Ralf Hutter's P4C Quiet Rig

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:36 am

Supposedly that shape of fins creates a "tornado" shaped cone of air.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:13 am

Hey, I just noticed that the sawtooth shape on the trailing edge of the blade is the same effect that's on the trailing edge of the wings of the stealth bomber and fighter. Maybe this helps reduce turbulence or something. Maybe these Panaflos should be called the "True Stealth" fans. :)

Melluk
Friend of SPCR

Post by Melluk » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:37 am

So they are very quiet and they cant be detected by radar!
That's a nice bonus :lol:

axle

Post by axle » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:26 am

Ralf! First of all, excellent job. It's rare I see a system so well planned out & executed. Been a treat :)

Secondly, no insulation or soundproofing?

Lastly, I plan on copying your design very closely, I hope you don't mind :-}. Is this the 'BX' 92mm fan on digi-key?

Cheers,
alex

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:18 am

axle wrote:Ralf! First of all, excellent job. It's rare I see a system so well planned out & executed. Been a treat :)

Secondly, no insulation or soundproofing?

Lastly, I plan on copying your design very closely, I hope you don't mind :-}. Is this the 'BX' 92mm fan on digi-key?

Cheers,
alex
1) No insulation or soundproofing because this is already quiet enough. No sense making more work and expense if it's not needed.

2) No, those aren't the right Panaflos. The one you want is this one. There's only 13 left in stock so you better move real fast. There was 27 in stock about 12 hours ago. If Digi-Key runs out, I think Coolcases.com has BX version. It's not too clear though so you should call him first.

axle

Post by axle » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:42 am

Thank you, sir :) I got 3... only needed 2, but they add $5 to orders under $25 so it was like a $3 fan.

Thanks again!

futureweaver
Friend of SPCR

Post by futureweaver » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:36 pm

I notice the rear fan aperture is circular, rather than shaped to the fan exit venturi. Was this a deliberate choice - eg, easier to cut vs. minimal improvement in airflow?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:23 am

futureweaver wrote:I notice the rear fan aperture is circular, rather than shaped to the fan exit venturi. Was this a deliberate choice - eg, easier to cut vs. minimal improvement in airflow?
Are you referring to the flat sides on the fan body itself? If so, every fan I've ever seen is configured like that, and all fan holes are round so I guess it either doesn't matter or nobody has wanted to go to all the trouble it would take to match the case hole profile to the fan body profile.

Here's a pic of the case fan. It's the one on the left:

futureweaver
Friend of SPCR

Post by futureweaver » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:35 am

Ralf wrote:I guess it either doesn't matter or nobody has wanted to go to all the trouble it would take to match the case hole profile to the fan body profile.
Take a look at http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/app ... fba12g.pdf and you'll see what I mean. It's exactly what Panasonic recommend. It would be more important at highter airflows.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:01 am

futureweaver wrote:
Ralf wrote:I guess it either doesn't matter or nobody has wanted to go to all the trouble it would take to match the case hole profile to the fan body profile.
Take a look at http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/app ... fba12g.pdf and you'll see what I mean. It's exactly what Panasonic recommend. It would be more important at highter airflows.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking you meant. Can you imagine what a PITA that would be to make? You'd have to cut all your fan holes with a jigsaw or something.

My guess is that it doesn't matter too much when you're talking about the airflow from a 15cfm fan.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:25 am

It's sitting on a shelf until I decide if I'm going to sell it, or whatever.,
Fold with it, or sell it to me, the PIII man.

I can't make out the tube amp too well, whose is it? Though I think you mentioned it long before.

Whose USB D/A converter are you using? Would you like a MSB DAC as a trade? 8)

Why did you buy an Intel mobo? Of all things. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:12 am

aristide1 wrote:
It's sitting on a shelf until I decide if I'm going to sell it, or whatever.,
Fold with it, or sell it to me, the PIII man.
Got a PIII-S 1.4, a PIII-S Engineering Sample and 2 Abit ST6 MoBos. Want any of it?
aristide1 wrote:I can't make out the tube amp too well, whose is it? Though I think you mentioned it long before.
It's a Music Reference RM-200

aristide1 wrote:Whose USB D/A converter are you using? Would you like a MSB DAC as a trade? 8)
It's a Stereolink SL1200. I'm happy with it. No upgrades needed. :)
aristide1 wrote:Why did you buy an Intel mobo? Of all things. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Stability.

This P4 system (as I stated at the top of this thread) was an experiment/excercise to see if I could replace my super-stable, super-quiet PIII-S sytem with something as quiet and stable but waaay faster. I chose to base it on an Intel board because I build OEM systems with Intel boards and have never had an issue with an Intel board. They run great right out of the box with no issues and just run and run and run from there on.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:10 am

Wiring details. Main PSU wire bundle is covered with gray Flexo-pet from SVC.com. Other PSU wiring is covered with black Flexo-pet from Fry's
What are the benefits of this?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:27 pm

I should have known that was a RM-200, but the amp was a little too concealed from my brain to recognize it.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:18 am

marc999 wrote:
Wiring details. Main PSU wire bundle is covered with gray Flexo-pet from SVC.com. Other PSU wiring is covered with black Flexo-pet from Fry's
What are the benefits of this?
mmm, none except that it looks neater. There's about 50 bazillion threads posted in every computer forum from people asking "how do I clean up the wiring mess inside my case?". This is one way of doing it. Most people probably want their wiring to look neat because of the popularity of cases with windows. Prior to that no one could see the mess inside their cases, now it's out in the open for everyone to see.

For us here at SPCR and for the OCers, theoretically, if you keep your wiring and cables out of the way of the airflow it will help let the air flow easier and keep your system cooler, or quieter if you want to reduce the amount of fans in your case after you have improved the airflow.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:42 pm

Good to know Ralph, thanks. They should make some wire covering that is also engineered to reduce EMI. I guess there probably isn't enough EMI though, otherwise they probably already would have. Still, it's nice to have a nice clutter-free case, and anything that helps with that is a welcome addition.

ManuTOmanU

Post by ManuTOmanU » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:42 am

Isn't that the same Ralf as over at anandtech? :wink:

Great job, and thanks for the link... looks like an nice place here for my first post and also for the new scilent era...

P.S. I decided on the P4 Northwood C

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:19 am

ManuTOmanU wrote:Isn't that the same Ralf as over at anandtech? :wink:

Great job, and thanks for the link... looks like an nice place here for my first post and also for the new scilent era...

P.S. I decided on the P4 Northwood C
ManuTOmanU - Welcome to SPCR, you'll enjoy it here. This place is ground-zero for Silent Computing, there's lots of great info here.

Yes, it's the same me. I remember posting in your thread at AT about a silent, stable computer. The P4-C will be a good foundation to build from.

BTW - Did you come to SPCR because of my link at AT? If so, please contact MikeC so he can credit my "Kick-back fee" to my Paypal account.. :)

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:43 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:BTW - Did you come to SPCR because of my link at AT? If so, please contact MikeC so he can credit my "Kick-back fee" to my Paypal account.. :)
There's a kick-back fee ?

Mike, you owe me for two hits.

And I owe you for...a bit more than 1000 :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:28 am

ManuTOmanU did contact me about Ralf's "Kick-back fee" comment. I told him Ralf's Paypal acc is too full, they won't accept any more deposits. :mrgreen:

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:55 am

too full? man ralf how much money do you have?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:21 pm

DryFire -- that's what I told him... :wink:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:42 pm

DryFire wrote:too full? man ralf how much money do you have?
I try to pimp SPCR as much as possible and I post on a lot of forums so the ducats are adding up. I've been thinking of bidding on one of those entire towns that you see up for sale on ebay and paying for it out of my Paypal account. I'd evict everybody and live there all by myself. It'd be really silent!!

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:44 pm

Yeah, MikeC is always making up that crap to skip out on the fees. Last time I had someone PM him for my kick-back, he gave that exact excuse- but my account was in the negative!

MikeC is too cheap!

kirbysdl

Post by kirbysdl » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:02 am

Ralf: Some questions on your (kickass) case layout:

When you sleeved your power cables, I take it you had to remove the connectors on the ends first?

Do you have any links or product numbers for tools to remove and/or reattach them?

Also, EAR makes several of those elastic fan mount devices. Which are the best fit for a 120mm ball bearing panaflo (the one you used on the back of the case).

Would I need several types of those mounts for 92 and 80mm fans, or will one type work for all?
If you don't mind, could you please give product numbers that fit the 92 and 80mm fans too?

Thanks!

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:39 am

kirbysdl wrote:Ralf: Some questions on your (kickass) case layout:

When you sleeved your power cables, I take it you had to remove the connectors on the ends first?

Do you have any links or product numbers for tools to remove and/or reattach them?
Yes I removed the connectors but I didn't use one of those special Molex extractors to do it with. I just used a small eyeglass screw driver to depress the little barbs.
kirbysdl wrote:Also, EAR makes several of those elastic fan mount devices. Which are the best fit for a 120mm ball bearing panaflo (the one you used on the back of the case).

Would I need several types of those mounts for 92 and 80mm fans, or will one type work for all?
If you don't mind, could you please give product numbers that fit the 92 and 80mm fans too?

Thanks!
There's 2 different EAR fan mounts for all three sizes of fans. The best place in the US to get them is from McMaster-Carr. Type "1212" (without the quote marks) into the search box on the main page and this will take you to page 1212 of their catalog. Scroll down to the "PVC Miniature Fan Mounts" section. The number 5801K8 are the ones to use for the 120mm Panaflos. The number 5801K6 are the ones to use for the 80mm and 92mm fans.

tkortens
Friend of SPCR

Extending internal cables

Post by tkortens » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:19 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
There's 2 different EAR fan mounts for all three sizes of fans. The best place in the US to get them is from McMaster-Carr. Type "1212" (without the quote marks) into the search box on the main page and this will take you to page 1212 of their catalog. Scroll down to the "PVC Miniature Fan Mounts" section. The number 5801K8 are the ones to use for the 120mm Panaflos. The number 5801K6 are the ones to use for the 80mm and 92mm fans.
Ralf - as you clearly know your way around the US suppliers ... and are a demonstrated cable maestro ...do you - or anyone else - know where I might find some "extension cables" for my internal cables ... specifically to extend a USB front plate header with two leads going to 9 pin headers on the Mobo, and possibly longer SPID cables from the optical drives to the Mobo? I will also have to extend some fan cables to rig my Zalman fan controller.

I am doing a build in a larger Global Win case and I need about another 12 inches on most cables ... :?

I have all the cable & gear to make the splices myself as needed - I just keep imagining that this MUST be a common scenario for many folks ...

Thanks,
tk

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:17 pm

I dont know if it's long enough, but here's an 18" SPDIF cable.

Is this anything that can help for your USB needs?

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:56 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Radeonman wrote:This is his quiet rig. From what I can tell, his other rig is his music rig, and he obviously doesn't care about quality much, since he's just got a set of tinny labtec desktop speakers.
Audio on my Quiet Rig is an external USB D/A converter into my home stereo system.
I suspect this:
sounds a little better than most PC soundcard + PC speaker setups. :)

The Labtecs were a gift from my wife so they sit there for reasons of Marital Harmony.

You in the Vanderstein club too?

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:59 pm

Now if only you could afford some carpet that wasn't hideously ugly.. and maybe some window treatments.. ;)

I KID! I KID BECAUSE I LOVE!