High room temperature concern

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Monolith

High room temperature concern

Post by Monolith » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:47 pm

The temperature of the room my computer will be in could average to about 90°F (32°C) for a good portion of the day (like it did today). With this consistently high ambient temperature, will I have to consider anything differently when it comes to keeping my computer components safely cool, or is this not significant enough to worry about?

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:11 pm

The computer temperature will rise in direct linear proportion to the ambient temperature. So for example, if you have 15 degrees of headroom between what your temperatures are in a 75 degree room and what the safe maximums are, then you are fine at 90 degrees. If you only have 10 degrees of headroom, then you have a problem. Fortunately, it is a linear relationship, so it's easy to make the determination.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:33 pm

Airflow outside the case can be a big factor, especially if you are running with just low speed fans. I've noticed opening the windows often helps PC temps even when it does nothing for room temps, but this is very installation specific.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:59 am

It's not normally a major problem in the UK, sadly, but we occasionally get periods where the thermometer reaches the low to mid thirties for a few days at a time. That's why I like automated fan controls - build in enough ultimate cooling capacity for the worst-case scenario, and then forget about it and let the system throttle the fans down where possible (ie most of the time).

If you have consistently high ambient temps, you might find this of interest: Quiet PC for Torrid Thailand. It's a bit out of date in terms of components, but I'm sure the principles still apply. :)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 am

IMHO.....Many of the setups that I see being built using normal SPCR techniques/pieces, would be quiet and cool at 20C. But bring that setup to St Louis in the summer, and expect it to remain quiet and cool in a house/location with ambient temps over 28C..... normal for this house.... is asking too much. I also have fans that can go 25% or more higher than normal speeds, that are under automatic control. Peace of mind.... :D

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:10 am

A while back (couple years) MikeC did an article on a build he did for a friend in Thailand, which is hot and humid year-round. He used a couple common methods to maximize airflow and make the best use of intake air. The same methods still apply, though equipment now is much better.

See the article here.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:49 am

jhhoffma wrote:A while back (couple years) MikeC did an article on a build he did for a friend in Thailand, which is hot and humid year-round. He used a couple common methods to maximize airflow and make the best use of intake air. The same methods still apply, though equipment now is much better.

See the article here.
Would that one be at all similar to the one I referenced two posts above yours? :P

SilentBen

Post by SilentBen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:03 am

I think I'm on the same boat as you! I just built a P182 based on my thread here. I did a few more mods then listed, which I will add pictures + details later.

I have tried to open up every air intake possible right now and I have very good results! Just from this morning, my ambient room temperature was about 30C and inside my case ranged from 38-40C, front door closed, stock dust filters and modded intake doors all closed. 8)

I have a dual exhaust or intake fan in my window and I think that does wonders!

...although, they make so much noise even on the low setting... it kind of ruins the point of building a silent PC. Maybe I need to find some "silent window fans" :lol: :twisted:

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:25 pm

nick705 wrote:
jhhoffma wrote:A while back (couple years) MikeC did an article on a build he did for a friend in Thailand, which is hot and humid year-round. He used a couple common methods to maximize airflow and make the best use of intake air. The same methods still apply, though equipment now is much better.

See the article here.
Would that one be at all similar to the one I referenced two posts above yours? :P
No, it's a completely different one :P

Give me a break, it was still early for me...

scdr

Post by scdr » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:25 am

Be sure to include the effect of having the machine in your room.
If it is a fairly small room without a lot of airflow, the PC running could boost it even warmer. It gets noticeably warmer in the small computer room here after sitting there with a Pentium III & CRT on for a while. (Room is maybe 6'x6', with a closed door.) Nice in winter, not so in summer.