First time post, I'm building my first silent PC (update)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Klasital

First time post, I'm building my first silent PC (update)

Post by Klasital » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:41 pm

HI everyone. I've been reading this forum for a while now, and I finally decided that my laptop isn't powerful enough, so I have purchased some new components and hopefully put together a silent but powerful computer together with the advises that I've gather from forum members here

Its been a long time since I built my last computer, so hopefully if I run into any problem, I might get some help here from forum members.

I have ordered the following list of items so far.
CPU: E2140
Motherboard: Asus P5E X38
Case: Lian Li PC-S80 Silver
Harddrive: WD 250GB 2500YS model with 16mb cache
Powersupply: Zalman ZM 600 HP (heatpipe cooled)
2x 24inch Westinghouse 1920x1020 resolution LCD monitor

I haven't decided a video card yet, but I might go with ATI HD 3870
Last edited by Klasital on Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Today I came home, and received my case and 2 monitors. Sweet :o
Here are some pictures, hopefully I will put everything together after thanksgiving weekend.

Huge Case, i was surprise. Its my first Lian Li all aluminum case, I'm very satisified at the quality

The front of case, the door latch mechanism is amazing. It jsut scream quality

Another Shot of the front door

Too bad, it doesnt' open all the way, only like 130 degrees

Side of computer, the back has a weird cover

This is the hump I described

2nd Layer of the case

Took the cover off, wires are kinda messy

Dont know what to do with the cover

First montor, already setup

2nd monitor, laying on the floor. I need a place to put it. My IKEA desk obviously isn't large enoguh

3840x1200 resolution for the win

inside the case 'For real'

Harddrive rack

Harddrive rack 2

THE air tunnel

Well, That's all for now, I'll keep you guys updated

scrandman

Post by scrandman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:57 am

That case is HUGE!

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:19 pm

Just a little update.
The stock that comes with the case is definately audible even with the double wall and muffler.

THe case temperature is excellent, with a stock intel cooler I have my E2140 oc to 3.3ghz and its only at 66C full load

I think with a semi decent HSF combo, it should be well belwo 42C under load.

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:46 pm

I suggest you an Ati 3870. Nice case, give us more photos :D

elec999

Post by elec999 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:15 pm

Nice build. How are the dual 24.
Thanks

Edhermosa

Post by Edhermosa » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:17 pm

Wow, I'm just about to upload my own build using the Lian Li PC-S80A. After seeing all of the Antec cases, I wanted to post my Lian Li and you beat me to it. :lol:

Best of luck with your new build!!

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Right now all the components are inside the case.
I have 4 harddrives now, and it is a mess.
The clearance between the harddrives and the inner layer is kinda tight, I had to bend the wires on 4 pin molex connectors almost to a 90 degree angle to close the inner wall.

Wire management is kind difficult, there are obviously no cubby holes to run the cables through.

If you have a motherboard that has the sata connectors on the right side of mobo that are facing out instead of facing up, you might run into problems, becuase the clearance between the mobo and harddrive cage is so tight, I had to connect the sata cables to the mobo outside the case, then move it inside the case and screw it down.

Another thing is that you wont be able to fit a GTX in there, unless you unrivet the harddrive case, my 8800GT barely fits inside, and might as well forget about the new RV680 with dual GPU

The PSU plate is cleverly designed, you basically just screw whatever PSU to that plate and slide it inside the case, however I have a ZALMAN HP series PSU, so the power connector is on the right side, so the orientation is the opposite of a regular PSU, so I had to turn the PSU upside down, so now the PSU exhaust fan is facing up, it doesn't exhaust hot air from the main chamber, it might have an effect with overall case temperature.

Well everything else is good about the case, just the harddrive cage kinda bothers me.

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:19 pm

My Stock CPU Cooler ^_^
THe Molex connector (Tight fit against the innter wall)
Messy cable job
Tight Sata cable clearance
The PSU fan facing up
Image[/img]

neon joe

Post by neon joe » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:58 am

It looks like there is room for the cables on the 'backside' of the hard drive cage, if so, you should consider turning your hard drives around. When I had an Antec Sonata, it helped with cable management.

I'm also surprised that Lian Li made the fins on the hard drive heatsinks perpendicular to airflow...

Nice build, btw!

Jeff Cutsinger

Re: First time post, I'm building my first silent PC [56k be

Post by Jeff Cutsinger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:03 am

Klasital wrote: 2x 24inch Westinghouse 1920x1020 resolution LCD monitor
I'm probably going to get two of these, too. Let me know what you think of them-- I'm debating whether to get them or just one (really nice) 26-28" monitor.

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:51 am

Jeff Cutsinger wrote:
I'm probably going to get two of these, too. Let me know what you think of them-- I'm debating whether to get them or just one (really nice) 26-28" monitor.
The screens are awesome. I hear alot people talking about TN panel or whatever, but I honestly think the westinghouse produces solid LCD monitors.

The screen is very bright, I have not noticed any ghosting in any of the FPS games I've played, that includes COD4, BIOSHOCK.

I would highly recommend them to you, they are cheap too like 350 bucks from newegg after rebate.

Jeff Cutsinger

Post by Jeff Cutsinger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:42 am

Klasital wrote:
Jeff Cutsinger wrote:
The screens are awesome. I hear alot people talking about TN panel or whatever, but I honestly think the westinghouse produces solid LCD monitors.

The screen is very bright, I have not noticed any ghosting in any of the FPS games I've played, that includes COD4, BIOSHOCK.

I would highly recommend them to you, they are cheap too like 350 bucks from newegg after rebate.
Good. I hope the price stays low until after the season. bt-dub, they aren't TN panels, they're MVA.

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:22 pm

That motherboard looks like it has some pretty extreme passive cooling!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:49 pm

Hello,

It would certainly be quieter, and probably cooler, if you removed that black perforated screen on the rear exhaust fan, and replace it with a wire grill -- or nothing.

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:09 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

It would certainly be quieter, and probably cooler, if you removed that black perforated screen on the rear exhaust fan, and replace it with a wire grill -- or nothing.
Good idea, that screen is just glued on there, so it shouldn't have any issues taking it off
Actually with the side vents, alot of dust is sucked in, I've only had the comp for like 3 weeks, and it's already pretty dusty all over the side vents. =(

Vahan

Post by Vahan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:27 am

that hard drive rack looks really cool :lol:

would be nice if the heatsink-like part was separated from the rack with some sound dampening material. i'm sure lian-li could make space for it in a future revision. oh and dump the stock heatsink lol. its ugly :P. i'd love to see a passive one with the excellent cooling in that case.

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:19 am

Vahan wrote:that hard drive rack looks really cool :lol:

would be nice if the heatsink-like part was separated from the rack with some sound dampening material. i'm sure lian-li could make space for it in a future revision. oh and dump the stock heatsink lol. its ugly :P. i'd love to see a passive one with the excellent cooling in that case.
I think I'm gonna remove the harddrive that's connected by the old IDE cables. I have done some clean up jobs, and tonight I'll try flip the harddrives around to hide the cables, but it looks like I might need those 90 degree angled Sata and power cables.

As for the heatsink, I'm waiting for the Noctua NH-U12P to come out, or the full copper ninja, its very possible to build a very silent machine based on this computer case.

The loudest thing in it right now is the CPU fan, it change from 1600rpm to 2900rpm depends on the CPU load. Well you can always hear the harddrives, but I actually dont mind it, it sounds much nicer than the constant fan noise.

Be aware, this case is very dangerous, I had 2 cuts on my fingers already installing new video card and harddrive. I'm afraid to open it again =(

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:51 pm

So I've done some clean up work, removed one drive and rewired abunch of stuff.

Is this considered neat wiring by any standards? =(
Though that is the best I can do.

When the heck does the new Noctua NH-U12P come out? I really want to upgrade my stock cooler and start overclocking, though even with stock cooler I got my E2140 from 1.6ghz to 3.3ghz, but I think I might be able to go higher with something better than stock.

Klasital

NH-U12P

Post by Klasital » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:16 pm

Okay I have got the Noctua NH-U12P heatsink and fan now. So here are some pictures of my improved setup.

Also I have added in another HD 3870 for crossfire, and I'm very satisified with the little noise output by the stock cooler.

chahahc

Post by chahahc » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:22 pm

crossfire...oh boy....crysis player? :o

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:58 pm

chahahc wrote:crossfire...oh boy....crysis player? :o
No, even with crossfire I can only play at all medium setting with frame rate at about 40.

I have a large screen so I can't run the game at native 1920x1200, I had to instead run it at 1650x1080.

Well I play TF2 though, that game is mad fun =P

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:56 am

nice Crossfire ^^ ( I have HD 3850 Crossfire in my game rig and it runs games very, very nicely. I have a lot smaller screen though. It seems Crossfire indeed scales better than Sli ) Your rig looks awesome. Clean and nice rig which has plenty power )

What fan is that? Is that regular Noctua or is it the NF-S12P fan with wicked looking blades?

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:10 am

That fan is indeed the new NH-P12 fan, I have the new noctua Heatsink, so the fan came with it.

The heatsink can cool the cpu passively, but I had changed my mind and put the fan directedly on the heatsink and temp dropped a whopping 10C.

Lian Li is stupid, in their design the rear fan is not exhaust fan, it is instead an intake fan, so the hot air pumped out from the 2 HD 3870 is sucked straight back into the case, so I reversed the fan orientation and big improvement in temperature.

I have swapped out my two stock lian li fans with 2 Yate Loon fans for the front intakes, I have them on at full speed right now, but I've tried with all the fans running at 5v, the case became so quiet I started to hear the ugly seeking noise from the harddrives. I hated it, so I took the 5v resistor off all the fans, and the fans are louder than the harddrives, but the noise is much more pleasant

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:15 am

most Lian-Li cases are designed to have Back -> Front airflow...is your case reversable to BTX?

the one thing that separates me from Lian-Li is the design of airflow...not even the price, i just don't like the way air flows through the case.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:28 am

Those HDD-sledges are teh pr0n when it comes to HDD-cages. Seeing the build-quality makes me want one... Want one really bad :wink:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:49 am

Hello,

The HD sleeves themselves are pretty fancy looking, but the way they are oriented seems to be problematic. The frame would seem to have the same/similar issues that the Antec Sonata, making easy air flow through the cage fairly rough. And the fins/grooves on the sleeves are also oriented across the air flow direction, making them less effective, I would think. If they were mounting in the same direction as they are in the Solo, that would be better?

elec999

Post by elec999 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:39 am

Can you post pics and tell me how are the 24in lcds side by side. I have one right now, and am thinking of a second one.
Thanks

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:10 pm

elec999 wrote:Can you post pics and tell me how are the 24in lcds side by side. I have one right now, and am thinking of a second one.
Thanks
I would post pictures, but the 2 monitors are not on the same desk. I have a small IKEA computer desk, so I have 1 monitor and a laptop next to it, even that the laptop is hanging of the side.

The other monitor is however connected to the same PC, but its on a TV stand, so I watch movies on it while laying on bed.

THe bezels are like 1 inch thick, so I think it wouldn't look that good side by side anyways.

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:03 pm

I've had my computer for about 3 month now, and just recently I had observed huge viberating noise coming from some of the aluminum parts of the case like the the HDD cage and rear PCI metal pieces.

Overall the computer is quiet, but its starting to generating rattling noises and I occasionally have to tap the side panel to stop the noise.

What would you guys recommend me to do to solve this issue?