Is the p150/p180/p182/solo...etc necessary for a quiet pc?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

deprenyl

Is the p150/p180/p182/solo...etc necessary for a quiet pc?

Post by deprenyl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:54 am

Hey guys, im a bit confused here. On one hand, im really liking the looks of the Asus VENTO TA-915 case (plus its cheap price!), however I see these forums filled with the antec p150/p180/p182/solo...etc cases. I was wondering if those cases were vital for a silent pc? Im planning to replace the single 80mm stock fan that comes with the TA-915 to a Nexus 120mm (it supports 120mm thankfully) and put in a bunch of quiet, spcr recommended parts such as Scythe Ninja CPU Cooler, HX520, WD Caviar SE 500GB WK5000KS.

Thanks, i look forward to your comments!

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:12 am

They are not vital to a silent PC, heck i have a silent rig running without a case at all. They do make it more easy to silence / optimize the rig due to good airflow design, seperate chambers, fan placements for 120mm fans and solid cable management options.

Basically, take the case you like, just don't be afraid to modify it (internally) to better suit your needs.

deprenyl

Post by deprenyl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:19 am

great, i think i will go with my desired case then. will definately change the stock 80mm fan to a 120mm nexus, maybe add an extra nexus at the front of the case for a better airflow. also might have to do something about the harddrive bay if rubber grommets etc arent included. thanks for ur comment

BlueCan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BlueCan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:24 pm

As the OP said, you don't NEED a Solo/P150/P18X/P19X to get quiet computing. It just makes things easier, as they were designed with the idea of "quiet" in mind... There are plenty of other cases on the market that can be quiet, given a little work.
deprenyl wrote:great, i think i will go with my desired case then. will definately change the stock 80mm fan to a 120mm nexus, maybe add an extra nexus at the front of the case for a better airflow.
Before you add a fan to the front of the case, check to see if you need it. It will add more potential noise, for certain...

I just removed a nexus 92 from the front of my P150 and both my temps and noise dropped... :roll:

-Patrick

quadraphonic

Post by quadraphonic » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:46 pm

Why would the temps DROP? I'm running a similar set-up.. maybe it's worth trying.

On-topic.. I don't like many cases, but I like the looks of the 915. Granted, I've got a Solo and it looks fairly similar.

Luminair

Re: Is the p150/p180/p182/solo...etc necessary for a quiet p

Post by Luminair » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:53 pm

deprenyl wrote:Hey guys, im a bit confused here. On one hand, im really liking the looks of the Asus VENTO TA-915 case (plus its cheap price!), however I see these forums filled with the antec p150/p180/p182/solo...etc cases. I was wondering if those cases were vital for a silent pc? Im planning to replace the single 80mm stock fan that comes with the TA-915 to a Nexus 120mm (it supports 120mm thankfully) and put in a bunch of quiet, spcr recommended parts such as Scythe Ninja CPU Cooler, HX520, WD Caviar SE 500GB WK5000KS.

Thanks, i look forward to your comments!
Cheaper cases are made worse and can rattle and vibrate more.

Cases with less efficient and effective air flow (due to worse fan+component placement and lack of behind-the-tray cable routing) make you need more noisy fans if you want to produce the same cooling results as you would with a better case.

The Antec cases have hard drive vibration isolation systems built in so they are quieter than other cases, where to reach that level of quietness you have to build things yourself.

The P180/P182 lineup has laminated panels which keep noise in the case and nullify panel vibration.

So... no, Antec cases are not strictly required. You could always build a silent low power system with no fans and put it in a cardboard box!