Samsung's upcoming S-PVA-based 22" display

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Samsung's upcoming S-PVA-based 22" display

Post by line » Tue May 20, 2008 7:09 am

Ok, this is not directly related to silent computing, but since we're a community that generally strives for better than average hardware I think that people who haven't heard about this model before would like to set their sights on it.

Back on CES, Samsung had a 22" display on exhibiton under the name of 2263PW. This news bit is from March:

http://www.behardware.com/news/9461/tod ... -expo.html

The use of an S-PVA panel in the 22-inch category is fairly novel. As far as I know, no other company beside Eizo has such an offering, and Eizo's S2231W is not perfect, either.

It'll be interesting to see how the 2263PW measures.

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue May 20, 2008 7:34 am

Lenovo has had a 22" S-PVA (1920x1200!) for quite some time now... It's called the L220X.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue May 20, 2008 8:17 am

Nothing new in S-PVA... I am waiting new OLED displays comming...

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue May 20, 2008 9:09 am

Matija wrote:Lenovo has had a 22" S-PVA (1920x1200!) for quite some time now... It's called the L220X.
I like the 22" category because of the relatively big pixel pitch that the native 1680x1050 resolution provides. I know the arguments for higher DPI, but with the current state of software pixel scaling I can't walk into a situation where the operating system's DPI settings would have to be relied upon to make the display usable for desktop apps.

Others may not mind as much, though.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:17 am

Matija wrote:Lenovo has had a 22" S-PVA (1920x1200!) for quite some time now... It's called the L220X.
AFAIK it uses a Samsung panel. Found that out when I was digging around for a new monitor.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm waiting a year or so until OLED takes over everything.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:20 am

waiting a few years more than that.

People should try a type of monitor like I use. IPS. I use the Planar 2611W. People say its a lot of cash to spend on monitor. I say buy it once and never worry for 4-5 years.

IPS is sick for anything. pva is humdrum and the colors are terrible. contrasts are severe on most PVA screens so that it gets a super punchy contrast that has nothing to do with the original media, it just sells it in a store. The day someone who is in the market for a pva finds an OLED that's affordable /in similar price range, that day is a long long way off.

PVA screens are pretty nice in general, especially for the dollar value. I just try and direct people to an IPS screen as all of the clarity oddities and colour inaccuracies go away when you do IPS.

If you have 800-1200 to spend you can be permanently pleased with IPS. mine has the less than 1 frame of lag too which, so far, no pva is made to do. Most IPS screens have a bit of lag more than this. Apple cinema screens use IPS. they look kinda nice :)

I would guess the 22 inch samsung isnt 1920x1200? If it is, the text would be SUPER small. If it isnt, it can't do true HD. I don't see the market for sub 24" displays as something that should be considered being that the standard is for 1080p. 22 inch lenovo does 1920x1200? Jeez thats ultra miniscule text. Increasing the font sizes for websites and windows generally looks terrible although is functional. my 25.5" screen has pretty small text at 1920x1200... i cant imagine 22". It probably looks really clear though for movie watching with such tight pixel density.

Terje

Post by Terje » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:50 pm

But then you got the "famous" multicolored sparkle issue from many IPS screens and some of the supposed advantages of IPS like better viewing angle is not always better than PVA (I have seen IPS screens with horrible viewing angles as well).

Many people on the net claims PVA has horrible colors, but still EIZO, which without doubt are one of the leaders in terms of correct colors seems to swear to PVA and most EIZO screens actually look dull when put next to the latest generation IPS monitors as PVA panels they use for instance has less contrast (in the name of correct colors).

Dells latest 30" monitor uses IPS on the other side, but has been literally flogged in reviews for having bad colors (not well calibrated out of the box).

I think there is a lot of paper theory out there on the advantages of IPS vs. PVA. My experience most certainly does not agree with a lot of the stuff people write, and in the end, the actual implementation by the monitor vendor seems at least as important as the panel technology.

Personally, I think IPS screens looks great at first look, but my eyes prefer a quality PVA panel for actual long term work. My eyes just do no like the grainy sparkly look of most IPS panels. Some IPS panels gives me headache in less than 15 minutes of work. I have never experienced that with PVA, but then again, some IPS screens I can work with.

Bottom line... there are great PVA screens out there and there are great IPS screens. It really boils down to each monitor model rather than the panel it uses. If you can, see the screen in a shop where you can compare it to other screens before you buy. Your eyes should eventually decide.

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:14 am

I personally am looking forward to the Samsung 22"... I happen to find 1920x1200 on 24" to be a bit too coarse, so doing 1920x1200 on 22" should be just about right.

YMMV, of course. :)

The Lenovo L220X is pretty damned good, but I'm holding off til more competition arrives (preferably IPS or *VA)...

Terje

Post by Terje » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:29 am

Terje wrote:Personally, I think IPS screens looks great at first look, but my eyes prefer a quality PVA panel for actual long term work. My eyes just do no like the grainy sparkly look of most IPS panels. Some IPS panels gives me headache in less than 15 minutes of work. I have never experienced that with PVA, but then again, some IPS screens I can work with.
And of course, today I found a NEC H-IPS screen that proved me wrong.

The NEC 2690WUXi has is as good as any PVA screen I have seen in terms of lack of multicolored sparkling or silverish whites.

Its bloody expensive though and the power supply hums a bit.

DonQ

Font size in Windows

Post by DonQ » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:31 pm

I just bought a Dell 24" LCD and I gotta tell you one thing: Windows XP (and earlier, I don't know about Vista) is completely "retarted" when it comes to font size.

In Linux if I choose to go 800x600 or 1920x1200 the font size can stay pretty much the same (although I can change the font size in different parts of the screen, like menus, desktop, etc., if I want) but windows and pictures will get smaller/larger. Not so with Windows, at 1920x1200 they are too small at 800x600 they are too big.

I don't care too much, I guess, because I mostly use Winders for games but, Windows can really look primitive and stupid sometimes.

Terje

Post by Terje » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:30 pm

I am not entirely sure what you try to do here.

Are you changing the resolution of the screen and you want the fonts to be the same size?

Or are you thinking about difference in font size between two monitors with different resolutions?

The important part there is really the DPI setting.
Fonts are traditionally based on point sizes and the size of one point is given by the DPI setting.

The DPI setting in windows XP is set somewhere in the advanced settings under display settings (monitor tab I think).

Dont have an XP system here right now, but from memory, if you go into display settings and advanced.

Correct settings there might help give a small 800x600 monitor get the same letter size as a 24 inch monitor, but I don't think any OS does this stuff very well yet although apple rumours keeps on talking about device independent resolutions and stuff like that which should optimize rendering for each device.

If you are talking about different character sizes on the same display, then I guess that is not just about the OS but also different ways to handle scaling (to fill the screen) in the gfx card and monitor.

DonQ

Post by DonQ » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:23 am

Terje wrote:I am not entirely sure what you try to do here.

Are you changing the resolution of the screen and you want the fonts to be the same size?

Or are you thinking about difference in font size between two monitors with different resolutions?

The important part there is really the DPI setting.
Fonts are traditionally based on point sizes and the size of one point is given by the DPI setting.

The DPI setting in windows XP is set somewhere in the advanced settings under display settings (monitor tab I think).

Dont have an XP system here right now, but from memory, if you go into display settings and advanced.

Correct settings there might help give a small 800x600 monitor get the same letter size as a 24 inch monitor, but I don't think any OS does this stuff very well yet although apple rumours keeps on talking about device independent resolutions and stuff like that which should optimize rendering for each device.

If you are talking about different character sizes on the same display, then I guess that is not just about the OS but also different ways to handle scaling (to fill the screen) in the gfx card and monitor.
Like I said I have my monitor at 1920x1200 and Windows fonts are too small by default, so yes, I can make them bigger but look at the control I have in Linux: Image.
Where this amount of control in Windows would come in handy is that I work in tech support and one of the applications that we support only runs at a minimum of 1024x768 (otherwise some buttons are inacccessible, huh huh) but some of our users think that the fonts are too small but if we make them bigger, at least one other application "freaks out" and ends up missing characters because the fonts are too big in at least one place, some menus for one.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:05 am

Good news. HP has stepped forward and launched a 22-inch monitor which is too based on the same panel as the Eizo S2231W and Samsung 2263PW.

The model is LP2275w.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm ... 48453.html

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/PDF/4AA2-0282EEE.pdf (spec. sheet)

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:57 pm

HP are also releasing the LP2475w, a non-professional 24" monitor with S-IPS panel. However, the monitor specifications does not match any known S-IPS panels and the specs that HP lists are more in line with S-PVA panels.

Some retailers had both these HP monitors listed in the beginning of July. And yesterday the listed prices were lowered quite a bit which may indicate that both models soon will be available.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:50 am

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:08 pm

Still no sign of the 2263PW... $*@#@! It's been what, 7 months?

I'm hoping it's at least as good as the L220X and doesn't have the odd text problem the L220X has.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:17 am

In December there will be yet another 22'' S-PVA monitor available, the P221W from NEC. This one has a 10-bit internal LUT.