pm

Price aside, buying a PSU that only delivers *just* enough juice is rarely optimal. For silence, we'll want the PSU to run unstrained and cool, and that is partly based on effiency (there are certainly other factors too). If the efficiency of this PSU is better than others at a given watt, then it's worth considering at least, no matter the max watt rating. If peak efficieny is reached at the max load of the system components, why care about the max rating?

There's too much derision on these boards against the high wattage PSUs. No, there're almost no systems that use 1000W, but that's not really the point. Buying a 1000W PSU to power a 1000W system would be stupid. Just like buying a 300W PSU to power a 300W system would be stupid, because it would run hot and noisy. Stressing a PSU is not conducive to silent computing (or anything else)

High end rigs probably aren't common amongst posters on this forum, but they certainly exist, and there are quite a lot of heavily overclocked rigs that wouldn't run stable 24/7 on less than a quality 700W PSU. The 1000W Corsair targets that market, not the majority on this forum.

Fortunately it looks like the die shrinks of the latest chips reduce overall power consumption even though they perform better. I hope that trend continues.

chahahc

Post by chahahc » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:37 am

Ganzir wrote:Take a look at this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/d ... 34702.html

2 Quad Cores and 4 Graphics-cards and you may attach 6 hard drives.

2 x 100W + 4 x 150w +6 x 10 - 30W = 860 - 980W.

So there is a market even if it is a small one i admit.

Greetz
Ganzir

-_- ....That motherboard is even more pointless than michael jackson's nose........and I just cracked my toe nail by slamming it into my chair...It hurts :cry:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Price aside, buying a PSU that only delivers *just* enough juice is rarely optimal. For silence, we'll want the PSU to run unstrained and cool, and that is partly based on effiency (there are certainly other factors too). If the efficiency of this PSU is better than others at a given watt, then it's worth considering at least, no matter the max watt rating. If peak efficieny is reached at the max load of the system components, why care about the max rating?

There's too much derision on these boards against the high wattage PSUs. No, there're almost no systems that use 1000W, but that's not really the point. Buying a 1000W PSU to power a 1000W system would be stupid. Just like buying a 300W PSU to power a 300W system would be stupid, because it would run hot and noisy. Stressing a PSU is not conducive to silent computing (or anything else)
I aggree totally, however the real life situation is that ALL PSU's I have ever read a review on all share one thing in common - the efficiency curve, a 1000W PSU that is 80+ certified must hit 80% efficiency at 20% load and upwards, but most PSU's at 10% efficiency are usually pretty lame (low output models to a lesser degree as well).

If a PC's peak load is 300W and its nominal desktop power usage is 100W, then that 1,000W PSU is going to spend most of its time (desktop) wasting power and creating more heat than is necessary - and will usually be noisier because of that.

A 500W PSU would be ideal if that person was concerned that they might upgrade in the future and is not confident that the future products will use less power then that is a sensible buy (me a couple of years ago). A 700W would be a waste, and 1,000W is a joke.

If someone has an uber PC that uses 500W peak and 200W on the desktop then a 700W PSU would be ideal, and a 1000W PSU would be pointless.

However for the average user with a modern PC that doesnt have a gaming graphics card a 300W PSU (if you can find a decent one) would be ideal, and a 500W PSU would be a joke as the PC wouldnt use more than 200W peak.

In the end what it all comes down to is noise @ xxx load (desktop), and the noise @ xxx load (gaming, high power usage), the efficiency of the PSU, the overhead above the peak load, the warranty and the pricetag.

Most people go for overkill when it comes to PSU overhead, I did with my system but not on purpose. I wanted a passive PSU, the Phantom 350W would have been fine but was being discontinued, and others were less desirable, however the rig that its in is in my sig doesnt get that near 300W peak.

Had Antec have made a 400W version that was cheaper I would have bought it instead, it would have been more efficient at the loads it runs at and would have saved me ££ on my electric bill for the last couple of years.

Another of my systems hits a peak load of 36W (thirty-six), yet I am using a 330W PSU - why, because SS dont make a 100W PSU, if they did it would be great, and its efficiency would be so much better for my system.

Who is to blame for stupidly high powered PSU's on the market: the marketroids, the reviewers (usually shit talkers from overclocking sites), people with small penises who need something to brag about, the very small amount of people who actually need said PSU, and the vast majority of people who dont know any better. I have customers ask me from time to time "is my PSU big enough" I then test their system with their 600W PSU and it hits a peak of 124W, I then tell them that its total overkill, and replace it with a gneric 350W PSU (because I cant get any decent 300W models).
High end rigs probably aren't common amongst posters on this forum, but they certainly exist, and there are quite a lot of heavily overclocked rigs that wouldn't run stable 24/7 on less than a quality 700W PSU.
I have never understood how and why an overclocked rig needs more wattage or indeed a higher PSU overhead than a non-overclocked one - thats just bullshit. An overclocked rig has exactly the same needs as any other PC with one difference - its more sensitive to the power output from the PSU which is exactly why its bullshit.

The truth of the matter comes down to the quality of the PSU and the quality of its power output, a shit 1,000W PSU is still a shit PSU, but if that system was given a very good 500W PSU it might just be a bit more stable on an overclocked system, whereas that shit 1,000W PSU might be fine on that non-overclocked system that is only using 100W on the desktop.
Fortunately it looks like the die shrinks of the latest chips reduce overall power consumption even though they perform better. I hope that trend continues.
Hell yeah, but manufacturers will keep on making more powerful PSU's, how long will it be before there is a 3,000W PSU.!

Andy

gforcefan

Post by gforcefan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:27 pm

I don't blame corsair, but dumb users and "experts" who don't know what they are talking about. Corsair is a company that wants to make money - if they don't have a product in a given market segment, then they are losing money.

If newbie x reads on a forum that he needs an 850 watt or higher psu for his new system, he may believe it. X goes to the store and corsair only has a 620. Well, he is more inclined to buy junkie 1000 watt than corsair. Corsair has lost on a sale.

Celoth

Post by Celoth » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:32 pm

andyb wrote:If a PC's peak load is 300W and its nominal desktop power usage is 100W, then that 1,000W PSU is going to spend most of its time (desktop) wasting power and creating more heat than is necessary - and will usually be noisier because of that.
Yes of course the entire range, from idle to max load, has to be looked at when considering efficiency of the PSU.
andyb wrote:I have never understood how and why an overclocked rig needs more wattage or indeed a higher PSU overhead than a non-overclocked one - thats just bullshit. An overclocked rig has exactly the same needs as any other PC with one difference - its more sensitive to the power output from the PSU which is exactly why its bullshit.

The truth of the matter comes down to the quality of the PSU and the quality of its power output, a shit 1,000W PSU is still a shit PSU, but if that system was given a very good 500W PSU it might just be a bit more stable on an overclocked system, whereas that shit 1,000W PSU might be fine on that non-overclocked system that is only using 100W on the desktop.
Quality is always important. :)

As for overclocking, it most certainly increases power consumption. Heavily overclocked rigs can draw an extra 50%+ power, compared to stock values. That's partly because OCers increase the voltage to make the overclock stable. That goes for GPU, CPU, FSP/NB, etc. Just increasing the hertz alone draws more power. Doing a quick google search I found this older page that has some graphs and such, if you want to see some actual numbers on a GPU.
andyb wrote:Hell yeah, but manufacturers will keep on making more powerful PSU's, how long will it be before there is a 3,000W PSU.!
I actually really doubt that. I think we might see up to 2000W (we already have for that matter), but I get the feeling that manufacturers more and more start competing on efficiency, noise, ripple and features like modular cabling and software to control and monitor the PSU. PC power consumption has reached a plateau, and I think it'll go slightly down from here on out, if anything.

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:53 pm

gforcefan wrote:I don't blame corsair, but dumb users and "experts" who don't know what they are talking about. Corsair is a company that wants to make money - if they don't have a product in a given market segment, then they are losing money.

If newbie x reads on a forum that he needs an 850 watt or higher psu for his new system, he may believe it. X goes to the store and corsair only has a 620. Well, he is more inclined to buy junkie 1000 watt than corsair. Corsair has lost on a sale.
sad but true :(

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:21 pm

gforcefan wrote:
I don't blame corsair, but dumb users and "experts" who don't know what they are talking about. Corsair is a company that wants to make money - if they don't have a product in a given market segment, then they are losing money.

sad but true Sad
I aggree also, I wasnt blaming corsair or any other companies, merely marketing people. And to be fair I cant blame them either, they market what can be sold, so again this comes full circle to the people who actually sell the stuff and the reviewers who promotoe the stuff often without saying what system your "actually" need to be able to use half of its power output.
As for overclocking, it most certainly increases power consumption. Heavily overclocked rigs can draw an extra 50%+ power, compared to stock values. That's partly because OCers increase the voltage to make the overclock stable. That goes for GPU, CPU, FSP/NB, etc.
I should have said that a bit clearer, what I meant is system (a) uses 500W, system (b) uses 300W, system (c) uses 400W, which one is overclocked.??? The overclocking doesnt matter at all, its the "actual" peak power usage that matters.

Andy

Redbeard
-- Vendor --

Post by Redbeard » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:15 pm

gforcefan wrote:I don't blame corsair, but dumb users and "experts" who don't know what they are talking about. Corsair is a company that wants to make money - if they don't have a product in a given market segment, then they are losing money.

This is a large part of it honestly. Customers are buying 1000W PSUs. Our distributors and vendors want us to make a 1000W PSU because our other PSUs are selling very well. It makes sense to make one.

It will never be a huge moneymaker, 1000W PSUs are only a very small percentage of total PSU sales. But I look at it like the Corvette Z06. Yeah, maybe only a fraction of a percent of GM's customers buy a Corvette Z06, but having the Z06 wins Chevrolet some credibility, and the fans of the Z06 might buy the Cobalt SS or the Camaro SS or even a Malibu or Impala because the Z06 is just that cool.

Anyway, it's not like we started with 1000W and went down. We started where our customers wanted us, and once we had a great line-up from 450-750W, we moved into the high-end.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:25 am

Hiya Redbeard, I presume that you are not just "Vendor" but specifically a "Corsair Vendor".

You should probably change your Description and create a Signature with that information on as well.

Regards Andy

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:40 am

I'd say I wouldnt bother with the 1kW unit, no matter who made it... I'm pushing corsair vx450's and hx520's on friends these days, also trying to make them understand just how little power a modern pc uses... its a loosing battle, but some people do understand...

I just ordered an Antec Solo and a VX450 for my secondary box... :lol:

Joe Public

Post by Joe Public » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:12 am

The competition ups the ante.

1.5kW monster

Oklahoma Wolf

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Joe Public wrote:The competition ups the ante.

1.5kW monster
The ripple specs on that one are insane... I wonder if CWT isn't pushing that platform a bit too far.

Oleg Artamonov

Post by Oleg Artamonov » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:09 pm

Oklahoma Wolf wrote:The ripple specs on that one are insane... I wonder if CWT isn't pushing that platform a bit too far.
Ripple under full load
Cross-loading graph

Ripple is almost ok, but voltage stability is too bad, and 1200 W model (based on the same design) is even worse.

Oklahoma Wolf

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:24 am

Yeah, these don't seem to handle crossloading as well as other CWT designs. I actually have a CWT 1200W engineering sample (same platform) running my main computer and have had it apart a few times - 3.3V and 5V appear to be filtered on those two daughterboards with the polymer capacitors sticking up near the front. Looks like they put all their focus on the 12V side of these.

SnooP

Post by SnooP » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:07 am

Oleg Artamonov wrote:
Oklahoma Wolf wrote:The ripple specs on that one are insane... I wonder if CWT isn't pushing that platform a bit too far.
Ripple under full load
Cross-loading graph

Ripple is almost ok, but voltage stability is too bad, and 1200 W model (based on the same design) is even worse.
Hmm... JonnyGuru didn't seem to have any that problem. 5V rail was excellent, 3.3V rail dropped to 3.19V when loaded up but no lower.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details ... page_num=3