Scythe Ninja and X38

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NightWatcher

Scythe Ninja and X38

Post by NightWatcher » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:02 am

Greetings all,

I have been lurking around these forums for some time, picking up bits of info. I did a search but couldn't find anything specific for this question.
I am putting together a new quiet rig (general purpose and gaming), utilizing an Asus Maximus Formula X38 chipset (not the SE edition); though I haven't received the MB yet. I was wandering if a Scythe Ninja would fit this MB. I like the Thermalright towers, but they seem so heavy (over 700 grams without the fan); I don't intend to do much, if any, overclocking, so a Ninja would probably be more than adequate, but I wonder about the fit considering the amount of electrics around the CPU socket. Has anyone here tried a Ninja on this MB or know someone who has?

alfhenrik

Post by alfhenrik » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:40 pm

According to some guys at the NCIX forums (LINK) the Ninja fits the Asus Maximus Formula with no issues.

So I'd say that you'd be fine.

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Looking at the Asus web site, the Formula looks pretty darn near identical to the Extreme in and around the CPU socket area. I just finished building a new system and the Ninja fit like a charm. Clicking on the following images will open up larger versions(800x600):

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

The case is an Antec Sonata III. I replaced the stock Earthwatts 500 with the Modu82+. Scythe FDB 1200RPM fans on the case (replaced the stock TriCool) and the Ninja. I haven't gotten any games installed yet, so no idea how loud the video card cooler is going to be under load, effectively silent so far ... if it's too bad, I'll have to replace it with an S1.

pat----

NightWatcher

Post by NightWatcher » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:53 pm

Well then, I will go ahead and get a Ninja ordered. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply with the link and pictures! Much appreciated!
:D