ASUS M2NPV-VM - hot GeForce 6150 northbridge

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AlpineCarver

Post by AlpineCarver » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:05 am

Erssa wrote:Still the money would have been better spent, if you had upgraded to a faster and more energy efficient platform in a couple of years instead of waiting your usual 4-5 years.
my, we're getting pushy...

setting up a new pc takes me a long time; doubling the frequency with which i have to do it is not appealing.

the biostar is actually $10 less than the asus. adding the hr-05 is $15. so the total difference in price is $5. it's not even worth mentioning.

anyway, i'm extremely pleased with the end result and would do it again in a heartbeat. if you prefer to make these tradeoffs differently, you're welcome to.

Bugsi

Post by Bugsi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:04 am

Erssa wrote:Still the money would have been better spent, if you had upgraded to a faster and more energy efficient platform in a couple of years instead of waiting your usual 4-5 years.
I have an interest in actually knowing if there is any aftermarket chipset cooler -active or passive- that will allow the chipset to run cooler, that actually mounts to the M2NPV-VM with little or no modifications. I still don't know if there are any. Your answer is a reasonably good point: "Maybe you don't need to worry about it, the NB temps don't appear to cause any problem." -Excellent point, I may rethink my whole plan of looking for a better-than-stock cooler for it, and just live with the stock cooler and its high temps. Yet, if there *IS* a better-than-stock cooler that fits it, I'm still really interested in knowing about it, before buying ten different products just to find out that none of them fit.

I don't see any value in repeating that it isn't necessary to cool the chipset any more than the stock heatsink does.

There may be no need to try and quiet most computers, either. They'll run just fine running loud. Money might be better spent buying ice cream, than buying quieter fans and power supplies. Yet some of us still desire quieter computers, without actually needing them to be quiet, and choose to spend money on quieter components. Can you just accept that you've made your point, we get it, and move on? Some of us still want to know if there's a chipset cooler that fits this board, despite the original poster having opted to replace his with a model that has better support for aftermarket cooling. -Which is also good information for me, as I might very well choose to do the same.

There's a point where repeating yourself doesn't have any value. I could go on, but then I'd be doing the same thing.

So let it go, maybe?

felix_w

NB Cooler testing to Solve High Temps..

Post by felix_w » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:42 pm

I am also having high temps on my ASUS M2NPV-VM. Everest reports 38-40 degrees Celsius, but obviously 40 degrees cannot burn your fingertip can they? The temperatures i measured with an extra sensor i bought were 20 degrees over the temps measured by software...The sensor tip was placed on the side of the stock northbridge heatsink and relatively low, almost near the bottom of it.....Measured 57 C when everest and BIOS after restart showed 38...Imagine the real temperature of the northbridge...SO, that was the reason i started looking for a suitable NB cooler....

Results:

a)Thermaltake HR-05-Sli i already had does not fit.....Too Bad, cause it sure is an excellent solution..

b)Antazone NS-2000...Bought it for €17.80...DOES NOT FIT...although company says that it fits every motherboard...i also mailed them and they responded me the same thing....Probably, the NS-1000 does not fit also, due to the same anchoring system....

c)Coolermaster Blue Ice (RT-UCL-L4U1)....although it seemed that it would be the "ONE"...does not fit...maybe if had longer bolts for the hooks....it seems that needs too much pressure to fit....

It seems that Thremaltake Extreme Spirit II will be the 4th Candidate....On the installation guide one can see its easy way of fitting...no hussle...
I will try this one and post my comments...And of course temperature differences....

If anyone has already fitted any other NB cooler on the ASUS M2NPV-VM, please write down your comment....

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:18 am

Get thermal adhassive. That should make installation work. The NB bridge is really pain in the butt. Of course with thermal adhassive solution would be permanent... And attach Zalman NBF-47 with Thermal adhassive. Cheap and should do the trick. Unless you can get some Enzotech Copper NB coolers.

Tommy Jefferson

Post by Tommy Jefferson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:00 am

AlpineCarver wrote:i've dumped the M2NPV-VM and replaced it with a biostar TF7050-M2.
Sorry to hear about your heat troubles with the M2NPV-VM.

Thank you for reporting. Your information is appreciated.

felix_w

Post by felix_w » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:09 am

thejamppa wrote:Get thermal adhassive. That should make installation work. The NB bridge is really pain in the butt. Of course with thermal adhassive solution would be permanent... And attach Zalman NBF-47 with Thermal adhassive. Cheap and should do the trick. Unless you can get some Enzotech Copper NB coolers.
I thought of thermal adhesive as a solution, but , as you also said...solution is permanent...and since i would like to have the option of upgrading/disassembling in the future...fitting should not be permanent...

Anyway..i ordered Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II for €16...but i will be away for the following two weeks, so you will have to wait for the results....

AlpineCarver

Re: NB Cooler testing to Solve High Temps..

Post by AlpineCarver » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:38 pm

felix_w wrote:If anyone has already fitted any other NB cooler on the ASUS M2NPV-VM, please write down your comment....
before i gave up on the M2NPV-VM, i scoured the web, looking for successful 3rd-party NB cooler installations. all i found was the following, which i didn't feel like trying to reproduce:

viewtopic.php?p=342109#342109

note that the board in question is not the M2NPV-VM, but i'm pretty sure it has identical spacing for it NB cooler mounts.
Last edited by AlpineCarver on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

djkest

Post by djkest » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:36 am

AlpineCarver wrote: while it appears to be operating reliably now, i expect that a temp pushing 100C will affect the overall lifespan of the chip itself, its packaging, the board and solder joints underneath it, etc.
Don't know if this helps you, but when manufacturing such a circuit board it will undergo at least 240C. If it is ROHS compliant, and I'm sure it is, it uses lead-free solder. The two alloys most commonly used are "SAC305" or "Snick"

SAC305 begins to melt at 217C and becomes fully liquid at 227C, while snick goes completely liquid immediately at 227C.

While the lifespan of the component may be reduced somewhat, the surrounding board and solder will not be effected. You may suffer some creep but that should not effect you since the forces on the solder are next to nil.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:10 pm

I put the Zalman flower NB cooler ($10) on my Biostar T-Force 6100, and temps dropped by 20C degrees at the very least.

djkest

Post by djkest » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:29 pm

So it seems like the best solution thusfar is mounting a heatsink with thermal adhesive. It IS permanent but it will work. Just about anything could be mounted this way, I'd put in my .02 for the Thermalright.

klegg

Measurements in bios

Post by klegg » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:13 am

Hi all,

I have the same motherboard, M2A-VM HDMI, and to me it seems the temperature measured in bios does not correspond to the CPU, but more likely to the Northbridge.

I have measured just under 40 C (stress --cpu 2) at the heat spreader on top of the cpu, while at the same time the cpu temp in bios (after a quick restart) is said to be around 55 C. At the same time I have noticed that the heat sink on NB is considerably hotter than heat spreader on cpu (unfortnuately have not been able to measure temp on NB).

Has anyone else experienced something similar (i.e., CPU temp reading in BIOS not actually corresponding to CPU)?

Regards!

99emails

Computer periodically shuts down suddenly

Post by 99emails » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:07 am

I have the same motherboard (M2NPV-VM) and my computer automatically shuts down periodically.

I used Speedfan and Everest to check the temps and it seems that the NB is running at aroung 58 to 60 degrees celsius under nominal load. If I put the system under stress the temp goes up to 70.

All things indicate an overheating component but I'm not sure its the NB. Sometimes the computer shuts down within a couple of minutes of being started and sometimes it'll stay on for hours. Other times it shuts down in 10-15 minutes.

Everything in the computer is stock and it is in a Silverstone LC-11 case.

Any advice on how I could go about solving this problem? I don't want to spend a lot of money on rigging larger heatsinks on the NB if that is not the real problem.

Thanks for your help.

klegg

Re: Computer periodically shuts down suddenly

Post by klegg » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:07 am

99emails wrote:
Any advice on how I could go about solving this problem? I don't want to spend a lot of money on rigging larger heatsinks on the NB if that is not the real problem.

Thanks for your help.
Just maybe the board is reporting wrong temperatures? No idea if it would help, but have you considered upgrading bios?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:38 am

klegg wrote:
99emails wrote:

Thanks for your help.
Just maybe the board is reporting wrong temperatures? No idea if it would help, but have you considered upgrading bios?
Can you hold it or does it burn your fingers after a while?

AlpineCarver

Post by AlpineCarver » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:57 am

99emails wrote:...
All things indicate an overheating component but I'm not sure its the NB.
Any advice on how I could go about solving this problem?
temporarily add a fan blowing directly on the NB. if the shutdowns stop, you've got an overheating NB (or other component in the path of the added fan).

king of snake

Post by king of snake » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:04 am

Hi- I was just about to throw down for this MB, glad I found this thread.

I am planning to put this MB in an Antec Solo build (general purpose/fileserver with 4 HDD's and 2 intake fans).

Do you think the intakes will sufficiently cool the Northbridge in this scenario?

If not, should I put them on the aft side of the HDD cage (near the center of the case)?

I'm thinking this approach would reduce noise by getting the fans away from the front of the case, and also cool the NB more effectively. Is this a valid assumption? Would it also keep the drives cool? This is a fan configuration that I haven't heard much about.

TIA.

laserred

Post by laserred » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:11 pm

AlpineCarver wrote:i've dumped the M2NPV-VM and replaced it with a biostar TF7050-M2.

the biostar is much better designed for passive cooling. it fits the ninja and hr-05 fit with room to spare. it looks like a video board with hr-03 would also fit, but i haven't tried it. with the biostar, the base of the hr-05 is only moderately warm to the touch under load, whereas the non-replaceable stock NB on the M2NPV-VM was scorching.

once i've had a little more soak time with the system, i'll post a summary in the "General Gallery" forum here.
I've got the TF7050-M2 as well, and I found also that the stock NB heatsink runs pretty cool even when using the onboard graphics. One thing that irks me about the HDMI, though, is that I can't get it to properly display on my Sony HDTV. It won't let me select a 1080i resolution, and 1080p obviously doesn't fit. None of the other resolutions fit properly either. Anyways, back on topic. I thought about getting a replacement NB heatsink, but I figured against dumping more heat right against the bottom of my CPU. I have a Ninja as well, and I use the included fan clips, and simply slide the fan downwards so the edge of the fan hangs below the heatsink, and blows air across the NB. This kills two birds with one stone for me. It even works fine when I do put my 7900GT with Accelero S1 back in the case from time to time. I need to get a dB meter, but I'd be willing to bet it's no louder than 22-23 dB with the Scythe Kama PWM fan controlling the show running at <800rpm. Keeps the CPU under 95*F under all my loads, and the GPU under 110*F. Good enough for me.

laserred

Post by laserred » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:17 pm

99emails wrote:I have the same motherboard (M2NPV-VM) and my computer automatically shuts down periodically.

I used Speedfan and Everest
I was getting weird random shutdowns too, and my temps never get above even low 40*C, so I knew it was something else. I've found that my shutdowns come from Speedfan, SmartGuardian, A64 Info, CoreTemp, and other programs that access the SMBus while in Windows. There is a huge thread over at DIY-Street but you'll have to search for it. Sometimes (SmartGuardian especially) will shut my rig off instantaneously, other times, like with CoreTemp, it can be entirely random from minutes to many, many hours. I'd be willing to bet if you stop using these SMBus-accessing programs and use only programs like Everest, you will see your random shutdowns go away. Good luck!

laserred

Post by laserred » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:46 pm

Motherboard Monitor 5 is another SMBus program, I just tried this one and it froze my board quicker than you can go "D'oh!" I am searching DIY-Street to dig up how to make these programs avoid scanning the SMBus. I'll post it up when I find it.

laserred

Post by laserred » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:47 pm

theMAGE

Post by theMAGE » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:57 pm

Erssa wrote:
AlpineCarver wrote:one man's "working just fine" is another man's "slowly cooking itself to death".

if you consider all the components, and the value of the time it takes to research, build, and maintain a PC, the cost of a replacement motherboard is a very small fraction. and when i said "dumped," i didn't mean it literally. the asus board will be sold or given away to someone who's not as fussy as i am...
Still the money would have been better spent, if you had upgraded to a faster and more energy efficient platform in a couple of years instead of waiting your usual 4-5 years.
Not necessarily. In a couple of years I would have to toss out the CPU and the memory, since I won't be able to find a motherboard that supports them.

provola

Asus M2NPV-VM mobo + Zalman ZM-NB47J northbridge heatsink?

Post by provola » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:18 am

I had just bought an used Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard , when I read this post. My plan was to use the M2NPV-VM with an Athlon X2 BE-2400 CPU (2.3GHz, 45W) and a Scythe Ninja Plus Rev.B or Scythe Ninja Mini cooler inside an Antec NSK3480 case without any PCI or PCI-E card.

Incidentally, I have a Zalman ZM-NB47J that could replace the original northbridge heatsink using thermal adhesive: could be it useful to install it?

And, in such a configuration, could Ninja or Ninja Mini do its work fanless?

AlpineCarver

Post by AlpineCarver » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:06 pm

i'm not up on the pros and cons of thermal adhesive.

the fanless ninja will cool the CPU fine, but something like a zalman CNPS-7000 or CNPS-7500 might blow some air over the NB. maybe the stock NB heatsink would work OK with one of those. you'd have to be diligent about keeping dust out of the zalman; they get fouled easily.

i generally prefer passive heatsinks and quiet fans, but with the M2NPV-VM, i'd be trying to get as much airflow over the NB as possible.

yaler

Post by yaler » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:17 pm

I've been using this mobo for half a year now, paid no particular attention to the heat issues and it's been fine. There are bigger issues with this board. At least for me. Specifically poor usb quality/performance. Get clicks and pops with my 0404 usb, and ASIO will screw up. Transfers to my ipod are dreadfully slow. I'm suspecting it's the on board video. Not fun!

provola

Post by provola » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:42 am

AlpineCarver wrote:the fanless ninja will cool the CPU fine, but something like a zalman CNPS-7000 or CNPS-7500 might blow some air over the NB. maybe the stock NB heatsink would work OK with one of those.
So, which could be the best solution for cooling my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard with Athlon X2 BE-2400 CPU inside an Antec NSK3480 case?
a) NSK3480 rear stock fan + Ninja Mini fanless + front 92mm fan(s)
b) NSK3480 rear stock fan + Ninja Plus Rev.B + Ninja Plus Rev.B stock fan
c) NSK3480 rear stock fan + Zalman CNPS-7000/7500
yaler wrote:There are bigger issues with this board. At least for me. Specifically poor usb quality/performance. Get clicks and pops with my 0404 usb, and ASIO will screw up. Transfers to my ipod are dreadfully slow. I'm suspecting it's the on board video. Not fun!
Uhm... As a last resource, any suggestion for an alternative motherboard (AM2 socket, microATX form factor, integrated Nvidia graphic card, integrated ieee1394, pata interface)?

yaler

Post by yaler » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:21 am

It might just be my specific board -- I'm really not sure. If you need to do real-time audio or video streams you might just have the same issues (I assume you might based on the firewire requirement).

Personally I wish I'd have gone with a full atx with no onboard video.

provola

Post by provola » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:27 pm

yaler wrote:It might just be my specific board -- I'm really not sure. If you need to do real-time audio or video streams you might just have the same issues (I assume you might based on the firewire requirement).
Well, the main (the only?) reason I need a new PC at home is that I need a system able to process input from my Canopus ADVC-100 (an analog/digital video converter).
yaler wrote:Personally I wish I'd have gone with a full atx with no onboard video.
And the reason I opted for microATX and onboard video is that I don't need to install a lot of PCI cards nor to have an expensive discrete graphic card.

Back to alternatives: any experience with or comment about ABIT NF-M2 nView? I've just found an entire post about it.

AlpineCarver

Post by AlpineCarver » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:08 am

provola wrote:So, which could be the best solution for cooling my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard with Athlon X2 BE-2400 CPU inside an Antec NSK3480 case?
a) NSK3480 rear stock fan + Ninja Mini fanless + front 92mm fan(s)
b) NSK3480 rear stock fan + Ninja Plus Rev.B + Ninja Plus Rev.B stock fan
c) NSK3480 rear stock fan + Zalman CNPS-7000/7500
i'd start with option (c). if the NB were still too hot, try addding 1 92mm fan, then another if necessary. as a last resort, find a way to aim a fan directly at the NB. not a great solution, but perhaps the best available.
Uhm... As a last resource, any suggestion for an alternative motherboard (AM2 socket, microATX form factor, integrated Nvidia graphic card, integrated ieee1394, pata interface)?
i'm very pleased with the biostar TF7050-M2 (but it doesn't have 1394 built in).

i've also had great success with the abit AN-M2 (click here). the AN-M2HD is nearly identical and has 1394.

a very new board that looks great (but i haven't tried myself) is the asus M3A78-EMH.

provola

Post by provola » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:18 am

AlpineCarver wrote:i'd start with option (c). if the NB were still too hot, try addding 1 92mm fan, then another if necessary. as a last resort, find a way to aim a fan directly at the NB. not a great solution, but perhaps the best available.
I hate to admit, but probably option "d) buy another mobo" sounds less problematic.
AlpineCarver wrote:i'm very pleased with the biostar TF7050-M2 (but it doesn't have 1394 built in).

i've also had great success with the abit AN-M2 (click here). the AN-M2HD is nearly identical and has 1394.
Integrated ieee1394 interface would be nice, but not essential.

I asked about ABIT NF-M2 nView because I have the opportunity to buy a slightly used one and because its heatpipe/heatsink seems to be better than Asus M2NPV-VM one (see http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherbo ... M2%20nView).

provola

Post by provola » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:20 am

AlpineCarver wrote:i'd start with option (c). if the NB were still too hot, try addding 1 92mm fan, then another if necessary. as a last resort, find a way to aim a fan directly at the NB. not a great solution, but perhaps the best available.
I hate to admit, but probably option "d) buy another mobo" sounds less problematic.
AlpineCarver wrote:i'm very pleased with the biostar TF7050-M2 (but it doesn't have 1394 built in).

Integrated ieee1394 interface would be nice, but not essential.

I asked about ABIT NF-M2 nView because I have the opportunity to buy a slightly used one and because its heatpipe/heatsink seems to be better than Asus M2NPV-VM one (see http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherbo ... M2%20nView).