Not sure [whether] to buy an Antec Solo or P182 ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dannyuk32

Not sure [whether] to buy an Antec Solo or P182 ?

Post by dannyuk32 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:29 am

Hi,
Not sure which one to buy....
About to start a new build which will be used for gaming, video , family etc. I want to buy a Geforce 512mb 8800 GTS (dual slot cooler, heat pumping out the back of the case )
Motherboard Abit ib35 pro.
The rest, standard stuff.. one SATA DVD drive , one SATA 500 gb Hard drive, 500 watt power supply, 2GB memory, Soundcard, E6800 dual core.
I already have an Antec Solo at the moment that I will keep with my current system I'm using right now.
I love this case and would quite happily by another one but only thing that concerns me with my chosen graphics card it may be a little cramped which could makes things hotter?
On the other hand I have heard the Solo has better air flow than the P182?? and easier for a novice builder like myself. I don't really want to tinker too much.
If there's hardly any difference I'd go for the Solo due to space issues.
What case do you think would be be best for me.
Thanks, Danny.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:08 pm

The P182 isn't what I'd call an easy case. I had issues with the mobo power connectors. The 24 pin did work but the 4 pin required an extension. Without the extension the cable was wrapped around the bottom of the video card slot and barely reached. Worst part was it's hard to find those extensions and I had to go online.

Another issue is size. The P182 is huge. If you plan on moving it much it will become a pain. I pack mine up monthly and it's not easy to even get a grip on it.

But the P182 is really quiet. I did nothing but move my stuff out of my old case and into the P182 and the stock fans were very quiet (imo). I can barely hear any air movement. The only thing I hear now is one of my hard drives. Also the temps are good but it is the cold time of the year so hard to really be sure on that.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:13 pm

The way I see it, the SOLO has better intake, the P182 has better exhaust. The SOLO has a larger intake area at the front without restrictive doors covering the filter like the P182 has. But then again, the P182 doesn't have to deal with heat from hard drives and PSU in the upper chamber, so it can get away with less intake area.

For reference, a year ago I built a system for a friend in the cramped Fusion, with a 8800GTS and a E6600. He hasn't had any issues since then so I think you should be more than fine with the SOLO.

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:41 pm

My system is similar to the one you're planning to build (see "sewage" on the page linked in my signature). Main difference is I have a much wimpier (and cooler) video card.

But, I transported this system from a P182 to the Solo, and saw an increase in temperature, but only by a couple degrees or so. All components are still well within healthy temperature ranges.

If all the components will fit, I'd say it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

dannyuk32

Post by dannyuk32 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback\help guys. :wink:

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:29 am

Before going for the old E6800, you should check this article about the new 45 nm dual-cores, which should be available soon:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... fdale.html
Only the quad-cores are delayed, due to excessive bus noise, but not the dual-cores:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10255

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:23 am

Tzupy wrote:Before going for the old E6800, you should check this article about the new 45 nm dual-cores, which should be available soon:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... fdale.html
Only the quad-cores are delayed, due to excessive bus noise, but not the dual-cores:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10255
Sadly the release date is 1st quarter so I think odds are good we won't see these until March. I'm really not patient when it comes to making a new build so I'm having a hard time trying to wait for these cpus. But the article really makes them sound like a sweet deal.

dannyuk32

Post by dannyuk32 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:54 am

Thanks for that about the new dual cores... had no idea these were coming out. I was thinking of starting my build in 2 or 3 weeks time. Will keep an eye out see if these things are close to being released and decide.

jimbo7707

Post by jimbo7707 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:23 pm

I was getting ready to put together a new machine but after seeing this release yesterday have decided to wait a few weeks. The 2 core Wolfdale's will be available in the second have of this month and since I was going to go with the 2 core Conroe anyway I might as well wait until these come out in a week or two and get little more performance with a little less heat and energy consumption at the same price.