Oscar's Silent and Cool P182 X38 QX9650 & 8800 Rig (no56

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:54 am

Got a QX9650 in my pocket now...
Q7UE ES L734A
Can't wait to see what mine does. I was lined up to get a retail but the guy ended up getting me an ES instead :lol:

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:10 pm

So I've ried pushing the voltage lower with no success at @4Ghz.

This is particluarly warmer day 72F.

Tried first 10x400 @ 1.325. It boots fine into Windows, but Prime 95 crashed in one of the thread.

Then tried 11x364 @ 1.325. Same deal, boots fine, but no go in Prime 95.

I'm doing a run @ stock frequencies @ 1.1000V!!. This chip is FANTASTIC!! This chip is freking COLD, it's a stable freezer.
I'm so glad I've swithced my Q6600 G0, it cannot beat this temps, and cannot run at this volts with these frequencies.

Conclusion:

-@4Ghz, it definetely sits fine with 1.35VCORE. (I might try a 0.05 difference instead, somehow I feel that these CPU's respond better on 0.05V intervals.

-If you plan to run it AT STOCK, do yourself a favor and save the planet from global warming, and run it @ 1.100VCORE. COLD!! COLD!! I know it's not an extreme systems good statement, but it is extreme savings and xtreme longevity assured.

43C on Maximum Load, it's a dream for system silencers, with lo RPM fans. As a silencer I give my complete approval. Bye bye to my Q6600, welcome QX9650. Or wait for the Q9450 if you don't want to spend the $$.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:33 pm

Hello and congrats on your impressive build!

I`ve got a couple of questions:

Have you been able to measure the temps on your northbridge and/or voltage regulation areas? I was always wondering if the heatpipe coolers on those motherboards can suffice without the aid of a down facing cpu h/s.

The other question has to do with your cpu temps. I noticed that 2 of the cores are about 5 degrees cooler. Could it be that the pressure on the cpu is uneven? If this is the case (and I suspect it is because of the cooler`s weight) maybe it would be possible to compensate by using washers of different diameter in the lower part.

Anyway, it`s nice to see someone making this cpu worth it`s money :)

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:24 am

Motherboard is idling at 38C.

I did the measurements with ASUS probe.

The 2 cores running behind 5-10C is normal. I've check other guys with similar or exact builds, totally normal behavior in these Penryn chips.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:26 am

Is there a way to reliably set the voltage while SpeedStep is enabled? I can set it in the BIOS or with the MSI tool that came with my mobo, but SpeedStep seems to override it.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Rules:

When overclocking always :

-Disable SpeedStep
-Disable C1E Support
- And if your mobo has a setting to damp the vdroop that the motherboard generates, ENABLE IT. In my case (Asus) I enabled Load Line Calibration.

This way you'll make sure that the vdroop is as minimal as possible.

If you want to enable speedstep the only way to determine is trial and error. But I suggest disabling it.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks for the info.

SpeedStep is unfortunately essential for power saving. I wasn't that big on getting a massive overclock anyway.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:54 am

Update: 1.1VCORE is not good for stock :-(

After playing Gears of War and Crysis last night and running Prime stable... Today morning turned the comp on, played with it and decided to tweak a picture in Photoshop. I was doing a couple of here and ther and then the computer turned off... then Mobo said "Overclocking Faliure" which really meant "Hey dude, your vdroop kicked your balls, and the voltage is too low"

Now I'm testing it at 1.15V at stock, and so far is stable.

An update on fans... I've heard one of my fans hauling. And I identified it, it is the exahust Scyhte 21F fan (the 1600RPM) version. At certain speeds it hauls which sucks IMHO. If I turn the RPM up a little bit the haul goes away, but still I don't like it.

I'm thinking either put the 21E from Scythe instead, or try the Slipstream fans from Scythe. Any of you guys have tried them yet? If so what is your input?

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:27 am

oscar3d wrote:Now I'm testing it at 1.15V at stock, and so far is stable.
I found 1.175V to be stable at stock on a QX6700, which surprised me. In fact, SpeedStep only drops to 1.6V at the lowest (6x) multiplier.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:42 am

Have you done any testing with C1E and EIST enabled at all?
I usually leave mine enabled to let my rig take a breather when I'm not pushing it. When I get home I'll see if EIST works when I push the multiplier up.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Not sure who that was directed to but overclocking works with EIST enabled. At least, you can set the maximum multiplier/FSB. Voltage cannot be set.

matva

Post by matva » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:56 am

how effective is the padding on the door?
the door for me is already a huge factor in noise reduction. It drowns out a lot of the front intake and hdd.

Otto69

Post by Otto69 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:44 am

I just remove the two plastic inner doors and left the filters visible. The only time I need to open the front panel is to turn the computer on, or occasionally use the DVD/ROM drive

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:22 pm

It's been a while, guys:

Howdy:

I've put this into another new thread, but I wanted to update here too:

Hi all again:

This is an update coming from this old post of my rig.

viewtopic.php?t=44219&highlight=oscars

Case: P182B with pre-applied Acoustipak Deluxe V2

-Modified with tin snips and dremmel to create external SATA power/data ports on the back.

CPU: Update: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.00Ghz running @ 4.00Ghz. Not Lapped with AS5

Former CPU: Intel Cure 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz stepping G0 (SLACR)running @ 3.01Ghz. Lapped until 2000 Grit (mirror finish) and applied Arctic Silver 5.
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Lapped until 2000 Grit, mirror finish and used a 3/16 thick/ 1 1/4 diameter washer to make it a solid fit and tight.
PSU: Old good Corsair 620HX

Motherboard: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe WI/FI AP (X38 Chipset )

Video Card: EVGA 8800 Ultra KO @636 Mhz.

GPU Cooler: Zalman VF-1000 with RHS88 Ramsink, all moded with a Sctyhe Juni Slipstream 1200 RPM fan.

Sound Card: Asus Xonard D2X PCI-E which replaced a Bluegears B-Enspirer 7.1 (tossed out buggy Creative and never going back)

Memory: 4 GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 12800 (1600Mhz) rated to run at 8-8-824

HD: 3 Western Digital (2x250GB for Xp and Vista selective boot) + 1 320GB for Backup.

All drives enclosed in "the best": SMART DRIVE 2002 Copper. You can find them in endpcnoise.com they are expensive, but I've used them for 2 years now. Temps on drives never pass 32C:-)
All drives routed to the CASE using AKASA SATA PCI-BRACKET (SATA EX-BLUV)

Optical Drives: 2 ASUS DVDRW Dual Layer

Floppy Drive: Yes, matushita. Needed to run Memtest and other stuff.

Fans:

- Exhaust : Scythe S-Flex SFF21F (1600RPM) running @ 1028 RPM w/ Fanmate.

- CPU Cooler: Scythe S-Flex SFF21E (1200RPM) running @ 1028 RPM w/ Fanmate. Yes, matched speeds to assure even flow of air.

- Mid Case Fan: Scythe S-Flex SFF21D (800RPM) running @ 830 RPM. No need for undervolt, it's silent enough.

What changed:

I've now updated it to make it more silent. And the specific changes are occurring on the 8800 Ultra KO. The fan started whining on low, and it started to get into my nerves eventually.

So this is what I did, after a lot of investigation, I decided to put a modified Zalman VF-1000 with a RHS88 ramsink cooler on it.

I know you want the pcis and I will explain, as I'm sure it will answer many questions from silencer around the globe, which wonder about the VF1000.

This was my rig before.

* As you can see I don't have a space for a Thermalright HR-03 which would have been my best option. I'm always picky about using the onboard sound of my P5E3 Deluxe Wi-Fi. So the only solution was to get the first PCI-E SOundcard ever made: the Asus Xonar D2X.

The VF1000:

So this is what I did with the VF1000.

a) Before installing the RHS88, I remove all the thermal tapes. I don't want sticky crap on my board in case I want to change it again.

b) Applied Arctic Silver 5 on the GPU chip, and the memory chips. The mosfets were more risky so instad I applied Zalman STG-1 on the mosfets and the I/O chip. Zalman STG-1 is non conductive, and it has great reviews around.

And yes, there is no problem with this, as there won't be any gap between the RHS88 ramsink and the chips. I've found out that the tapes have exactly the same thickness as any thermal grease you apply.

c) Removed the awful fan from the VF1000. It might be silent on low, but it is horrible noise on high. From the crop of Fans that I have at home, I found it was about time to test the Scythe Sliptstream fans.

This one is:

SY1225SL12M 1,200 rpm 24.00 dBA 68.54CFM DC12V 0.26 A

The fan was ziptied to the base of the heatsink and then plugged to a Fanmate, to undervolt it a little bit. And kept it running at about 1110 RPM.

The rig now:

If it wasn't for the stupid design ideas from Asus X38 boards, to have the first PCI-E two steps below, I wouldn't have gotten into all this trouble.

I've replaced my PCI Bluegears B-Enspirer for the Xonar D2X Soundcard, and yes, even if it is designed for PCI-E 1x, it can also fit on any other PCI-E 1x, 8x, 16x.

You wonder why the Xonar looks bent in the picture? Since it's physical contact is PCI-E 1x there is an empty space, so the card doesn't have the other "rest" to be kept in the place. Once you screw it, it tends to go up. But believe me there is nothing wrong.

Observe the space between the card v/s the sound card: About 1 PCI of space. And believe me I did my homework taking measurements, unfortunately again it is impossible to install a Thermalright HR-03 on this, without sacrificing the soundcard.

Results:

Results Before the Update:

CPU running @ 4Ghz

Idle: 35C
Load: 63C

GPU

On Idle: 67 C
On Load: 82 C

Results After the Update:

CPU running @ 4Ghz

Idle: 36C
Load: 63C

GPU After 1 hr playing Assasin's Creed.

On Idle: 52 C
On Load: 75 C

I cannot say how much happy I am that my work payed off well.

I was really nervous thinking that this was not going to work.

The CPU only gained 1C-2C on load, and that is expected since the GPU does not exhaust air any more, and instead is relying on the exhasust 120mm fan to get rid of the hot air.

The results on the GPU are DRAMATIC:

About 15C less on idle. But just only 7C less on load. Yes, the HR-03 can be much better, but this is not that bad considering we are talking about a factory overclocked 8800 Ultra, running at 636Mhz on the core.

The Scythe Slipstream:

WOW!!
And I can say this again. This is by far one of the most silent and incredible fans ever tested by me. It is really pushing a lot of air for this card, and also helping the rest of the equipment to be cool as well. It is by far much better noisewise than the SFF21E that I have installed before.

Seriously you need to try this fan. You won't regret it.

I'm even thinking about replacing the exhaust case fan: Scythe SFF21F (1600RPM), and get one of this.

I'm right now ordering 3 Noctua fans:Two 1200RPMS and one 800RPM, to see if I can make this rig better.

Overall this rig is fresh on the inside, depite the furnace this GPU pictures.

And I cannot be more happy with how quiet this is now!!! But again it can be better? I'll wait for the noctuas...

Any suggestions are ver, very appreciated....
And yes:

Finally back panel pictures (thanks again to falcon26 and Konneticut for their awesome cabling ideas). I had to take it out to install my third Fanmate....

Thanks SPCR!!! I hope this helps others.