Computer System Need Help =]

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JackSmithxD

Computer System Need Help =]

Post by JackSmithxD » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Okay i'll get straight to the point... Im a noob.. with around 550-600 pound to spend on a ''gameing computer'' :shock: I basically need a list of parts that are compatible =] urmm i prefer to buy from Ebuyer and have totally no clue what to get... and would really appriciate it if you guys could help me out :D :D

Thanks Shit Loads Jack xD

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:35 pm

welcome to SPCR!!

Since you want decent thing:
CPU: E8200 or E8400 Wolfendale.
Mainboard: Abit IP35E / Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Memory 4 GB memory ( Muskin, Crucial, Kingston or Corsair are good among others )
PSU: Corsair HX 520
VGA Card 8800 GT(S) / HD 3870. I'd lean towards 8800-series for pure gamerig.
HDD: Samsung 500 GB hd501lj
Case: Antec Solo
CPU cooler: Thermalright ultra 120 /Xtreme

JackSmithxD

Dammm....

Post by JackSmithxD » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:56 pm

I managed to get the weblinks for the stuff you said and it came to 734 pound which is over my budget so i think ive gone a bit over board with the memory? and what type of 8800 ?

K9-Cop

Post by K9-Cop » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Re: Memory

Decide on what motherboard you want first. The motherboard info will tell you what type of memory it supports (DDR2 667/800/etc).

You can also go to Corsair's website, fill in the info in the upper right for Motherboard/Brand/Model. It will recommend memory. If you aren't overclocking, just stick with value ram.

In terms of amount, right this minute, 1GB is fine for most uses, but you'll want 2GB to be safe. If you do a fair amount of video encoding, or want to be even more future proof, go for 4GB. However, remember, you can always buy more memory later if you think you need it.

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:36 pm

CPU: I'd go with an e4400/e4500 to save money. Those can easily OC to 3Ghz quietly (with decent cooling) and you can still upgrade later.

HSF: Checkout the ninja. Not sure how it is in the UK, but in the US, ninjas can be had for almost half the price of a TRUE, and the newer packages come with slipstream fans.

Video Card: Factor in the cost of an aftermarket cooling solution if you really want your computer to be anywhere near quiet. The accelero S1 is one of the bests. Wait for the 9600gt or consider ATI 3850 if you are tight on budget.

Case: The Antec, NSK (solution) series are also decent alternatives.

PSU: consider the earthwatts or corsair VX450.

You should be able to find something that fits your budget.