Abit iP35 dark raider and the molex connector

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cistron

Abit iP35 dark raider and the molex connector

Post by Cistron » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:46 am

Aloha,

My motherboard has an additional molex connector, which according to the manual devotes additional power to the PCIe connectors. The plug is in a really moronic position on the board - south-west to the CPU socket. It is quite a pain connecting a molex plug there and since my graphics card is going to need an extra PCIe power plug anyway, I was wondering if it has any detrimental effects on my board if I omit the molex connection.

PSU is an Enermax Pro82+ 385W, CPU is an E2160@3GHz with 1.285V and the graphics card is going to be an HD3870.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Cistron

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:53 am

Hi there

I've got the same motherboard and have never plugged in the addtional molex connector. So far I haven't had any troubles. I posted this same question on the abit forums, and they reckoned it was ok to leave it unplugged.

I've got an E6750 @ 3.2Ghz and X1950Pro, if that makes any difference.

toki_c
Patron of SPCR

Post by toki_c » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:27 am

Well, if you read the manual carefuly r... yu should know that the molex connector is just there in case of an eager dual GPU configuration.
Even if you set up an CrosfireX you should have no need to plug anything... well in the case of using two 3870X2 in CrosfireX, Abit should advice you to plug a molex there. But it's just an advice for a matter of stabilty with eager GPU... nothing much.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:27 am

Thanks a lot! This makes cable management a lot easier.