Thermalright XP-90 still viable?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

valnar

Thermalright XP-90 still viable?

Post by valnar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:39 pm

I noticed the 'Egg doesn't care Thermalright stuff any more, but I have an XP-90 cooler in another PC and like it a lot. I was thinking of buying another for a new Quad core Q9450 build. I only have it on a P4 Northwood now, so I don't know how it will fare with a quad. They can still be found online. Given the rave reviews, I foresee it would still do a good job today with almost any 92mm fan.

Bang for size, it is one of the best heatsinks made. Only 75mm tall and 360g, but holds it's own with a modern tower HS.

Is it crazy to still want to hunt one down? My other choice is a Ninja Mini, which is considerably larger for about the same performance. Any reason not to buy one?

Robert

Felger Carbon

Re: Thermalright XP-90 still viable?

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:59 pm

valnar wrote:Any reason not to buy one?
Yes. Don't buy one to cool a hot 4-core CPU. Seriously.

If you want an HSF for a low-power nongaming nonvideo decoding PC, it's still a terrific product. The machine I'm typing on at the moment, my #1 machine, uses one.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:
Based on some other threads I've seen on here, it doesn't appear the Q9300 and Q9450 are hot at all, especially when undervolted. I forget who it was, but somebody here has one running at roughly 1 volt and drawing something like 105 watts total system power IIRC. Considering my Opteron 185 with an XP-90 draws around 160 watts and stays around 60C running FAH SMP, an undervolted Q9450 is probably totally within the XP-90's abilities. It probably comes down to if the OP intends to undervolt at stock speed, or if he wanted to overclock at stock voltage, which are two totally different scenarios.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:50 pm

AZBrandon wrote:
Felger Carbon wrote:
Based on some other threads I've seen on here, it doesn't appear the Q9300 and Q9450 are hot at all, especially when undervolted. I forget who it was, but somebody here has one running at roughly 1 volt and drawing something like 105 watts total system power IIRC.
I doubt those figures. Even if he undervolts that CPU (why would somebody buy powerfull CPU and undervolt it instead of buying lower performance CPU is beyond me) but that particular CPU is rated at 95W. even if he shaves 15-30 watts ( doubt that 30w number too) and have it running well that would mean that his entire system, sans CPU draws like what 20W !! Doubt that too. Maybe he is running his computer with only CPU and 2 stick of ram, i dont know :-)

On topic: There are many, many better HSF out there today, and XP-90 will not be able to cool that CPU quietly. Sure if you put a 2600rpm fan on it but that's not quiet. That's torture ;-)

nick705

Post by nick705 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:07 pm

Redzo wrote: I doubt those figures. Even if he undervolts that CPU (why would somebody buy powerfull CPU and undervolt it instead of buying lower performance CPU is beyond me)
You're confusing undervolting with underclocking - you don't lose any performance simply by undervolting. In fact, it's perfectly possible to combine undervolting with overclocking, although it's always a case of YMMV and your success will depend on the capabilities of your own particular chip.

valnar

Post by valnar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:00 am

I will not be undervolting or overclocking. Stock speed. I also figured since it was a 45nm CPU, that almost any HSF would be fine. No?

What's a good heatsink that is relatively small, and can take a quiet 92mm fan?

Robert

amyhughes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by amyhughes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:33 am

Redzo wrote:why would somebody buy powerfull CPU and undervolt it instead of buying lower performance CPU is beyond me
There aren't a lot of 45nm chips available right now. I bought an E8400 that I plan to undervolt and underclock, because it was the only dual-core 45 available (E8200 has since briefly come and gone from stock). If it works better than my Athlon 4450E tests I'll go with the E8400 for my low-power system, and then swap it into my main rig when more modest 45's become available. If it doesn't work well it'll go into my main rig right away, as a minor boost from an OC 6750.

An expensive test, and more than anything I'm just curious :), but it won't go to waste either way.

BlueCan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BlueCan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:41 am

valnar wrote:I will not be undervolting or overclocking. Stock speed. I also figured since it was a 45nm CPU, that almost any HSF would be fine. No?

What's a good heatsink that is relatively small, and can take a quiet 92mm fan?

Robert
You might want to rethink that. I always undervolt the CPU as much as possible. It's the easiest way to lower the amount of heat generated by your CPU. Utilities like RMClock are your friend...

I've got an XP-90 on "hers", and it's more than enough for the 3200 Winchester. I wouldn't use it on one of the highest-end C2D or Q's, but the mid-to-low range should be easily handled with the XP.

-Patrick

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Thu May 01, 2008 3:25 pm

I have two XP-90 installed on client boards. Both are Intel D875PBZ, and the fan is the Panaflo 92mm 12H. Noise is not objectionable for business class machines.

The XP-90 is about all the weight I would want on the P4 socket 478 retention clips. It is not too much. The downdraft puts a gentle breeze on the VRM area, but I have a feeling it might now be enough breeze. Touch your VRM caps before and after, to see if there is a noticeable increase in temperature to the touch.

I am completely satisifed with the installation and quality of the XP-90 heat sinks. Very well made. They are positive mounting, and cannot swivel around like its bigger siblings which are retained entirely by spring pressure. The XP-90 is sprung also, but the arms are fixed so it cannot swivel. It mounts in 1 direction only.

colm

Post by colm » Fri May 02, 2008 11:49 am

I am keeping my xp90 for the next gen upgrade, no doubts about it.
12000 hours in an 80mm fan case with a 2.8e (Roaster!)

just today hacked for a 92 mm to fit my reverse cooling, by opening the back up, using a grill, and making my own ductwork fit all back together in the antec 2600 case. Still only 3 fans....

I am convinced the quad fours are smarter with cooling. Just the fact that the nm is 45 does wonders.
I would trust the xp90 for another 12000 hours on a better orgnaized cpu anyday..

the older they are, the wilder they are. meaning, similar heat numbers are even hotter and more localized in older stuff. I would even try something smaller on a quad four. Remember it is 45nm, 65nm now. The older are like soapstones the bigger they got.(90 to 130)

and yes, I have self declared myself a moron for the 2.5 years and an 80mm case fan as a cpu fan..although getting away with it, I have explained a few errors because of the fan . HD vids at vimeo have been blipping since day one, today with the 92mm as the cpu fan, I saw it play smooth. I could have Kicked myself with embarassment. I did put several hours into my own cooling for silence. It is very difficult apparently.

In other words for this poster, definately stay with 92mm if to xp90. I even got a cheap one locally called zalman fm2 (sleeve bearing, plain jane simply old fashioned...but reports rpms very nicely). A bonus was 1400rpm all the way to 2909! (and this hot bugger needed it!) Using all range of mobos cpu rpms is also a must do (mine has 8 steps). Be careful of the fans you plug in there...you may blame the greatest heatsink designs ever, the xp90 is certainly one of them to take ahead with you.

valnar

Post by valnar » Fri May 02, 2008 12:13 pm

I bought another XP-90 and an Ultima-90 as well. I've got a second machine I can use the XP-90 in if it doesn't work well for my quad. If not, I'll use the Ultima-90.

Robert