mATX motherboard and case for new build- help needed

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

piglickjf

mATX motherboard and case for new build- help needed

Post by piglickjf » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Hey all, I'm putting together a list for a new build (actually an upgrade, but since I'm having to replace about 90% of what I've got, it's basically a new build) and would like some input.

So far, I'm looking at:
Intel e8400
nVidia GeForce 9600GT
2GB Corsair Ballistix PCR-6400 RAM

I may look at a new HDD, but the one I have now (don't remember what type) works fine and is only about halfway full and doesn't seem terribly noisy, so I may save some money for now and skip that.

My main concern now is the MB and case. My original plan was an Antec SOLO and the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with a Corsair 520HX PS (probably overkill with this rig so I may consider some smaller ones, plus with further discussion below may not need discrete PS).

However, my wife has become enticed by some of the newer small, slim desktops people are coming out with (the Dell Vostro is the one she found) and is really pushing for a smaller case. I know I probably can't get that small with the type of setup I want - primarily for gaming, some light HD video editing, and general use internet, email, etc - but I have started looking at the options that are out there for a smaller case and MB to go in it.

The Antec NSK2400 got good reviews here and looks pretty nice and relatively small, but I'd prefer a vertical rather than horizontal case if possible (or one that can do both). Are there any others out there worth looking at?

As for motherboards, I'm at a loss at this point. I've heard nothing but good things about Intel's P35 chipset and would like to go with that, but so far haven't found any mATX mobos with it. I don't need much, one PCIex16 for the vid card, a couple of PCIs for sound card whatever else (potentially wireless networking in the future, if not already present on the board) and ethernet for my DSL modem. I'm open to any suggestions if anyone has them.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can offer.

PigLick

Jokoto

Post by Jokoto » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:17 am

Well, as for the case, the Antec NSK3480 is lovely and tiny. Swap the fans and it is seriously quiet as well.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:20 am

+1 for the 3480.

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:35 pm

I'm another happy NSK3480 owner. Recommended "adjustments": Ditch the Tricool for something quieter, flip the PSU for more cable length, remove the cpu duct and swap the side panels for additional sound insulation, add 92mm fans to front if system needs more airflow for hotter-running video cards and/or cpu's and use the bottom mount for the HDD for better PSU airflow.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: mATX motherboard and case for new build- help needed

Post by merlin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:39 pm

The P35 is a great chipset...one of the best I've seen. However, for Microatx, what you're looking for is a G33. This is basically a P35 with integrated graphics built in. It won't overclock as well, but it suffices in all other ways.

I'd recommend picking up one of the higher end G33's if possible. (or if you're patient, you can wait for the 65nm G43/45/47...which should be out in a month or so I'm guessing). Probably one of the gigabyte or asus G33's would be nice for a microatx board.

piglickjf

Re: mATX motherboard and case for new build- help needed

Post by piglickjf » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:23 pm

merlin wrote:The P35 is a great chipset...one of the best I've seen. However, for Microatx, what you're looking for is a G33. This is basically a P35 with integrated graphics built in. It won't overclock as well, but it suffices in all other ways.

I'd recommend picking up one of the higher end G33's if possible. (or if you're patient, you can wait for the 65nm G43/45/47...which should be out in a month or so I'm guessing). Probably one of the gigabyte or asus G33's would be nice for a microatx board.
Yah, thanks for the tip, I just found the G33 late last night, so now finding motherboards is a bit easier.

I may think about waiting for the new mobos...it's not like you can actually buy an e8400 anywhere right now anyway and I'm not in a huge rush to build my system, so another month or so probably is at least worth the wait to see the new crop of chipsets. (If nothing else, their release may help drive down prices of current ones a bit).

Also thanks to everyone else for the heads-up on the NSK3480. It does look pretty nice and although it's probably not as small as my wife would like, is likely about as small as I'm willing to go in order to get the components I want.

Would the PSU be sufficient for this build? I'm thinking it probably would be, but I'm not too savvy on PSUs, power requirements, etc and of course the PSU makers and extreme performance people would have you think you need a nuclear reactor in your backyard in order to run a decent rig.

If it's not sufficient, is there room in the case to replace it with something a bit beefier and still have room for an optical drive up top?

EDIT: Also, I have a Zalman 7000B AlCu CPU cooler that I plan on reusing, that shouldn't have any problem fitting in this case, right (I know the mobo layout is also a big issue here, but just want to check on the case itself as well)?

PigLick

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:14 am

The Zalman 7000B will fit the case no problem...coolers with 120mm+ vertical spread can extend over the top edge of certain MB's and hit the PSU compartment. Since you initially wanted a P35 chipset to do some gaming, you'll be using discrete graphics rather than the integrated chipset that is a "feature" on most mATX boards. If so then the G33 chipset will be the best value (for Intel chipsets) since you won't be using the onboard graphics. Asus has the only G35 board out as most manufacturers are skipping that chipset for the G45 generation. Assuming G45 power efficiency, features and cpu compatibility are similar to G33, then waiting for lower prices makes sense. The Penryn chips are likely to be the end of the line for socket 775, so G45 won't bring any additional cpu upgrade capability.

The Earthwatts 380 is plenty for my gaming system (see sig) and it's quiet enough for me...I measured something like 225 watts peak under Crysis. In two weeks I am expecting delivery of a Q9450, so we'll see what a 45nm quad pulls. If memory serves me, the 380 is 140mm deep and that's as big as you want to go in the NSK3480 without crowding the optical drive...speaking of which...go no longer than a Samsung SH-S203.

Tankguys.com is expecting a batch of E8400's (ETA: 3/27/2008) for $229, but preorder may be necesary.

antifro

Post by antifro » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:46 am

Dont forget that the slim horizontal cases being used by major OEMs like Dell and HP dont use all standard ATX parts. A big example of that is the power supplies. Though there are replacements, they're not the quiet Corsairs and Seasonics we love on this site. So your wife might have to settle for something a little bit fatter :)

As far as components and noise:

Just look at the recommended section. There's passively cooled 8600GT cards. You can replace the fans (one intake, one exhaust) in the NSK to 800rpm S-FLEX fans... and see if you can leave the CPU cooler passive?

Oh and Btw - As far as leaving your current hard drive. Your system will only function as fast as its slowest part. Seeing as all your programs are on a hard drive, perhaps you might want to invest into one of those new WD 320gb single platter hard drives. I heard they're wicked fast for 7200rpm drives.

Rewdoalb

Post by Rewdoalb » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:04 pm

What's the main difference between G33 and G31? There are some G31 boards that appear to have good quality, for under $70. That's pretty good price, but are they much slower/weaker than G33?

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm

G31 with ICH7 G33 with ICH9...basically less features from the chipset...the Asus G31 has only 2 DIMM slots so no memory expansion..also limited to 4 Gb total...could be a constraint to 64 bit Vista...also limited OCing.

Rewdoalb

Post by Rewdoalb » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:35 am

fwki wrote:G31 with ICH7 G33 with ICH9...basically less features from the chipset...the Asus G31 has only 2 DIMM slots so no memory expansion..also limited to 4 Gb total...could be a constraint to 64 bit Vista...also limited OCing.
Sounds good. Basically, if you're doing a budget build with 2GB RAM that will never need more that 4GB, and you're not planning to OC, it appears to be a great choice. (for $66 lol)