My first so-so silent build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mythy

My first so-so silent build

Post by Mythy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Make no mistake this is a gaming beast! 14,300 in 3DMard06! And 10,500 in PCMark05! CPU is a Q6600 G0 and its clock it 3GHz-3.4 depending if the side case panel is on :) SHe has 2TB of storage space and a 150GB raptor for Vista 64bit Ultimate. Memory is 2GB os OCZ SLI 8500 with Micron D9 chips.

IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR MODING THIS CASE PLEASE POST!

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:35 pm

damn, it already looks well planned...very neat cabling, good components...you even added more sound dampening to the already sound dampened P180 :wink:

i would just say...get some better camera shots, haha...they're a little blurry :o

*oh and where's the sound card mister?!

Mythy

Post by Mythy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:38 pm

actually the top and back has 2 layers. One is dynamate then the foam on top 8) The side panels are waiting for funds to be completed along with new case fans.

I cant decided if I should cut the rear fan guard out and if I should install the top fan...

Ideas opinions?

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:18 pm

you won't need the rear top fan and you could cut out the fan guard, but i'd put at least some metal grill on the outside...or stray fingers or cables might get chop suey'd

bryan_d

Post by bryan_d » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:21 pm

I would recommend cutting out the fan grills, or just leaving them intact, incase you fear any outside intrusion (no point in cutting them out if you are going to install a grill/gaurd afterwards?)

If those are rubber bands holding the fan in place atop the TRU120, I would suggest using the clips instead... the rubber will degrade and snap eventually.

Other than the few tiny quirks, great job.

What do you have instore for the video card?

bryan d

Mythy

Post by Mythy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:29 pm

Its a temp card theres a new GTS based on the G92 core coming out that I will step-up to and then I'll buy a second for SLI when the time comes. So basically I will have no room for a after market heat sink but at least the sock is silent :lol:

and the rubbers.. they break every 6 or 7 hours :P Literally it goes all night without a fan and its fine say 52-54C no big deal.The clips don't work because the fan has closed corners

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:59 pm

drilling holes in the fan's frame is A LOT easier and better than those rubber bands in the long haul

if you have a dremel, you can easily just cut off the closed flanges

a razor or exacto-knife could probably work as well...just it would take some more time/skill

Mythy

Post by Mythy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:20 pm

bryan_d

Post by bryan_d » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:18 am

I have that controller and it works great, but is extremely bright; it can light up the hallway that runs perpendicular to my room!

I too have closed corners on my Yate-Loons, but a dremel and some pliers took care of that. Even with the fan off, the heat from the heatsink will degrade over time when it is installed. I would hate to see a future thread of your with the title " Don't Use Rubber Bands: Just killed my new GTS :( "

:)

bryan d

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:40 am

You can cut off a part of the fan with scissors. That's what I did and the thermalright clips fit fine :P Sigh, I might could get ahold of a camera if needed, but I bet there's a thread in here showing how to do it. Hint: you cut behind the fan corner so the clips can fit in - if you can't figure it out, maybe I can post a picture.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:25 am

bryan_d wrote:I would recommend cutting out the fan grills, or just leaving them intact, incase you fear any outside intrusion (no point in cutting them out if you are going to install a grill/gaurd afterwards?)

If those are rubber bands holding the fan in place atop the TRU120, I would suggest using the clips instead... the rubber will degrade and snap eventually.

Other than the few tiny quirks, great job.

What do you have instore for the video card?

bryan d
a wire guard provides almost no change to the airflow path, no impedance. however, the stamped guards provide a huge change.

it's worth it to remove them and replace them if you feel there's a good chance of stuff going thru them.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:28 am

Mythy wrote:Its a temp card theres a new GTS based on the G92 core coming out that I will step-up to and then I'll buy a second for SLI when the time comes. So basically I will have no room for a after market heat sink but at least the sock is silent :lol:

and the rubbers.. they break every 6 or 7 hours :P Literally it goes all night without a fan and its fine say 52-54C no big deal.The clips don't work because the fan has closed corners

if you're dead-set on not breaking the flanges, then just use nylon tie-straps. much more sturdy than rubber bands.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:30 am

Trip wrote:You can cut off a part of the fan with scissors. That's what I did and the thermalright clips fit fine :P Sigh, I might could get ahold of a camera if needed, but I bet there's a thread in here showing how to do it. Hint: you cut behind the fan corner so the clips can fit in - if you can't figure it out, maybe I can post a picture.
the suggestion i saw that seemed to work best (note, i havent done this) was using a hacksaw just behind the holes on both sides. then when you've sawed far enough in, use a pair of pliers and crush the closed portion.