Antec P182 TriFan removing, Easy enough ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Unklemac

Antec P182 TriFan removing, Easy enough ?

Post by Unklemac » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:49 am

Hi there!

Im about to receive my case, in the next few days, and was wondering how easy it is to remove the fans and replace them with my own (Scythe Flex's) ?

Do I need anything extra ? Cables, Tape, Tools ?

I just want to be prepared for this, since its taken a while to get everything, and don't want to miss anything when the final part arrives - the P182 :)

Hope you can help me out.

Sincerly

Unklemac

yaler

Post by yaler » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:59 am

a screwdriver ;)

Hydrazine
Location: betweent keyboard and chair (chair lives in the Netherlands)

Post by Hydrazine » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:49 am

... and a cable cutter to cut the fans loose from the speed switch.

Unklemac

Post by Unklemac » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks for your replies :)

Sounds not so hard after all!

The cable cutter, do I need to cut any cords ? I wouldn't like to destroy any cables :)

Hydrazine
Location: betweent keyboard and chair (chair lives in the Netherlands)

Post by Hydrazine » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:20 am

Unklemac wrote:Thanks for your replies :)

Sounds not so hard after all!

The cable cutter, do I need to cut any cords ? I wouldn't like to destroy any cables :)
you can either remove the switch, it is only attached with 2 screws (i think), or you will have to cut through the cables.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:39 pm

P182 fan's controller are hold in place by 2x plastic claws in the fan control unit. Bending them allows removing the tri-cool controller without tools.

Unklemac

Post by Unklemac » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:35 pm

thejamppa wrote:P182 fan's controller are hold in place by 2x plastic claws in the fan control unit. Bending them allows removing the tri-cool controller without tools.
Sounds easy, I guess the screws are mounted where they connect with the fan controller. Thanks for the input :)

Also thanks to you Hydrazine for your reply, its good to know I can do this without breaking anything.

All this should be a smooth sailing to exchange the Fans with new ones, even though I'm a total dork to manage cabling. And once the Cabinet gets here, I want it done asap, to start "testing" :)

Cheers :D

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:14 am

can the fan controllers be connected to the replacement fans in anyway. i dont have the p182 yet, but am looking to get 1. and replace with slipstreem 800 or flex.

jeffc

Post by jeffc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:07 am

Hi Ash, the Tri-cools at the back and top of the case have their speed switches held in a small plastic bracket between them at the back of the case. The switches are wired into the stock fans and probably would usually not be usable with other fans.

P.S. All that's needed to get any of the stock fans out is a screwdriver.

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:13 pm

thanks jeffc,

thats a shame, would have been nice to use that feature with quieter fans of your own choice. i know they can be controlled by other means but it seems a but of a waste.

jeffc

Post by jeffc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:30 am

I have not taken apart a Tri-cool, but the switch is built into the circuit of the fan. In other words, the switch is controlling something in the fan itself. The switch isn't really the controller. Since there's only a 12V input, it could be switched resistors, or something fancier like PWM. (Most likely it's just resistors for the specific fan current.) But in any case it's built into the fan and likely not directly usable on other fans.