Intel quad-core cpu:
Intel Core2 Q6600

Nvidia 8800-based graphics:
Gainward Geforce 8800GTS

4GB of ddr2 memory:
Corsair XMS2 6400 DDR2 1024MB x4

Cpu-cooler:
Scythe Ninja rev B

I am running the 120mm case fan at full speed, and the 120mm CPU-fan (the one that came with the cooler) at 1200 rpm.

Still the cpu gets quite hot. Even as I am writing this doing basically nothing, the hottest core is at 75 degrees Celsius, while system temp is 41 degs! Is this normal? If not, what kink of super-systems are other people running to get sensible temps?

Another question:
I cant seem to get speedfan to control the cpu fan (even manually), even though I have switched of Asus Q-fan. Any advice?

-k

ayjay

Post by ayjay » Wed May 02, 2007 9:38 am

been looking into practically the same system, one difference being the ultra 120 i ordered this morning, but things to note... The scythe ninja B apparently has looser pressure on the processor than the previous rev. Although it will always be hot compared to some, the temperature reporting can be all over the place depending on what you use to sample it.
http://www.behardware.com/articles/651- ... q6600.html

from this page :
"On the temperature side, we noted via Intel TAT software after 15 minutes of 4x Prime95 and the indiscrete Intel CPU cooler delivered with our model of the QX6700, the following results: 69°C with the QX6700 and 66°C with the Q6600. The Asus probe is much more kind with the Q6600, as the temperature measured is only 42° and 50° with the QX6700 (delta is a lot bigger for the second)."

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Wed May 02, 2007 10:22 am

I would try reseating the Ninja, but yes the Rev B has been quite bad for Scythe...

The Q6600 has a TDP of 105W, so it puts it at about the level as a 3.6GHz Prescott. Yes, you get 4 cores, but it does create a lot of heat at full tilt.

I don't know how to judge the 75C temperature, because that is the temp at the core. Most measurements are taken at the top of the IHS, and I think the max value for a Core 2 is around 61C. Still, 75C at basically idle is pretty bad. I would redo the heatsink application.

When you put thermal paste, did you just put a dot in the middle? Your processor has two huge dies separated underneath the IHS, so I would find out how it is separated underneath there and put thermal paste over the cores. For instance, on the Conroes (single-die, dual-core), Arctic Silver recommends putting a thin line of paste along the length of the die. I would recommend doing this along the two dies on your processor.

You wouldn't be running your Ninja passive, by any chance, would you? I have a single-core prescott running at 3.75 GHz and overvolted so that puts out about 130W. I require the stock ninja fan at 7v to keep it around 60C full-tilt.

Long reply, sorry if it's incoherent. Any questions I'll be glad to answer.

speedlever

Post by speedlever » Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 am

I'm running an E6600 on a P5B-E stock and see (Speedfan 4.32):
System: 42
CPU: 36
Seagate 7200.7: 37
WD Raptor wd740adfd: 34
Samsung HD32KJ: 28
Core1: 28
Core2: 30

My HSF is a Noctua NH-U12F with the ULNA in a push config in an Antec Solo case. The Tri-Cool runs at the mid setting.

knutinh

Post by knutinh » Wed May 02, 2007 10:37 am

tehfire wrote:I would try reseating the Ninja, but yes the Rev B has been quite bad for Scythe...

The Q6600 has a TDP of 105W, so it puts it at about the level as a 3.6GHz Prescott. Yes, you get 4 cores, but it does create a lot of heat at full tilt.
yes, but I was under the impression that scythe ninja was among the very best air-coolers out there, way better than my old thermalright 120 that is doing an excellent job cooling my p4 2.8 NW. Now, I know that the TDP of those cpus is different, but nonetheless, I was expecting that a stock ninja could at least cool the Q6600 without overheating (not considering noise)??
I don't know how to judge the 75C temperature, because that is the temp at the core. Most measurements are taken at the top of the IHS, and I think the max value for a Core 2 is around 61C. Still, 75C at basically idle is pretty bad. I would redo the heatsink application.

When you put thermal paste, did you just put a dot in the middle? Your processor has two huge dies separated underneath the IHS, so I would find out how it is separated underneath there and put thermal paste over the cores. For instance, on the Conroes (single-die, dual-core), Arctic Silver recommends putting a thin line of paste along the length of the die. I would recommend doing this along the two dies on your processor.
I spread an even, thin layer of paste ("arctic alumina") over the entire cpu surface using a pice of paper.

I have noticed that the locking mechanism of the ninja for s775 is poor. It is difficult to get a stable lock. I think that it is as tight as can be right now though.
You wouldn't be running your Ninja passive, by any chance, would you? I have a single-core prescott running at 3.75 GHz and overvolted so that puts out about 130W. I require the stock ninja fan at 7v to keep it around 60C full-tilt.
I am running the stock ninja-fan at 12V, have the PSU 120mm sucking on top and a case 120mm at 12V sucking air behind the cooler...

-k

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Wed May 02, 2007 11:45 am

What software are you using to monitor the Core temps? You want something that monitors the digital thermal sensors (DTS) as these are the sensors that the CPU uses when checking to see if it needs to throttle itself. Speedfan, CoreTemp and Intel’s TAT all use the DTSs.
There is some confusion at the moment on what the TJunction temperature is for certain CPUs. Mobile C2Ds have a temp of 100C and initial desktop C2Ds were 85C but some more recent desktop chips may also have a TJunction of 100C. This means that the chips are good for 100C although some people may be uncomfortable with that.
If you run RMClock as a background utility it will warn you when thermal throttling occurs. Personally, as long as a CPU isn’t throttling itself under load I’m not so concerned about the temps.

If it’s really 75C at idle then it will throttle under load I assume. Do you have EIST enabled?

knutinh

Post by knutinh » Wed May 02, 2007 1:12 pm

I have "jiggled" with the scythe cooler, and that seemed to do the trick.

Right now I am doing :
System = 41C
Core 0 = 46C
Core 1 = 46C
Core 2 = 40C
Core 3 = 40C

All temps from speedfan 4.32 running Vista at low load and the casefan at low speed (cpu-cooler fan still at 12V).

One interesting note: When temps were soaring, I noticed that they climbed to ~75-80C, then each core would do a jump to -30 or -40C(!) cyclic. I interpret this as each core having individual shutdown mechanisms triggering at about that temperature, and giving erroneous temp readings while waiting for the hysteresis temp to be reached?

I had a temporary "black-out" when all 4 cores reached that point, further supporting my theory. The remarkeable point is that Vista was completely stable throughout the whole thing.

Judging from the temp readings it seems that Windows (and Intel) are running them as two dual-cores, at low load/thread-counts, core0-1 will get significantly hotter than core 2-3.

Anyone got an idea why speedfan wont let me control the cpu-fan?`

-k

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed May 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Anyone got an idea why speedfan wont let me control the cpu-fan?
It cannot do that until you disable Q-Fan in the BIOS (offtopic: smilingcrow, sorry, I just haven't had the time to play around with this).

kakazza

Post by kakazza » Wed May 02, 2007 1:40 pm

On a sidenote, the new Stepping runs 10W lower at 95W

Sauce:
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31822/135/

knutinh

Post by knutinh » Wed May 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Matija wrote:
Anyone got an idea why speedfan wont let me control the cpu-fan?
It cannot do that until you disable Q-Fan in the BIOS (offtopic: smilingcrow, sorry, I just haven't had the time to play around with this).
I know, but it wont control the fan even with Q-fan switched off.

-k

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed May 02, 2007 9:15 pm

Oh, crap.

How about the other fan headers?

ayjay

Post by ayjay » Thu May 03, 2007 12:18 am

Those are much better temps. Good work. I wouldn't panic too much about the load temperatures skipping about. Others might, but I'd turn a blind eye and blame... um... the cat. Get a cat if you need one to blame. Or send hate mail to mine ;)

Fan-speed wise I find knobs on the front of the machine a much more satisfying way of controlling things.

rigurat

Post by rigurat » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:11 pm

it seems quite hot.

I have a Q6600 being cooled by a Scythe Ninja on an Antec P180 case. The motherboard is an Asus P5N32-e SLI Plus.

My current idle temperature is 32 based on what the Asus PC Probe reports.

I get load temperatures of up to 45 when using Windows Media Encoder, and it uses all 4 cores.

ayjay

Post by ayjay » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:45 am

Yours may well be the new stepping. Plus which PC probe is unreliable giving incorrect temps. On an Asus board you should get good temps from coretemp or RMclock. Essentially you can add about 15degrees to your temps there, in which case yours is rocking about the same temp as mine

Gator

BOLT THROUGH KIT!!

Post by Gator » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:55 pm

If you are only using the push-pins that came with the Ninja-B.... get a Thermalright bolt-though kit to replace the push-pins You can crank on more pressure with that and get better results. :D

jeepescu

Post by jeepescu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:58 pm

My temps on a DS3R Q6600 (G0) with pushpin lapped Ninja, P182 with all 3 tri-cools on low:
Idle: 32
Most intense real world activity that I do: 38-40 (converting RAW files to JPG and Photoshop batch processing)
Prime95: 43-44

There's a passively cooled 8400gs in my case and 3 HDs in the lower chamber. The Scythe fan that came in the box is cooling the ninja.
Temps are from Sppedfan 4.33 (adjusted +15).

Yoda117

Post by Yoda117 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:33 am

Just in case it comes up, my results with a passive Ninja Mini, HIS ATI 2600 XT with iSilence III and two HDDs are just a tad higher that Jeepscu using the same processor (Q6600 with G0 stepping) at low speed. 24-27C with TriCools on high (at idle) and 33-36C on low (at idle). I compared results using CoreTemp and Intel's utilities on a Bad Axe 2.