PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

warriorpoet

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610?

Post by warriorpoet » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:59 pm

I know, I know. They're louder than a Modu82+, but I'd prefer something with a straight through arrangement for my p180, and these are always solid units, if not extremely quiet. Plus, $100 seems very reasonable. ;)

Are there any options for fan replacement, perhaps, that might make for a good alternative?

FWIW, yes, I need a 610w PSU.

C2Duo e6600@ 3GHz
4Gb DDR2 800
WD RAID0
1x Samsung 160Gb SATA2 drive.
800GTX@ 630/ 2000
Full H20 kit
7 12mm fans @ 3-5v.

I just watched my Enermax Liberty literally explode a few days ago, so please, no Enermax.

edit: This machine will be getting a 4 drive RAID 0+1 overhaul, a quad core and another 4Gb RAM in a couple months; it will be used primarily for studio work. I love PCP&C's rep for reliability, but I question their commitment to quiet.

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:24 pm

not too quiet but it seems the system you are putting together is not going to be anywhere close to "silent" when under load, what with 8800gtx and all those drives. it's probably reasonable to assume that the psu's fan noise won't be all that noticeable in the lower chamber of p180.

i am not going to comment on your needing psu with 600w sustained output.

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:35 pm

mcoleg wrote:not too quiet but it seems the system you are putting together is not going to be anywhere close to "silent" when under load, what with 8800gtx and all those drives. it's probably reasonable to assume that the psu's fan noise won't be all that noticeable in the lower chamber of p180.

i am not going to comment on your needing psu with 600w sustained output.
GTX is water cooled (full cover ek), drives are in enclosures. There's a reason I replaced the Liberty's fan ;)

As for my RAID 0+1 array, I'll probably have to finagle something to make it work with some modicum of quiet. Perhaps I'll treat myself to an AcoustiPack lined PC-767 under an insulated desk in an insulated room...if I can get it past the wife :D

The room it's going to be in is already pretty soundproof. I don't have any measuring equipment here yet, but it's going to be like a tomb at 2a, when I do most of my recording.

As for 600w sustained, I know most of the time I'll top out at 300 -450w load, but I do like to overbuild things. Also, the 610 watt PCP&C has a better noise profile at load than the lesser powered models (the "hinge" is later), and I never know when I'll need the extra capacity, especially if I decide to add more H2o Cooling, or power more peripherals, or add another dedicated recording card, or OC my quad core or...

How's your 750 act?

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:25 am

well, actually you would ever hardly break 300w but that's besides the point, i guess.

as for the sound on mine, it's noticeable but not unpleasant. the ea380 i use with the same system is less loud, however. not sure what else point of reference to pick here...

you could always replace the fan if it's too loud, i suppose.

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:29 am

mcoleg wrote:well, actually you would ever hardly break 300w but that's besides the point, i guess.

as for the sound on mine, it's noticeable but not unpleasant. the ea380 i use with the same system is less loud, however. not sure what else point of reference to pick here...

you could always replace the fan if it's too loud, i suppose.
Any suggestions for replacement?

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:24 pm

i didn't touch my pcp&c, too expensive...

but it's a seasonic-made, so, you could probably use the same fans as ppl who mod ea380 and ea500 use. nexus 80mm might work.

i moded one of the ea380 i have with a slow-rpm MNB fan. it wouldn't start with the pc but as soon as there was higher load or as it got warmer, it would kick in. semi-silent :p

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm running prime 95, F@H (SPCR team FTW), and ATi Tool concurrently right now. In three hours the fan has yet to ramp up.

The loudest thing in my system are the three externally mounted Yate Loons at 5v, just above the PSU. I have to figure out how to get my mitts on a Thermochill 120.3 shroud...

As an added bonus, the random stability issues that plagued this config have mysteriously disappeared. :D

I'm still looking forward to a fan swap for the sake of anality (look, I coined a a phrase :P), but it's no longer the priority I thought it would be. This is a surprisingly quiet PSU considering PCP&C's rep here, at least under my current 100% CPU, GPU, RAM load.

Chalk one up for PCP&C.

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:45 pm

as i mentioned before, in the lower chamber of p180 and with bunch of other stuff packed into the system, this psu's noise is not really noticeable.

wait with that fan-swap for the warranty's sake, let the psu burn-in a bit to make sure it's not a lemon.

AVT

Post by AVT » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:09 pm

They're louder than a modu82+, but by how much?

A straight arrangement would solve the problems I've been having fitting a PSU in my custom case.

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:26 am

The 610 isn't as loud as the 510, if that helps. It has an 80mm fan - which can't compete with a 120mm, slower one. Mine found a new home in the local home for the deaf a year ago.