Antec Three Hundred

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Antec Three Hundred

Post by thejamppa » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:33 pm

Finally there is first "review" of the case. Its not real professional review and lacks temperature and similar tests. But I really like the case. And it has nice supply of thumb screws.

http://www.ozhardware.com.au/Case-Revie ... eview.html

I am so waiting this to get Finland so I can Finally retire my SLK 3000B ( Served me for over 5 years now ) and put my hot CrossFire in one of these babies. I know its not silent case nor even aimed for silent enthusiasts.

Case really looks good to me. Simple forms, lot's of inner space. It looks bit like Solo in internal spaces. Especially the front fan instalments remind bit of Solo's. Maybe I am unique but Three Hundred really looks good and seems to have great cooling potential. And all fans are standard size and easily changeable ( unlike in Nine Hundred )

There should more than enough space for 8800-series cards, making it suitable for any modern graphics card. Cool since my HD 3850's are pretty long ones.

Case really looks good... and every time I see it for some weird reason I want to yell "Sparta!"... :P

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Really cool case. :D

Maybe the left 3.5" drive bay wall should be moved to the left (modded against side panel) in the "3.5 Inch Drive Bays" (3rd picture) here: http://www.ozhardware.com.au/Case-Revie ... iew/2.html
so there will be enough space for enclosed and/or suspended 3.5" drives.

Then it's time for extremely silent components, like an Enermax Modu82+ PSU.

Probably best to replace Antec fans again.

Might be possible to put a 12 cm fan ziptied to the top instead of the 13 cm 11 blade fan or we can hope the 13 cm fan won't be to noisy when slowed down with a fan regulator?
Last edited by Alex on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:49 pm

It's strange to see an Antec case without the silicone grommets mounting system for the hard drives, even if this case isn't aimed at silencers. But it sure has some killer airflow. :twisted:

Is it just me or does the top 130mm fan looks like is mounted in the suck (intake) position, even though the review says 'exhaust fan'?

Silviu

Post by Silviu » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:39 pm

Shaman wrote:It's strange to see an Antec case without the silicone grommets mounting system for the hard drives, even if this case isn't aimed at silencers. But it sure has some killer airflow. :twisted:

Is it just me or does the top 130mm fan looks like is mounted in the suck (intake) position, even though the review says 'exhaust fan'?
Looks like u are right, i also noticed that the top fan is mounted for intake, strange :). Overall looks ok but some people will miss the HDD silicone grommets or the mounting system from P182 for example :)

aimfox

Post by aimfox » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:38 pm

i aint too sure about crossfire, that 300 case looks too small to fit it. u should go check it out if it compatible..

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:32 am

Three Hundred is marketed as 8800 GTX compatible... As review said: "In side the case is more than enough space to let your inner geek run wild"

substitute

Re: Antec Three Hundred

Post by substitute » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:59 am

thejamppa wrote:Finally there is first "review" of the case. Its not real professional review and lacks temperature and similar tests. But I really like the case. And it has nice supply of thumb screws.

http://www.ozhardware.com.au/Case-Revie ... eview.html

I am so waiting this to get Finland so I can Finally retire my SLK 3000B ( Served me for over 5 years now ) and put my hot CrossFire in one of these babies. I know its not silent case nor even aimed for silent enthusiasts.

Case really looks good to me. Simple forms, lot's of inner space. It looks bit like Solo in internal spaces. Especially the front fan instalments remind bit of Solo's. Maybe I am unique but Three Hundred really looks good and seems to have great cooling potential. And all fans are standard size and easily changeable ( unlike in Nine Hundred )

There should more than enough space for 8800-series cards, making it suitable for any modern graphics card. Cool since my HD 3850's are pretty long ones.

Case really looks good... and every time I see it for some weird reason I want to yell "Sparta!"... :P
Have you considered this Cooler Master RC-590?

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/pr ... 46&id=3929

I was also waiting for Antec three hundred case but while waiting I discovered the RC-590. It's in the same price range as the Antec but seems to have some of the features that Antec is missing. Definitely not a very quiet case but I'm hoping that with some effort it can be made tolerable.

Here's a review from a forum:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=233629

And another one:
http://www.cpu3d.com/index.php?option=c ... 52&limit=1

P.S. If anyone knows of a good case with these specs, please let me know. I'm still open for ideas :)
- height < 50cm
- I/O panel facing forward
- bottom mount psu (and no psu included with the case)
- dampening material installed
- 3.5" bay for a fan controller

yaler

Post by yaler » Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 pm

Looks like an amazing case for the money. I'm recommending it to a friend.

It's too bad those are 3.5" drive bays, if they were a little wider they'd be perfect for suspending drives in front of some intake fans.

Anyone have any ideas? I guess I could suspend them in the 5" bays. Could I mount them sideways safely?

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri May 09, 2008 12:50 am

yaler wrote:Looks like an amazing case for the money. I'm recommending it to a friend.

It's too bad those are 3.5" drive bays, if they were a little wider they'd be perfect for suspending drives in front of some intake fans.

Anyone have any ideas? I guess I could suspend them in the 5" bays. Could I mount them sideways safely?
Peoples are mounting their HDD's upwards, uprightm, downwards without significant problems. Some cases I have HDD's are even placed Side ways, like P18x down chamber. So suspending them sideways is not a problem.

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Fri May 09, 2008 3:29 pm

thejamppa wrote:Peoples are mounting their HDD's upwards, uprightm, downwards without significant problems. Some cases I have HDD's are even placed Side ways, like P18x down chamber. So suspending them sideways is not a problem.
Well.. its not a problem for HD mechanics. I find it to be a bit more difficult though. Especially if the drive cage is non-removable like in this case. There are some good ideas in the sticky thread about HD suspension though.

walle

Post by walle » Fri May 09, 2008 4:24 pm

Not my cup of tea, but I do take a Solo painted all black with power supply seated at the bottom any day!

Antec, cmon now, bring it :idea:

cableguys

Here is a picture of the case

Post by cableguys » Tue May 27, 2008 2:31 pm

I bought this case because it was small and was cheap.

Here are some photos.

TheAtomicKid

Post by TheAtomicKid » Tue May 27, 2008 9:57 pm

And here was my opinion, a few days ago. It's definitely a nice effort from Antec.

viewtopic.php?t=48290

Oh yeah, when I had it installed, it fit my evga 8800GTS/320 ACS3 with room to spare. No problems.

TAK

PS: Yeah, it would have been nice if they'd just made it 5-1/4" bays all the way up the front. Easy enough to convert down to 3.5", no so easy to convert a 3.5 up to a 5.25 :)

Perhaps it was to leave room at the side for the cable management area. Sounds reasonable, at least.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Wed May 28, 2008 2:52 am

It sounds reasonable, but I also suspect that since 300 supposed be budget version, 900 normal version and 1200 luxus, the 3,5" bays are solid and all because its cheaper to manufacture that way.

yukon

Post by yukon » Fri May 30, 2008 2:43 pm

I bought an Antec 300. Not a fan of it, though I have many other Antec cases. In my case, the front bezel is both bent and wider in the middle somehow. That means that the USB/Audio front ports keep the skewed bezel from fitting on, and the drivebay faceplates don't attach to anything (they fall out). It was shipped with the faceplate off, while the manual says how one should first remove the faceplate, so I imagine they couldn't fit it on either. This is probably just a quality control issue since I can't find mention of it elsewhere.

As a review of the case I can't use, it has a few modern features. A large washable front filter, a 140mm fan, PSU on the bottom, and nonrestrictive honeycomb fan grills. Overclockers will like the 140mm and three 120mm fan bays. Aside from these things, the case is a very basic inexpensive case like most others. Thin panels, many sharp points, standard CD/HD mounting, with direct paths for noise to escape the front/side/top/rear of the case. If the issue I had is unique, then I'd recommend this case as an inexpensive minimum case. I hate to say it, but for a similar case, the Coolermaster 690 or 590 may be better choices.

If anyone has the case, I'd suggest taping over the side and possibly the rear fan bays, undervolting the 140mm fan, mass loading the side panels, and using rubber grommets when mounting harddrives.