How much Electricity do you use? How much can you REDUCE it?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:52 am

About 175kWh per month, two people in a two room apartment, 52m^2. Two computers, forced mechanical ventilation (with some idiotic kind of preheating that I have managed to disable) washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwashing machine. Pretty dark here in the winter :) Heating is district heating from burning trash and industrial production surplus.

We discovered our microwave had a standby draw of 65w. We were shocked to say the least. Now it's on a 30 minute timer. The server actually has a draw of 100w, but it's not in the apartment but an adjacent storage and so is on a different bill.

I think we could do 155kWh/month if I can convince the gf to cut the use of the tumble dryer even harder and if we turn of the forced ventilation and open the windows instead when possible.

@HueyCobra:
We use a breaker to turn of the computers "hard", stops the vampire draw from the computer, switch, monitor, amplifier and wireless - all the junk that's associated with the desktop. The laptop we simply pull the plug on :)

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:54 am

kentc, good effort with 175 kWh between two people.

I'm wondering whether I should turn off my microwave when it's not in use. How does your 30 minute timer arrangement work?
kentc wrote:We use a breaker to turn of the computers "hard", stops the vampire draw from the computer, switch, monitor, amplifier and wireless - all the junk that's associated with the desktop. The laptop we simply pull the plug on :)
I might start pulling the plug on the monitor but everything else has to stay on. Unfortunately, as Dan's Data noted:
Dan's Data wrote:If I plug the monitor into a switched cord then I can easily turn it off properly. But sometimes, when I turn it back on, it forgets what its brightness setting was when I turned it off, and gives me 50% brightness instead. I often don't notice this until I start wondering why my eyes are watering, by which time I now know the extra brightness has probably wasted more power than I saved by turning the screen off properly in the first place.

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:08 am

HueyCobra wrote:kentc, good effort with 175 kWh between two people.
Thank you! It's really not that hard I think, when we're as well set up as we are. At first I didn't like it that we had the washing machine and dryer in our apartment. in Sweden it's much more common to share those facilities with the rest of your apartment building. But as time has gone by I think I've come to realize that, atleast for a family our size, a smaller, less energy consuming washing machine that is then always filled to capacity is probably better then a larger shared macine that would rarely be full. Both in terms of water and electricity consumption. Also all the appliances are brand new and of the highest energy rating.
HueyCobra wrote:I'm wondering whether I should turn off my microwave when it's not in use. How does your 30 minute timer arrangement work?
$10 timer in the cupboard above the microwave. At first we simply unplugged it, but that was more difficult to handle while cooking. Plans of a breaker under the cupboard was scraped. It works just fine like this. I actually checked a friends microwave of the same make, to see if it was an error with our model or sample. His used 73w in idle!! For some reason current is constantly flowing to the motor that spins the dish. It can be seen when plugging or unplugging, the dish will twitch slightly.

Dan's Data wrote:If I plug the monitor into a switched cord then I can easily turn it off properly. But sometimes, when I turn it back on, it forgets what its brightness setting was when I turned it off, and gives me 50% brightness instead. I often don't notice this until I start wondering why my eyes are watering, by which time I now know the extra brightness has probably wasted more power than I saved by turning the screen off properly in the first place.
Strangely, I haven't noticed this on our 2007WFP. I see you have the 3007.

On a related note - how much is electricity in the different countries? Here we pay (approximately) almost $200/1000kWh plus $160/year which means we pay about $560/year for our consumtion. How does that compare?

Kent

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:00 pm

kentc wrote:I actually checked a friends microwave of the same make, to see if it was an error with our model or sample. His used 73w in idle!! For some reason current is constantly flowing to the motor that spins the dish. It can be seen when plugging or unplugging, the dish will twitch slightly.
That is terrible, I would report that to the local news station. They would have a lot of fun with that statistic. What brand is it?
kentc wrote:On a related note - how much is electricity in the different countries? Here we pay (approximately) almost $200/1000kWh plus $160/year which means we pay about $560/year for our consumtion. How does that compare?
Kent
That is 20 cents a kWh, and if you are stating this in euros it's about 32 cents a kWh in US dollars. That's twice what I get charged. I think we have a $15 dollar a month flat fee also, which in euros is like 15 cents. :shock:

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:40 pm

aristide1 wrote:
kentc wrote:I actually checked a friends microwave of the same make, to see if it was an error with our model or sample. His used 73w in idle!! For some reason current is constantly flowing to the motor that spins the dish. It can be seen when plugging or unplugging, the dish will twitch slightly.
That is terrible, I would report that to the local news station. They would have a lot of fun with that statistic. What brand is it?
Siemens - big name like that ought to know better. Yeah we're thinking we should atleast tell our neighbours. 24 newly built apartments, all with the same utilities... 24*65w*24hrs*365=an incredible waste. But how do you do that without having your neighbours thinking you're a complete freak? Anonymous flyers distributed during the night has crossed my mind :)
aristide1 wrote:
kentc wrote:On a related note - how much is electricity in the different countries? Here we pay (approximately) almost $200/1000kWh plus $160/year which means we pay about $560/year for our consumtion. How does that compare?
Kent
That is 20 cents a kWh, and if you are stating this in euros it's about 32 cents a kWh in US dollars. That's twice what I get charged. I think we have a $15 dollar a month flat fee also, which in euros is like 15 cents. :shock:
Nono, no €uros. We have actually kept our own currency, the Krona.

Kent

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:12 pm

kentc wrote:Strangely, I haven't noticed this on our 2007WFP. I see you have the 3007.
I haven't tested whether my monitor forgets the brightness setting when power is removed. It would have been better if the capacitative touch on/off switch hadn't been implemented at all. The monitor's USB hub also contributes to draw, so I leave it unpowered (not that I would use it anyway).
kentc wrote:On a related note - how much is electricity in the different countries?
I pay 12.1c per kWh (with our dollar currently at ~US$0.90) but the price of all utilities has been steadily rising (electricity was 9.9c per kWh at the start of 2006). However, water is not metered against individual usage but levied against the body corporate. I hope that will change because I am undoubtedly subsidising the other apartments.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:46 am

Hello,

My household average was 860.46KWH per month.

In March last year, we used 1006KWH (which is the highest single month in the last year).

This March, we reduced it to 586KWH! Our new average is 743KWH.

We did this by being much more consistent at turning out lights when we leave a room, and minimizing the number of lights on.
Turning off 2 (of 3) computers, because they are very slow at Folding@Home compared to the newest computer.
Turning off VCR/DVD player and audio amps with plug strip when not in use.

How low can YOU go?
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucas82

Post by lucas82 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:25 am

160KWh per month.
two people in one apartment measuring 45 square meters.
No need for heaters, because it's very hot in Brazil.