In what order do you asssemble it?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Soterius

In what order do you asssemble it?

Post by Soterius » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:44 am

I got most of my new rig delivered and started building but I'm not sure in which order to assemble the parts. From what I've read, it's best to first put the CPU and TRUE on the motherboard before you put the motherboard in the case. But what about the 8800 GT and the Accelero S1? Is it best to put them on the MB after the MB goes in the case or before that?

Noob-questions, I know..take it easy :) (especially my next question)

The Slip Stream fans...which side of them blows and which side of them sucks? Been spinning them with my finger to find out but it seems the result is different whether I turn it clockwise or counter-clockwise :lol:... The thing is: When I try to attach one of them to the upper HD drive (to use it as middle fan), the clips which hold it in place fit better when the fan label is pointed to the front of the case, is that correct?

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:51 am

I always put the motherboard in the pc and then install the CPU and heatsink. Might not be the best method by the way.
Put the Accelero on the 8800GT before you put the 8800GT on the motherboard. Install them after you've placed the motherboard.

About fans: the side where the fan-center is [held] with the plastic is the side the fan blows to. [The air blows out the side with the support struts.] Often you can see some arrows on the side of the fan indicating the airflow direction and the spin-direction too.

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:25 am

FlorisNielssen wrote:I always put the motherboard in the pc and then install the CPU and heatsink.
That will only work for heatsinks with pushpins or similar. If the heatsink uses a backplate underneath the board, you should at least attach this first - but I install cpu + heatsink outside of the case, simply because you have more room to get to it.

Then put the accellero on your graphics card, but only install the card once the motherboard is in the case. You might not even get it in with the card installed depending on your chassis!

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:24 am

I would strongly recommend putting on the CPU outside the case. Maybe it's just me but I have had issues with the clamp mechanisms on my cpu coolers and having to work in cramped quarters just makes it insanely more difficult. The mb going into the case is what I try to do last.

I would also very strongly recommend you first put it all together and THEN try the Accelero S1. What if the card is dead? Get it all working first then add the extras if you ask me. Especially with a video card which I find easy to add/remove.

With fans I just look for the arrow. Some don't have one but most do. It can be hard to find but it should be there.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:35 am

All the fans I've ever handled have had their intake on the 'clear' side, where there's just the blades and the plastic centre hub. Exhaust is then of course on the side with the mounting for the motor. Rule of thumb: primary use is exhaust, so cover is on the exhaust side. (was already pointed out, so pardon the repetition)

I'm an advocate for slipping on the CPU and cooler outside as well. You can even use the cooler as a handle later on if you're careful. :wink:

I don't think there's any reason not to put the mobo in after the PSU in an ATX tower case. It's going to be the bottom part, so you'll want the least obstructions on the way.

Modification is indeed best done after you have the basics going, unless you feel adventurous. I always assemble my rigs fully and then spend a good few minutes looking for that little pin or cable that's wrong, making the whole thing fail POST. :lol:

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:41 am

I assemble it this way:

1. Put CPU and it's heatsink on the motherboard.
2. Put Ram on the motherboard.
3. Put Motherboard in case.
4. PSU.
5. Harddisks, DVD drives.
6. PCI cards, Graphiccards.
7. Cables.
8. Fans / Fancontroller.

Before all this though, comes the occasional modding / painting of the case.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:12 am

I'll second what others have said, using a TRUE you'll need to install the CPU HSF before putting the mobo inside the case if using a backplate. And ditto the comment on testing the system first before putting on the S1.

However, I disagree with seraphyn's step 4. That should be the first thing to go in the case, so you can determine cable layout and run any wires underneath the mobo if you need to. Also you don't want to slip and drop a PSU inside your case with a mobo in it...

Soterius

Post by Soterius » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks a lot, guys! I'm gonna try to assemble the CPU and MB tonight, wish me luck ;)

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:01 pm

jhhoffma wrote:However, I disagree with seraphyn's step 4. That should be the first thing to go in the case, so you can determine cable layout and run any wires underneath the mobo if you need to. Also you don't want to slip and drop a PSU inside your case with a mobo in it...
I never put cables under the motherboard itself, i put them under the aluminium which the motherboard is bolted on. On top of that, i got a sturdy grip :P

But when the PSU is above the motherboard i tend to put that in first, yeah. Haven't had a case that put the PSU above the motherboard for a while though.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:22 pm

It's a good idea to test the CPU/mobo/RAM/video/PSU outside the case before you put it inside. Set it down on a piece of wood or cardboard and use a jumper or screwdriver short the power switch connector to turn it on.

Once you have it inside the case it's an enormous hassle to take it out.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:12 pm

As for fan direction...

Nearly all (but of course not all) fans have two arrows on the fan body: one showing rotation direction, and the other showing air flow direction. Look at the sides of the casing, near the center of each side.

Also, nearly all (but again not all) fans blow air towards the side of the fan that has the sticker on the hub/motor.

mnekic

Post by mnekic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:28 pm

1. PSU Cabling - yes this may be odd, but i do my best to imagine where connectors will be, and then zip tie, tape and heatshrink away ! i'm quite proud of the cabling done in my P182.

2. CPU - self explanatory

3. HSF - as was stated by another poster, you can go insane doing this in the case, and i have huge hands.

4. RAM - easy enough.

5. step back and look at what else you could install now before putting the Mobo in.

6. install whatever else you thought of.

7. Put motherboard in its place.

8. video card.

9. connect cables.

10. put sides back on

11. clean up bits of zipties and other clag lying around the room

12. POWER ON :D

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:13 am

Pushing memory sticks in their slot sometimes need a lot of force. When you try this while the motherboard is in the case, it sometimes flexes and bends beyond what I think is healthy for a motherboard. Therefore I always put memory in the motherboard while it is lying on a piece of cardboard or something similar.
If you can get a cpu cooler on your motherboard while it is in the case, put the movie on youtube, you will probably be awarded best pc builder of the year ;)

shathal

Post by shathal » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:31 am

Aye - the coolers are a pain at the best of times.

If you do manage, it's not so much the "PC Builder of the year award" but rather the "How's he turn his fingers into thin air, yet can still exude force?" I'd be curious about.

Do it outside - you'll save yourself a lot of nerves + grey hairs :).

Soterius

Post by Soterius » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks for all the opinions and info, I couldn't manage without you guys :D

Well, I guess I got through the most difficult part: Installing CPU and TRUE. Man, that was quite difficult! It was my aim to keep the thermal paste in the centre of the processor so I had to place the TRUE on the right spot directly. If the TRUE moves once you put it on the CPU, it will spread the paste more to the side of the CPU. When screwing the TRUE tot the MB it was almost impossible to prevent it from moving. There's so much space between the TRUE mounting bracket and the MB so you have to push it down in order to get the screws in the holes. The problem is you can't push all four ends of the bracket down at the same time but when you push one end down it will push the TRUE a bit in the opposite direction, which of course makes the thermal paste spread too far. So I ended up cleaning and re-applying the thermal paste a few times, which made me very nervous (and curse a lot!!). Eventually I somehow managed to attach the thing without moving it too much but I still feel bad about the repeated cleaning and applying of thermal paste... :?

Today I placed the MB in the case, installed the HDD and had all the fans installed. My 8800 GT and Corsair memory modules were delivered today as well, so I'll try to get those in tonight. Not looking forward to connecting all the cables since I have no clue which connector goes into what plug, whether the fans should be connected to the MB or directly to the PSU and so on... So I guess I'm on my way to click on the "SEARCH" button now :wink:

protellect

Post by protellect » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:41 pm

I put the whole thing together outside of the case... who knows if you're going to have a DOA part [aka, motherboard] before you put it in the case.

You put the whole thing, only to find out you have to disassemble it to RMA it. pretty stinky. =)

I'd highly recommend putting the heatsink on OUTSIDE of the case.... with clips and things, makes life a lot easier to have room to work with.

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:59 pm

Soterius wrote:Well, I guess I got through the most difficult part: Installing CPU and TRUE. Man, that was quite difficult! It was my aim to keep the thermal paste in the centre of the processor so I had to place the TRUE on the right spot directly. If the TRUE moves once you put it on the CPU, it will spread the paste more to the side of the CPU. When screwing the TRUE tot the MB it was almost impossible to prevent it from moving. There's so much space between the TRUE mounting bracket and the MB so you have to push it down in order to get the screws in the holes. The problem is you can't push all four ends of the bracket down at the same time but when you push one end down it will push the TRUE a bit in the opposite direction, which of course makes the thermal paste spread too far. So I ended up cleaning and re-applying the thermal paste a few times, which made me very nervous (and curse a lot!!). Eventually I somehow managed to attach the thing without moving it too much but I still feel bad about the repeated cleaning and applying of thermal paste... :?
Ugh
I just went through the same experience with my Ultima 90
I had meant to post about that, since I've never seen this issue mentioned, but hadn't had the chance.

I eventually gave up and just left it on there, even though my last application still involved some heat sink sliding. My temperatures seem okay...

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm

Here's my sequence:
Install PSU and case fans. Easiest while the box is empty
CPU and cooler onto MB. No way around it with a bolt thru cooler. It's good to check pushpins from the back on a pushpin setup. And access is easier on an AMD mount.
Install MB
Run all the noodly little case wires (pwr switch, front panel audio, USB, fans, etc) I find this easier to do before all the other crap blocks your view or sometimes, access.
RAM But it's probably even easier to do this before installing the MB
PSU to MB cables
Optical and HDDs
(and their cables)
Expansion cards Graphics, sound, etc.