[Aging] Fans

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Krazy Kommando

[Aging] Fans

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:45 pm

Hey all,
Ive recently noticed that my PC isnt as quiet as it used to be; and its not just my addiction to silencing either as other people have said that it seems louder. Ive determined that the noise is coming from my zalman 7700AlCu cpu cooler. Ive been using this cooler since i first built my system quite a few years ago, so i guess its getting a bit worn. now for my question, what can i do about it without replacing the whole thing? ill be getting a new PC at the end of the year, so its really not worth getting a new HSF for it. but if there is something i can do to repair it id love to know.
Cheers

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:04 am

I removed the fan assy from my 7700, then cut the guts out of a Yate Loon 120. I then epoxied everything back together. I needed to cut out an aluminum spacer plate for the new fan hub to get the fan to sit at the right height.

Saved a few bucks.... :D

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 am

I did the same with a Sythe S-Flex(technically a 92mm Kama) and it has the same CFM. Just literally 1/4 the noise. The Zalman is one of the best heatsinks on the market in terms of cooling power. But Zalman puts a worthless fan in it as well, everyone has noticed.

If Zalman would put Sythe fans on their coolers, their populatiry would rise, I'm sure.

I have a 9500, though. But the basics should be the same. I chose the Scythe because of the bearings. I've yet to have a fan that doesn't sound like a small jet engine from beaing noise in 4-6 months, so this is likely to be a lot more quiet as it ages.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:23 am

hmm, changing the fan isnt a bad idea but it does seem like a bit of effort. although i like to think of myself as a bit of a handy man with computers, i don't like making modifications that cant be easily reversed.
is there any other possible way to reduce bearing noise? like some how giving it a dash of oil or something?

oh btw- whoever changed the spelling of the thread title, "aging" is spelt with an e (ageing) in Australia/UK :wink: [/grammar nazi]

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:56 am

Krazy Kommando wrote:...i don't like making modifications that cant be easily reversed.
You don't have to make the fan swap permanent. I did it on my CNPS 7000 (I think 7700 has similar fan holder) by cutting the fan like Bluefront did, but leave some stubs there a bit. Attach the fan hub with CNPS fan holder using 3M double-sided foam tape, then zip tied the fan holder and the short stubs to make it more secured. Been using that for the last 3 years without any problem. :D
is there any other possible way to reduce bearing noise? like some how giving it a dash of oil or something?
You can also try that. Peel off the fan sticker, take out the rubber plug and put 1-2 drops in the small hole. I used Singer sewing machine oil - someone told me not to use all purpose oil as it'll dry out quick.

As others said earlier, Zalman fan is quite loud so oil will not help much.