ga-p35-ds3p trouble recovering from sleep?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Conroy

ga-p35-ds3p trouble recovering from sleep?

Post by Conroy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:29 am

Sometimes when I try to wake up my computer after putting into sleep mode, it goes into a strange state where it will continually try to boot, but fail after a few seconds without posting. The only way to recover is to disconnect power for 10 seconds and turn it back on.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior before?

mcv

Post by mcv » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:48 am

I've never experienced multiple booting like that, but my WinXP laptop sometimes needs a lot of time recovering from hibernate. And it gets slower each time it does. I've developed the opinion that WinXP sucks when it comes to hibernate/sleep related stuff, but that may or may not be related to your problem.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:43 am

Conroy, have you tried other BIOS versions, or other settings? Is it set to S3? If yes, did you change the setting after you installed Windows? XP or Vista?

Edit: Oops, it's in your sig, Vista!

mcv, not true.

My two XP PCs are put to S3 sleep evey night and I only do a restart 2-3 times a month. They do, however have lots of memory, 4GB each. One of them dualboots to Vista, that I don't use much, but is even better sleepwise.

I only shutdown my laptop.

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:59 am

thanks for the responses

I'm not sure if I should try an earlier bios, because this bios is the first one produced that officially supports my CPU.

Now that I think about it, I've never had consistently good experiences with sleeping any of my computers, including laptops. I sent a note off to Gigabyte, and I think I'll just ignore sleep mode unless they have some brilliant insight.

I assume that sleep mode also depends on the device drivers for all the other devices (video, hd, audio) all being able to handle it properly, so the problem could be hard to find.

Jamie927

Post by Jamie927 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:25 am

I have the exact issue with my DS3P also. I don't ever put it to sleep anymore. I use hibernate instead. I have it overclocked to 3.2 GHz and I am using Gskill Ram at 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 timings. What kind of Ram do you have in it.

evident

Same problem with my GA-EP35-DS3R- can not resume from S3

Post by evident » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:41 am

Hi, first time poster here, did you find a resolution?

I have the exact same problem with my GA-EP35-DS3R, F2 BIOS. my specs are the following:

win xp
e8400
gskill 2x2gb pc1000
seasonic s12 600W
8800gt
raptor 160gb

i sent gigabyte an email through their website stating the following :
Hi,

I would like to point out an issue that many people are having with this motherboard. I just purchased it 5 days ago and would like to have it addressed, as it is a severe issue and I think the motherboard is good otherwise.

After setting up my PC and installing Windows XP SP2 and all the drivers, including gigabyte motherboard drivers on CD, i tried putting my PC into suspend (S3) state. upon resuming, everything seems to be okay, but in a few minutes, my computer powers off completely. If i turn my computer on again, once i get into windows, after a few minutes it will power off again. This loop will continue until i turn off the power supply completely for a few minutes then power on again. I am NOT overclocking any component on my board. I have all the power saving features enabled, such as C1E and EIST. My RAM is also NOT overclocked. everything is stock. I believe this is an issue related to the motherboard or BIOS. Another time this happens is when I try to run Dynamic Energy Saver software (DES). within the first few minutes of activating the software, the computer powers off completely similar to if i am resuming from S3, and the only way i can make the computer functional again is if i power off the power supply for a few minutes.

I am hoping this is an issue that your engineers can troubleshoot and address with a BIOS update, as gigabyte is heavily marketing the DES energy saving feature and 45nm CPU support. I would like to be able to use all of the advertised features of the motherboard, such as S3 suspend, and DES and power saving features of my CPU.

In summary-
When suspending my PC in S3 , upon resuming, computer powers off completely within a few minutes. Powering it on again will just make it shut off within a few minutes in windows.
When installed DES software, upon activating it, computer powers off completely within a few minutes. Powering it on again will just make it shut off within a few minutes in windows.

The only way to get out of this loop is to turn off power supply for a few minutes then turn it back on.

I hope that your engineers can troubleshoot and address this issue, as it is very important to me and many other Gigabyte motherboard users out there, who want to take advantage of suspending their PC and using the DES software.

Thanks,
Dave
I am pretty sure it's an issue with higher clocked processors (such as our E8400's) causing the stability issue w/ these gigabyte boards.

S3 sleep is a really important feature for me, and the DES was too, but i'm not too sure if it's worth RMAing the board over. any response from gigabyte saying they are aware of the situation and are addressing it would be great, but i only have another 15 days or so at newegg that i can RMA the board with. hopefully they will respond by then!

Jamie927

Post by Jamie927 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:37 am

I am not using the newer board that you have mine is the GA-P35-DS3P(rev 1.1). Also, I have the E6750 processor. I haven't resolved the issue. Lately it seems to be related to my Nvidia 7600GT graphics card, since it has been doing it on cold boots now too.

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:48 am

Oops, I must have turned off the subscription for this thread by mistake, since I never got notified that it was being responded to.

I did find sort of a resolution for this issue, but it was no good for me:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... id=2087030

In short, the problem seems to be related to BIOS revisions. Someone using the DS3P rev 1.1 did testing using various BIOS versions and found that versions F7 and earlier were fine, while F8 and later had sleep problems.

I need F9 for E8400 support, so it doesn't really help me directly yet, but it's good to know.

I think cold boots must be a different issue...

evident

Post by evident » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:24 am

interesting. I hope Gigabyte responds to my email soon.

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:37 am

I have a P35-DS3 and have the same problem when resuming from S3 in Windows XP. However, the problem goes away completely under Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Resuming in Vista has worked every single time since I bought the board a few months ago.

I'm using the latest BIOS (F12), an E6600 @ 3.2GHz ( 400*8 ) and 8GB DDR2-800 5-5-5-15.

I'm actually surprised that it works so well [in Vista] even after such an overclock. :)

evident

Post by evident » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:05 pm

thanks for the insight. I have no plans on installing vista on my pc, but i will give Ubuntu a try with S3 just to see if it's an OS-specific issue.

ReelMonza

Post by ReelMonza » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:39 pm

I cannot resume from S3 using XP while the FSB is OCed to 335MHz.
S3 resume is good up to 335MHz anything higher the system wont resume.
I thought it was something related to the E4400 CPU but people with E6600 are having the same problems.
Motherboard is P35-DS3, havent tested other OS

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 pm

I have a GA-P35-DS3R Rev 2.0 with BIOS F11 and Standby (S3) with XP Pro SP2 is working fine for me as it has on all my Gigabyte boards. The FSB has been raised from a stock 200 to 250.
Any board that fails to manage standby is useless for me and I’d RMA it.

I did have a problem with an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI card that broke standby support as the drivers don’t support it! Needless to say that has gone the way of the (e)bay. I find it hard to fathom a company that can’t be bothered to support standby on an entry level card that supports DTS/DD pass-through. i.e. it’s aimed not just at musicians.

evident

Post by evident » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:28 am

smiling crow, what cpu are you running on? i am pretty convinced this problem is related somehow to the FSB. e8400 stock fsb is 333. there might be some threshold where the S3 standby becomes unstable.... i am pretty close to RMAing this board, but holding out to see what gigabyte can do, i sent them an email detailing my issues.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:32 am

evident wrote:smiling crow, what cpu are you running on? i am pretty convinced this problem is related somehow to the FSB.
I'm using an E4500. I'll try lowering the multiplier and raising the FSB to see if that makes a difference.

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

Post by Hifriday » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:47 am

I just put together a GA-EP35-DS4 (believe it is quite similar). So far no problems resuming from suspend with an 8400 at 333 or 400 FSB.

F2 Bios, 8800GT, 2x2GB 6400, Seasonic, Win XP

evident

Post by evident » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:03 pm

sent them an email a few days ago saying the following
Hi,

I would like to point out an issue that many people are having with this motherboard. I just purchased it 5 days ago and would like to have it addressed, as it is a severe issue and I think the motherboard is good otherwise.

After setting up my PC and installing Windows XP SP2 and all the drivers, including gigabyte motherboard drivers on CD, i tried putting my PC into suspend (S3) state. upon resuming, everything seems to be okay, but in a few minutes, my computer powers off completely. If i turn my computer on again, once i get into windows, after a few minutes it will power off again. This loop will continue until i turn off the power supply completely for a few minutes then power on again. I am NOT overclocking any component on my board. I have all the power saving features enabled, such as C1E and EIST. My RAM is also NOT overclocked. everything is stock. I believe this is an issue related to the motherboard or BIOS. Another time this happens is when I try to run Dynamic Energy Saver software (DES). within the first few minutes of activating the software, the computer powers off completely similar to if i am resuming from S3, and the only way i can make the computer functional again is if i power off the power supply for a few minutes.

I am hoping this is an issue that your engineers can troubleshoot and address with a BIOS update, as gigabyte is heavily marketing the DES energy saving feature and 45nm CPU support. I would like to be able to use all of the advertised features of the motherboard, such as S3 suspend, and DES and power saving features of my CPU.

In summary-
When suspending my PC in S3 , upon resuming, computer powers off completely within a few minutes. Powering it on again will just make it shut off within a few minutes in windows.
When installed DES software, upon activating it, computer powers off completely within a few minutes. Powering it on again will just make it shut off within a few minutes in windows.

The only way to get out of this loop is to turn off power supply for a few minutes then turn it back on.

I hope that your engineers can troubleshoot and address this issue, as it is very important to me and many other Gigabyte motherboard users out there, who want to take advantage of suspending their PC and using the DES software.

Thanks,
Dave

received email from them today
Did you checked to make sure there are no overheating issue and cpu temperature does not exceed 60c at any time?
Also the S3 resume patch was installed from the driver disc?
just replied to them again asking if they could test for themselves an e8400 and this board.
Thanks for your reply!
unfortunately, the s3 resume patch does not solve my problem. my computer still powers off within minutes after i resume from s3 suspend and using the DES software.

my CPU is definitely not overheating, i do not have a fan connected to the motherboard (my fan is connected directly to power supply). i disabled all of the bios fan controls and monitors, and set cpu threshold to 70 degrees. my cpu never goes over 38. also, the rest of my hardware was able to suspend and resume fine on my previous motherboard (intel 975x based P5WDH from Asus) so my logical conclusion is that there is a bug in the EP35-DS3R's bios. is it possible for gigabyte to perform these tests with that motherboard and 45nm E8400 CPU?

evident

Post by evident » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:05 pm

Hifriday wrote:I just put together a GA-EP35-DS4 (believe it is quite similar). So far no problems resuming from suspend with an 8400 at 333 or 400 FSB.

F2 Bios, 8800GT, 2x2GB 6400, Seasonic, Win XP
your config is very similar to mine too. can you try suspending for a long period of time ( such as overnight or a few days) and see what happens?

what type of RAM do you have? and do you have any special bios settings?

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:42 pm

evident wrote:smiling crow, what cpu are you running on? i am pretty convinced this problem is related somehow to the FSB. e8400 stock fsb is 333. there might be some threshold where the S3 standby becomes unstable....
I just tried running it at 6x333 and it seemed to go into standby okay but it refused to return. I had to switch it off at the power supply and on restarting the BIOS had reset itself to 200 FSB. Not good as I was hoping to upgrade to an E7200 (266 FSB, 3MB cache) when they are released and run it at somewhere between 333 and 400 FSB. I shall contact Gigabyte as the more people that do the more chance they will fix this problem.

evident

Post by evident » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:31 pm

they just replied to me:
How about if the DES software is not launched and has been disable, it will still shut off?
Any settings which you have tweak in the bios please restore it back to factory default.
i replied back
Thank you again for your quick response.

Yes. this happens if the DES software is not even installed, and all the bios settings are default, AND right after a fresh install of windows xp sp2, with the appropriate drivers installed, of course. In addition to default bios settings, i've also tried disabling C1E and EIST in the bios because i thought that they may be causing issues, but i still have the same problems.

i have been posting on various forums and it seems that many people are having similar issues. I am the user "evident"

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... TARTPAGE=1

viewtopic.php?t=46009

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

Post by Hifriday » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:31 pm

I have suspended it overnight (but not a few days since I use it daily) and it resumes without issue. I have the DES software installed and driver is loaded, but DES is not turned on (makes very little difference in power consumption anyways). I also have the extra molex plugged in to the mb.

I am using OCZ Titanium PC6400 CL4 RAM. RAM settings are in BIOS on auto, it defualts to CL5 by SPD and 5:6 multiplier (ie 800/960). FSB is also set to auto, I'm changing it in XP with EasyTune5Pro supplied on the driver CD. Believe most other BIOS left at default settings.

One odd behavior I did notice, is that after changing/saving the BIOS settings, the system reboots but will power down immediately before powering up again (maybe 1-2 cycles). Maybe this has something to do with writing to the dual bios? At first I thought there was compatibility problems with my Seasonic, but since this only happens when BIOS is changed I am thinking this is normal behavior.

Also when I first installed a SI128SE CPU cooler, suddenly EasyTune's OC functions were disabled and told me the board didn't allow OC!! I thought maybe the backplate was contacting some of the cap feet on the backside or maybe the frame was touching components on the topside, but didn't see this. In anycase reinstalling the heatsink solved this problem. If you have a backplate/frame cooler you might want to insure all components are clear?

evident

Post by evident » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Hifriday wrote:I have suspended it overnight (but not a few days since I use it daily) and it resumes without issue. I have the DES software installed and driver is loaded, but DES is not turned on (makes very little difference in power consumption anyways). I also have the extra molex plugged in to the mb.

I am using OCZ Titanium PC6400 CL4 RAM. RAM settings are in BIOS on auto, it defualts to CL5 by SPD and 5:6 multiplier (ie 800/960). FSB is also set to auto, I'm changing it in XP with EasyTune5Pro supplied on the driver CD. Believe most other BIOS left at default settings.

One odd behavior I did notice, is that after changing/saving the BIOS settings, the system reboots but will power down immediately before powering up again (maybe 1-2 cycles). Maybe this has something to do with writing to the dual bios? At first I thought there was compatibility problems with my Seasonic, but since this only happens when BIOS is changed I am thinking this is normal behavior.

Also when I first installed a SI128SE CPU cooler, suddenly EasyTune's OC functions were disabled and told me the board didn't allow OC!! I thought maybe the backplate was contacting some of the cap feet on the backside or maybe the frame was touching components on the topside, but didn't see this. In anycase reinstalling the heatsink solved this problem. If you have a backplate/frame cooler you might want to insure all components are clear?
That bios thing is normal behavior i think... esp if it isnt' causing you any issues

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:17 pm

My computer is currently refusing to wake from sleep. I tested the ram with memtester86+ and it detected errors, but only when the two sticks of ram are in together. When i test one stick at a time, they test without error but still will note wake from sleep. It worked at one point but then stopped working. You should get your memory tested too.

evident

Post by evident » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Try the F3 beta bios to see if it'll make any difference

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Sup...Type=BIOS&FileID=13367

Other than that only 3 other possibility which can cause it, check the video driver, card and power supply
sigh

i gave the f3 bios a shot already and it didnt work. and my vid card, driver and psu all worked fine before i got the gigabyte board. suspended/resumed w/p5wdh intel 975x with no problems. i tried using an 8500GT i have on my sis's PC and am sure that my PSU isnt causing the issue, but ill swap PSU's anyway. i hope they arent just trying to shift blame on some other component and give me the run-around. i am convinced it's an issue with the motherboard!

yuu

Post by yuu » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:36 pm

keep looking, S3 fixed bioses, emerging.

evident

Post by evident » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:49 pm

they wanted me to do a reinstall and just install the nvidia drivers and see what happens. ugh, i have ot go to japan on sat. anyone want to try this and follow up with what happens? maybe try some differnet nvidia drivers? i am almost certain this isn't the issue. this driver worked fine with my g*damn 975x board. maybe it doesn't play nice w/ p35 chipset, but that is highly unlikely..... gigabyte tech support is giving me the runaround and im starting to lose my patience :roll:

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:01 am

evident wrote:they wanted me to do a reinstall and just install the nvidia drivers and see what happens. ugh, i have ot go to japan on sat. anyone want to try this and follow up with what happens? maybe try some differnet nvidia drivers? i am almost certain this isn't the issue. this driver worked fine with my g*damn 975x board. maybe it doesn't play nice w/ p35 chipset, but that is highly unlikely..... gigabyte tech support is giving me the runaround and im starting to lose my patience :roll:
From my experience it does sound as if the FSB speed may be the culprit. I’d try setting the FSB to 200 and see if standby works then.
If people with CPUs with 1333 FSB that don’t support standby at stock speeds would try to see if they do work at lower FSB speeds it would help to diagnose this problem.

My E4500 works fine at 800 and 1,000 but fails at 1,333; I’ve yet to try 1,066.

evident

Post by evident » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:28 pm

so, how's everyone's experience w/ the ABIT IP35 Pro? I heard there are still some issues w/ the E8400 still... im pretty close to just exchanging the board... i don't know whether sleep is that big enough of an issue for me yet, but it's pretty important!!!!

im gonna try some things i shoulda tried earlier... not use IDE, only have one HD and as minimal config possible.... stay tuned... i may not do this till next week as im going to japan tomorrow

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:57 am

Just thought I'd mention that S3 resume stopped working when I changed from an 8800GT to a HD3870 X2...

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:30 pm

Mikael wrote:Just thought I'd mention that S3 resume stopped working when I changed from an 8800GT to a HD3870 X2...
Isn’t that likely to be purely to do with the drivers for the VGA card not working properly? It’s a fairly new card so maybe it will be fixed soon.