Thermaltake MaxOrb Heatpipe Cooler: Maximum Orbness

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Thermaltake MaxOrb Heatpipe Cooler: Maximum Orbness

Post by MikeC » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:15 am

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:26 am

Extreme Silence and Maximum Cooling : No other company would describe the low noise their product produces as "extreme."
:lol:
A typical TT product IMO. High fan speed, very loud (at default voltage especially, which lets face it most people who buy it will use for various reasons) not very efficient heatsink design and LED's.

fri2219

Pushpins... Just Say No!

Post by fri2219 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:56 am

Friends don't let friends use pushpins.

Just say no!

Modo

Post by Modo » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:26 am

FartingBob wrote:not very efficient heatsink design
I think this is the one thing they actually did ok. If I read the numbers correctly, performance is just below TR SI-128 SE. This isn't so bad, especially considering that MaxOrb is a tad lighter and lower. The other design choices (especially the crazy mounting) are poor, on that I agree.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:13 pm

I was a little upset to see this site even review a TT product.

I really hope you guys didnt put any money into TT's pockets for this review.

I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another TT review on this site, and die happy.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:22 pm

Aris wrote:I was a little upset to see this site even review a TT product.

I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another TT review on this site, and die happy.
TT probably just sent spcr the sample.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:53 am

Sizzle wrote:
Aris wrote:I was a little upset to see this site even review a TT product.

TT probably just sent spcr the sample.
And for what it's worth it's not that bad of a cooler. It cools just fine, if TT added better slower fan and designed a better mounting system it definitely would have been a very nice cooler.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:28 am

Aris wrote:
As in "you hope they didn't buy it retail", or ?

colm

Re: Pushpins... Just Say No!

Post by colm » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:28 am

fri2219 wrote:Friends don't let friends use pushpins.

Just say no!
the right heatsink does away with that hoax. there are thousands of hours and 66C full load cpus regardless of heatsink still alive with pushpins....
Friends don't let friends blow the cpu fan at the cpu, system, and memory :)

the orb design is bizarre. I am goofy in respect to calling 90% of pc parts hermaphrodital, nothing is in charge, an orb cooler is one of them.

Perpendiculate from the top of cpu, catch what wants to fly and conquer. If you understood my "manly barbarism" you will have a good cooler. The xp90 types are everywhere , and very successful. don't add art to pc integrity.. it just might get ugly.
a dog chasing it's own tail, with a faster tail chaser in the middle. Take your ying yang and Break it.

I am not a fan of the orb cooler....

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:50 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote: And for what it's worth it's not that bad of a cooler. It cools just fine, if TT added better slower fan and designed a better mounting system it definitely would have been a very nice cooler.
It doesnt matter if its good or not. Its TT. Everything they do is a direct rip-off of every other major company. They have nothing original. They leech off other great company's to make a buck. Their buisness ethics are garbage.

This for example, looks amazingly similar to the old Zalman 7000/7700 series with heatpipes.

And its not just the fact that their ethical practices are completely down the tubes. Their products on whole are made cheep, with cheep materials. They have basically no R&D overhead since their just taking everyone else's great idea's, and then they use the absolute bare minimum of manufacturing parts and labor, and then try to pass off their products as competetion for the products their trying to copy.

jammin
Friend of SPCR

Post by jammin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:24 am

Aris wrote: It doesnt matter if its good or not. Its TT. Everything they do is a direct rip-off of every other major company. They have nothing original. They leech off other great company's to make a buck. Their buisness ethics are garbage.

This for example, looks amazingly similar to the old Zalman 7000/7700 series with heatpipes.

And its not just the fact that their ethical practices are completely down the tubes. Their products on whole are made cheep, with cheep materials. They have basically no R&D overhead since their just taking everyone else's great idea's, and then they use the absolute bare minimum of manufacturing parts and labor, and then try to pass off their products as competetion for the products their trying to copy.

While Thermaltake's product range does have a strong wiff of a Far Eastern design department (some strange design decisions, excessive variation), to generalise all of their products as made on the cheap, with cheap materials wouldn't really be accurate.

It is hard to condsider them as major innovators, sure enough, but they do produce products of quality, even if those may be limited to certain lines or product types.
Most of these aren't exactly aimed at the average SPCR reader of course. ;)

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:32 am

Aris wrote:
JazzJackRabbit wrote: And for what it's worth it's not that bad of a cooler. It cools just fine, if TT added better slower fan and designed a better mounting system it definitely would have been a very nice cooler.
It doesnt matter if its good or not. Its TT. Everything they do is a direct rip-off of every other major company. They have nothing original. They leech off other great company's to make a buck. Their buisness ethics are garbage.

That's a fairly bad attitude to have IMO and I used to parrot it a lot. True, TT rips off designs from companies, however they do bring new innovative products to the market. Don't you forget that they were the ones who invented (or at least pushed into masses) radial design with Silver/Golden orbs back at the end of 90's, although it was Zalman that actually made something useful of it, that is something that actually cooled nice and didn't sound like a turbojet (I believe silver/golden orbs had 5K+ fans in them).

Couple of weeks ago I was surprised to see this docking solution from ThermalTake. Sure, it has no place for silencers, but there are certainly moments in my PC building history when I wished I had one of these handy. I assume this docking station will be quite popular among techs who make a living repairing computers.

So at which point do you stop bashing the company and start looking objectively at the product they make? I won't be buying MaxOrb because I prefer tower designs however, I do recognize that sans mounting bracket and loud fan it is actually pretty good for a top-down heatsink. Suppose TT actually comes up with a product that is better than whatever Scythe and TR can come up with, what are you going to do? Are you going to let your old feelings say to you 'no' they've done too many wrongs for me to buy it, or are you going to actually admit that they have made a superior product that is worth buying? So once again I must ask at which point do you stop bashing the company and start looking at the product? I in no way defend TT for their shady design rip-off practices, however if they were to make a product that is better than anything else on the market I think it would be stupid not to consider it.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Couple of weeks ago I was surprised to see this docking solution from ThermalTake. Sure, it has no place for silencers, but there are certainly moments in my PC building history when I wished I had one of these handy. I assume this docking station will be quite popular among techs who make a living repairing computers.
Sorry for this bit of heart breaking news, TT dont make that..............

Sold and branded as:

ThermalTake
Cambridge
Sharkoon
and probably others.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?C=S ... ng+Station

http://www.i4u.com/article16278.html

Andy

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Haha, I suppose I should have known. It would appear that TT is the only company that's bringing device into US though.

I still believe that the product should be evaluated on its own merits. People who bash TT/SilenX have a right to do so because those companies deserved it, but they should be bashing companies, not specific products those companies make.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:56 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:So at which point do you stop bashing the company and start looking objectively at the product they make?
Never. They crossed the line a long time ago, and they are now on my boycot for life list.

Right above EVGA when they failed to replace known faulty video cards that were sold via ebay because they KNEW they were faulty and couldnt be sold in retail, just so they didnt have to fullfill their warrenties on them. So thousands of video cards were sold, that they knew didnt work, through ebay, and they wouldnt replace any of them.

Yea, those sorts of mistakes i never forget, or forgive.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:34 pm

The problem with the MaxOrb is its fan, designed to make the MaxOrb work with really hot CPUs. Most SPCR folk would prefer something a lot quieter. Oddly enough, almost a year ago three threads were posted about replacing the MaxOrb's fan with something quieter:

May 19 2007: Here.

Jun 7 2007: Here.

May 7 2007: Here.