Thermalright HR-01 Plus, 90degree rotation on 775?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stevek

Thermalright HR-01 Plus, 90degree rotation on 775?

Post by stevek » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Can this cooler be rotated 90degrees on socket 775 or is it fixed to one particular orientation?

To clarify what I mean..... can it be installed in an up/down configuration (eg PSU fan above drawing the air through) and also front/back configuration (eg rear 120mm case fan drawing air through)

The reason being i'm more interested in fanless operation with a vent above the CPU cooler; making use of convection up through the case and out the top. If the cooler could only mount front/back as a lot of people use it would be useless in my intended use.

Hope that made scence because it was difficult to describe!

Cheers
-Steve-

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:14 am

SI 128 SE I am using uses exactly the same attachment method: It is possible to rotate cooler in LGA775. Assuming motherboard hasn't socket area ramped with tall caps or heatpipes or northbridge. Which are pretty rare near socket area these days.

LuckyNV

Post by LuckyNV » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:15 am

LGA775 holes are positioned in a square so they can rotated 90 degrees without problem.

The only problem you might have is using RAM modules with very tall heatsinks fitted.

but otherwise the heatsink may over hang the RAM slots, but you can still fit and remove modules, might just be a bit trickier that's all.

TheAtomicKid

Post by TheAtomicKid » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:18 pm

Recent experience proves that it's no good with the generic 780i boards from evga/bfg, etc. There's enough constriction near the socket area from caps, etc, that you can't mount the default hardware flush... perhaps with some kind of adapter. It mounts just fine in the normal direction though.

Quite irritated, actually, since I'm planning to move my new system to an antec 300, and was hoping to rotate it so the top fan can suck air through it. It will still cool, of course, but not as well as if I could manage the rotation.

May end up not being an issue though, considering a replacement board anyways.

Oh yeah, word. If you ever intend to remove a thermalright backplate, do NOT peel the sticky off the adhesive. I may have damaged my board getting mine loose. The HR01 plus didn't seem to want to mount smoothly with the backplate kit I had installed to bolt-thru a minja I had on previously. Unfortunately, other troubles have prevented me from booting the board to check in the meantime.

Whatever they use on those suckers, I'm betting you could use it to fix the space shuttle :D

Atomic