IR keyboards...are they any good?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nitram_tpr

IR keyboards...are they any good?

Post by nitram_tpr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:15 am

Hi,

I'm after a cordless keyboard and have seen a few of the older MS MCE keyboards that are IR controlled. I have the Antec Fusion case which has the built in IR receiver in the LCD. Will this keyboard work with this receiver?

TIA.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:10 am

No, the IR frequency of the two would most likely be different and therefore not work. Imagine what would happen if all IR remotes used the same frequency? You'd turn on your TV and your DVD player would eject, your receiver might switch to the radio and your TIVO would erase your recording of the Gilmore Girls.

Besides, the IR controller board of the Fusion will be coded to specific functions and not a general IR receiver. You'd have to use a separate IR keyboard.

In general, I'd avoid them and pony up for the diNovo Edge or Mini, if it suits your purpose. Built-in trackpad, decent bluetooth range, rechargeable...what else do you need?

For me, I have an old Gyration airmouse/keybaord combo that's served me well, but the remote is what's used for controlling most of the HTPCs functions. Only when importing new movies do I need the keyboard.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:57 am

Logitech has brilliant wireless keyboards :) as all logitech stuff, it is almost indistructable :D ideal for everyday use :)

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:15 pm

jhhoffma wrote:In general, I'd avoid them and pony up for the diNovo Edge or Mini, if it suits your purpose. Built-in trackpad, decent bluetooth range, rechargeable...what else do you need?
If price is not an issue, go with diNovo Edge.

But there are some cheaper alternatives as well. For example Ione Scorpius P20. It costs only 40 euros here and has a joystick control for mouse.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:48 pm

I got a Logitech EX 110 for my secondary computer. $40 and it works well. Wireless optical mouse and wireless keyboard. If you want to spend serious money, there are proper options, but most people don't want to spend $100+ on a keyboard.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:30 pm

Plekto wrote:most people don't want to spend $100+ on a keyboard.
Well it's not just a keyboard, it's also a mouse.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:30 pm

jhhoffma wrote:and your TIVO would erase your recording of the Gilmore Girls.
is that *really* a bad thing?

nitram_tpr

Post by nitram_tpr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:33 am

Basically I want a backlit cordless keyboard with built in trackpad/mouse type doohicky, so I think the only other option is really the Dinovo mini.
It's a pity the G15 doesn't come in a cordless version :( Or the edge in a backlit version.