My not-so quiet system, still not loud.. hehe

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SQBubble

My not-so quiet system, still not loud.. hehe

Post by SQBubble » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:04 pm

well, here's my current system, I plugged of the vga fan, the motherboard chipset fan and the exaust case fan!!! loll , they where all annoying and pissed me off , now its much better, only fan working now are the psu and cpu, and the 4hard drive arent too silent!! hehe

i'm still working and researching to get an excellent gaming/powerful rig and still stays really quiet for my new real HTPC coming soon, ill post a build thread when ill get the goodies!

koen_l

Post by koen_l » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:51 am

ouch, you just stacked those HDD's on top of eachother? that can't be good, with vibrations and all...no wonder they're loud :shock:

do you monitor the temperatures? I wonder how the videocard is doing without fan or airflow.

anyway, proper hdd mounting or suspension and a couple of new fans can do wonders with any setup. good luck!

kernel32

Re: My not-so quiet system, still not loud.. hehe

Post by kernel32 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:10 am

SQBubble wrote:I plugged of the vga fan, the motherboard chipset fan and the exaust case fan!!! loll , they where all annoying and pissed me off , now its much better, only fan working now are the psu and cpu
oh hell man, that looks NOISY AS HELL! also aren't you afraid the chipset and VGA card will start overheating with the fans plugged out? you should separate the harddrives with at least a slot between each, and also clean the poor thing a little, it won't hurt at all! you can change all those fans with quiet ones also without compromising cooling as you are now.. just a suggestion :)

Strid

Post by Strid » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Ouch, my eyes hurt!! You might want to do something about it .. or I'm gonna have to take out my contact lenses for the day, lol! :wink:

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:21 am

:(

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:06 am

Perfect example of beginners computer before. Soon his computer starts look like ours ^^ He shall discover soon true meaning of silent computing ^^

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:15 am

The OP could certainly benefit from reading around the forums (General gallery, Cases and Damping, and CPU Cooling in particular) and then post back to show the improvements.

But to start off (healthy criticism, mind you), here's a laundry list of improvements.

1) Clean out computer.

2) Cut out ALL built-in fan grills (PSU, exhaust, and intake)

3) Replace stock CPU cooler (AMD sticker makes me cringe) with quieter HSF combo (Zalman CNPS7000B for starters).

4) Follow above suggestions regarding HDD spacing, or better yet get rid of them and get one large new HDD that is much quieter and suspend it.

5) Redo rat's nest wiring. Clean, unobtrusive bundles is desired, hiding cables where possible. Getting rid of older HDDs would help here.

6) Replace case fans with more efficient, quieter models. Or, if budget allows, forget #2 and buy new case. SLK3000B is cheap, and there are some real cheap Rosewill cases on Newegg that can be modded with dampening to make up for thin metal.

Strid

Post by Strid » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:09 pm

That fan-grill in the back of the chassis .. it's more closed than open. I've never seen holes that tiny in any fan grill!! CUT IT! :)

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:51 pm

so its not that loud...once you put on those Sennheisers?

that CPU fan looks like a screamer, not to metion the tri-cool on the back.

SQBubble

Post by SQBubble » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:06 pm

hahaha, i'm not doing anything to this comp... it's just not worth it. btw the rear fan is not plugged.. I will be getting a completely new system , the only noise itll make is the
1. PSU corsair hx520
2. 3fan; 2 120mm fan(1 exhaust and 1 for cpu) , 1 92mm fan for the graphic card
3.Ill have 1 500gb and 1 750gb each in the Nexus drive-a-way hdd enclosure, I hope not to get any noise from them once in these case.
4. All this in a THermaltake M9, not using their fans.

As of this computer, i'll sell it... hell ive been watching some prison break with some deep bass (20hz-30hz) loud and now my PSU fan is starting to make some helluva annoying noise....

thx for the replys though

Strid

Post by Strid » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:09 am

SQBubble wrote:hahaha, i'm not doing anything to this comp... it's just not worth it. btw the rear fan is not plugged..
Haha, yeah, I noticed that mod and also the other mod you did. Graphics card-chassis decoupling. You're the first guy I see running with soft mounted VGA. :lol: :oops:

Sorry, you're cool, I just can't help it .. :wink:

williamn6133

Post by williamn6133 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 am

Why would anyone post pictures of that hunk of junk here?!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:58 am

williamn6133 wrote:Why would anyone post pictures of that hunk of junk here?!
For the same reason people on auto boards post pics of their '89 Lime Green Civic with a wing on it: most people are proud of what the have (or have accomplished) until they learn better.

Gotta be patient with the newbies, you were one too...

Shemale

Post by Shemale » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:22 pm

Oooo, Creative X-fi Elite Pro & Sennheiser Hi-fi headphones. :shock:
bonestonne wrote:so its not that loud...once you put on those Sennheisers?
That model don't have noise attenuation properties. So all the noise is entering in the ears.

At least if you sell it, relocate the HDD-s, space between them is recommended. In that position a HDD failure is imminent.