Help for iMac and Apple Marketing

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Help for iMac and Apple Marketing

Post by thejamppa » Sun May 04, 2008 9:23 am

Hi,

My marketing teacher is huge Apple fan and he gave us home work to end 31st of this month to choose one Apple product and make comprehensive minimum of 5 pages analyse of its marketing using 4P's and such thing.

I bet everyone are taking iPod or iPhone. I think I will take iMac. Now all my sources for apple marketing is more or less limited. I am pretty exhausted after 3 weeks, 8 tests (4 still to go in next 3 days + a oral presentation), 4 essays later I am pretty exhausted. I really wish to give few choice words to my teacher for giving work now, when school ends next wednesday.

I'd be more than grateful for possible reference material about iMac and their marketing. News to news agencies. Anything possible about old and current iMac marketing and anything relevant to them.

I've pretty much exhausted wikipedia so I need more news and source material. I am more than a grateful for any possible help you guys can give me.

Willy Higinbotham

Post by Willy Higinbotham » Sun May 04, 2008 11:53 am

Not specifically for the iMac, but it covers Apple's marketing strategy in general.

http://www.marketingapple.com/marketing_apple/

Link to the ebook

http://www.marketingapple.com/Marketing_Apple_eBook.pdf

Good luck.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun May 04, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks. That m arketing book seems very good ^^. Hey, Apple uses its methods in iMac so its valuable to me.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Tue May 06, 2008 5:40 am

You have to write about an apple product? Why not any product with good marketing. This guy is just trying to evangelise to his students.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Tue May 06, 2008 6:22 am

Heh, I agree. I worked for Apple at the Canadian headquarters in Markham last year and I never bought a single thing with employee discount. The only good thing that ever came out of Apple is their excellent customer service and OS, but i'm a gamer so pc for me. Anyway, I always compared Apple's marketing with a fashion show.

Oh here's a bonus. The Canadian branch (ACI) ships part of their products with UPS. There is a piece of software that UPS distributes for shipping with their service. The catch is, there's no Mac version. People in the shipping department use PC's with the exception of an iMac that runs XP for the sole purpose of shipping with UPS's software.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue May 06, 2008 9:33 am

widowmaker wrote:Oh here's a bonus. The Canadian branch (ACI) ships part of their products with UPS. There is a piece of software that UPS distributes for shipping with their service. The catch is, there's no Mac version. People in the shipping department use PC's with the exception of an iMac that runs XP for the sole purpose of shipping with UPS's software.
Hah! :lol:

And baaad Mr. Teacher for pushing a brand on students... then again most universities and schools require students to use MS Office or Windows for schoolwork. :P

Some Apple-fan lecturer made a good point about Powerpoint having all our presentation courses to itself, but the university PCs only run Windows, so no alternatives. I liked Apple's slideshow more, it had better effects and templates.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue May 06, 2008 11:08 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:Some Apple-fan lecturer made a good point about Powerpoint having all our presentation courses to itself, but the university PCs only run Windows, so no alternatives.
OpenOffice runs on Windows just fine.

Willy Higinbotham

Post by Willy Higinbotham » Tue May 06, 2008 11:58 am

IMHO, Apple's marketing is just phenomenal. All the secrecy about their upcoming products (created by Apple itself, of course) is attracting millions of people to their stores. People are constantly monitoring blogs for the last minute rumors, hands-on reviews, spy pictures etc.

We have to give their due, from an industrial design point of view, Apple products are 'handsome', they look cool, they are becoming instant cult (thanks to designer Jonathan Ive), winning numerous design awards (Red Dot, IF etc).

I like the way Apple is using the internet to spread word of mouth. They have exceled at that and getting better and better with every new launch. Every era has its own marketing instruments and internet speculation is a great and effective one of our time.

No wonder that Apple's advertising budget is almost 1/3 of MS's and 1/4 of HP's.

Way to go.

Willy Higinbotham

Post by Willy Higinbotham » Tue May 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:Hah! :lol:

And baaad Mr. Teacher for pushing a brand on students... then again most universities and schools require students to use MS Office or Windows for schoolwork. :P

Some Apple-fan lecturer made a good point about Powerpoint having all our presentation courses to itself, but the university PCs only run Windows, so no alternatives. I liked Apple's slideshow more, it had better effects and templates.
Funny thing is that even Mr Ballmer (and most of the MS crew) is using Apple for their official presentations. 8)

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue May 06, 2008 12:38 pm

qviri wrote:
Das_Saunamies wrote:Some Apple-fan lecturer made a good point about Powerpoint having all our presentation courses to itself, but the university PCs only run Windows, so no alternatives.
OpenOffice runs on Windows just fine.
Every time someone's used that for coursework or presentations, something has gone wrong. :roll: