Ok ... just how the heck do I mount a Ninja?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:25 pm

I've got the Thermalright bolt-thru kit. Do I have to Bolt the Ninja to it outside the case and then carefully wedge it in? I'm not sure I can do that without damaging something. Or can I mount the bolt-thru to the back of the mobo, mount the mobo and then mount the Ninja? If the latter option *IS* viable ... how the hell do i get bolts into the holes!?

I admit I am obviously clueless. <sigh>

How "risky" *is* simply using the push-pins?

Thanks,
pat----

NTNgod

Re: Ok ... just how the heck do I mount a Ninja?

Post by NTNgod » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:27 pm

psklenar wrote:I've got the Thermalright bolt-thru kit. Do I have to Bolt the Ninja to it outside the case and then carefully wedge it in? I'm not sure I can do that without damaging something. Or can I mount the bolt-thru to the back of the mobo, mount the mobo and then mount the Ninja? If the latter option *IS* viable ... how the hell do i get bolts into the holes!?
First, if you're installing the bolt-thru kit, you're going to need a long phillips-head screwdriver... if you don't have one of those on hand, you're going to need it - no two ways about it.

It would be easier to mount everything BEFORE you put it in the case, but you can stick the backplate on the board and then do the rest while it's inside the case - it'll just be trickier, and if you don't have the long screwdriver, virtually impossible.

If you mount it inside the case, the easiest way is to begin (after you've applied your thermal paste) by attaching a bolt to end of the screwdriver (magnetic tip helps a lot here) and pushing the screwdriver & bolt through the notch in the corner you're working on. This can be tricky, and may take a few attempts, to put it mildly. Screw it in a bit so it won't go anywhere (but not all the way just yet).

Once you have one bolt in, move to the corner diagonally across from the one you just inserted, and repeat.

Once you've got all four bolts in, THEN tighten them up all. You'll know they're in far enough when they won't go any further.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Don't forget the mounting order (the order the bolts are tightened)

if you're looking down at the board, that is the order in which the bolts are tightened, and that is the same order that you're supposed to put the pushpins through the board in order to reduce flex and unneeded tension on the motherboard which can cause internal damage to motherboard's PCB layers.

i'd also suggest mounting the whole assembly outside of the case so that you can be aware of the tension on the motherboard, and also to make it easier on yourself.

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Definitely remove the motherboard while installing the Ninja. I managed to hand tighten the bolts completely, but it is obviously easier with a long screwdriver. Follow instructions here http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... 5_bolt.htm

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:58 am

Thank you all for the quick replies. I'll stop at the hardware shop on the way home from work this evening and pick up a long, preferabbly magnatized screwdriver. I think I'll also look to see if I can find any bent tip needle nose pliers & try using those to position the bolts before I pull the mother board out and do it outside the case. It's a tighter fit than I had expected (Asus Maximus Extreme in an Antec Sonata III).

oh ... do these heat sinks get more dangerous after they taste blood? :)

Again, thank you all!
pat----

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:10 am

Have fun with the Sonata's HedFukBar :D Damn the only purpose for that beam is to cause the user to get frustrated to hell when he/she tries to either install a new cooler or the Antec's PSU blows up and needs to be replaced.

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:31 am

hehe ... no worries about the Antec PSU going boom in this box for me ... I bought a Modu82+ for the case and realized that trying to screw the mobo in, let alone trying to mount the Ninja that it would just be in the way. I'm pretty sure I could carefully navigate it in & out past the Ninja (by removing the memory (which hasn't been installed in my case yet anyhow), but decided to "play it safe" and I have it (the power supply) in the upper bay, but slid forward basically sitting in the upper drive cage. So I can work around the Ninja w/o that in the way and I can fit my hand in through where the P/S would normally vent.

I'm just hoping that last nights taste of blood doesn't encourage it to try & slice up & dice up my fingers any more. Right up there with one of the more unpleasent "paper" cuts I've had in years. :roll:

pat----

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:25 am

Thank you all!!

I picked up a long (10-12"?), thin phillips head screwdriver at Sears on the way home. Also picked up a pair of 11" long needle nose pliers with a 45 degree bent tip and a screwdriver magnetizer/demagnetizer. Using these tools, I was able to bolt the Ninja onto my motherboard while still in the Sonata III case in less than 60 seconds. The pliers were really helpful. in the two corners nearest the I/O shield ... the Maximus Extreme motherboard has some rather large heatsinks/heat pipes on the mosfets and stuff that really makes it tight in that area.

And no more blood was drawn. Much to the disappointment of the heatsink I suspect. :twisted:

Again, thank you!
pat----

Longbow

Post by Longbow » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:07 pm

gratz on ur installation

how you like it? my load temp dropped 4~5'C with the bolt-thru kit.

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:35 am

Longbow,

I think I like it. I can't recall compare anything because this is a new build from the ground up, so the system's never run with anything other than the Ninja with the TR Bolt-thru kit. I've run the Prime95 tool in "torture test" mode and have been seeing the following high temps

CoreTemp: 48C & 56C
Everest (trial): 48C & 56C
HW Monitor: 48C & 56C
RealTemp: 38C and 46C

I know there's been a lot of discussion about RealTemp being accurate, but with three other tools all reporting 10C higher ... <shrug>

What I find "interesting" is that at idle, the three tools tyhat match above all report 46C & 42 to 43C and RealTemp reports 36C & 32 to 33C (again, 10C lower per core). Note the core 1 temp ... barely changes between idle and stress (and according to PerfMon & the Everest trial version, I was running both cores @ 100%). RealTemp has a "test sensor" button and the results description indicates that if a core shows a "0" test result at idle, that the temp diode is "stuck". Core 1 appears to be "stuck".

I wonder if this is indicative of a problem with the CPU (i.e.; should I RMA it?) or if it's really a non-issue?

Anyhow, as for the Ninja ... I have a 1200 RPM FDB Sycthe on it and another one on the back of the case (replaced the Antec Tri-Cool). No other fans. Yet.

pat----

Longbow

Post by Longbow » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:31 pm

psklenar wrote: I wonder if this is indicative of a problem with the CPU (i.e.; should I RMA it?) or if it's really a non-issue?
that looks strange, my temp was like 1~2'C difference between the 2 cores. :roll:

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Agreed, it looks weird. But ... I ran Prime95 for around 8 hours yesterday with nary a problem. <shrug>

pat----

FreeBaGeL

Post by FreeBaGeL » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:53 am

That's what she said...

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:42 pm

<Rimshot please>