Serious Eye Candy

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sooty

Serious Eye Candy

Post by Sooty » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:15 pm

A cut above your average modding:

Loads more here: http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/
Last edited by Sooty on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elvellon

Post by Elvellon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:29 pm

Yeah, everything liquid cooled and three tiny whiny fans on RAM... :?
Last edited by Elvellon on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:02 am

I can understand how people might get this creative with a car or a house or something else that's at least a little bit timeless. But a computer? It's hard to defend all the work and effort when progress will render the whole thing obsolete in a couple of years tops.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:04 am

:roll: You guys just sooooo don't get it. It's all about the purdy blue lights. They make everything faster and soak up any teeny whiny fan noise, converting it into beautiful, relaxing whalesong. See? Look at the purdy liiiights.

But there are some seriously nice looking systems on that site. Almost nice enough to turn a boy to the dark side.

EDIT: This is much more like it! Looks the business and clearly built with silence in mind.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:28 am

Vicotnik wrote:I can understand how people might get this creative with a car or a house or something else that's at least a little bit timeless. But a computer? It's hard to defend all the work and effort when progress will render the whole thing obsolete in a couple of years tops.
have you seen slippery skip's designs? i would put a picture of them in the dictionary next to the word "timeless"
http://www.slipperyskip.com/

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:36 am

blackworx wrote:
EDIT: This is much more like it! Looks the business and clearly built with silence in mind.
Now that IS something we can get behind! A wonderful looking system that is is probably very quiet even by SPCR standards!

Elvellon

Post by Elvellon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 am

Now those from two links are better! :)

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:26 am

mr. poopyhead wrote:have you seen slippery skip's designs? i would put a picture of them in the dictionary next to the word "timeless"
http://www.slipperyskip.com/
Those were nice, and yes, timeless. :)

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:24 pm

Well, a true case mod is not about fancy lights (to be honoust, at first I thought it was...), or hardware, or noise.
It's about the case (or other hardware), making it unique (if possible, even from scratch) and the process getting there.

A good case mod is pure craftsmanship.
The guy who made Dark Blade has put so many hours into his project (like more case modders ofcourse) and the process is just lovely. Some parts make no sense at first, until you see what it is actually used for.

Dark Blade log - extremely long, but I loved it while I watched it some time ago.

Another modding project (not on Million-dollar-pc though - it's not a pc), I think this one is really great - maybe not very practical but very detailed and unique: steampunk mouse.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:00 pm

I've followed Dark Blade from the beginning, but I have to say that imho the end result is a bit cheesy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

The resources that guy has available to him are just stupendous, and some of the touches (e.g. the impellers) are really nice, but in the end I'm afraid to say it just looks, um, silly. Especially for the amount of effort that went into it.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:10 pm

Blue Lights again... What is this... COnsipiracy!! Everywhere is blue lights andn othing but blue lights... Where are the Amber coloured lights?!

yefi

Post by yefi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:00 pm

spookmineer wrote:It's about the case (or other hardware), making it unique (if possible, even from scratch) and the process getting there.
Sounds a lot like the reasons people give for getting tattoos, which is another waste of a person's time.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm

That lian li build is effing hot.. *drool*

walle

Post by walle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:30 pm

Its about creating something, the creative process which is important, expressing oneself if you will, something unique; be it a car, motor cycle or computer matters not.

Creating something and expressing yourself is not a waste of time, that’s what’s life is all about…living! Not sitting in front of the stupefying brainwashing television box watching all them mindless robotic programs (which most humans do), either creating something or spend time out in nature.

Then again; I’m currently typing in this forum whilst sitting inside in front of my computer so…

:roll:

Added:
Yes, some very nice creations on that page indeed.

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:51 pm

I think all links have computers that look good, and you can clearly see that people have worked hard to make them look good.
But, I'm not one of them who really likes to have a computer visible in my home. Let's go offtopic! :twisted:

Piling up a modded ATX case, washing-machine-sized HP printers and Altec Lansing computer speakers with a subwoofer
next to your feet on a computer desk with no space for your legs in the living room
is not my thing.
I'm completely clueless to why it's so important to have absolutely no leg room.
These modern electronic altars are completely awful if you're asking me.
Even if you use it for your work at home, why does it have to look like a crammed office?
Does that make you more productive? I thought most people hated offices.
I'm not talking about people who can't afford a larger home.

End of rant. :wink:

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:47 am

That's what my desk setup looks like at home. I bought the desk and drawers last year for about $300 total, and I've loved them very much ever since. The only really messy part of my workspace is the shelving above the desk, but that goes through cycles of clean-cluttered-messy-toomessy. :P

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:50 am

Hehe, well it's just a matter of taste I guess. :D Looks like IKEA?
I consider myself lucky because I only need one laptop with no extra displays.
I think that the more computer stuff I have, the more time will I spend with it,
instead of doing things I really appreciate in life.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:17 am

I hear ya Mats. Those things are teh absolute suck.

I moonlight doing pc repairs and I'd say a good 90% of folks' systems, along with their printer, half a ton of other junk, folders and loose paper, are mounted on these unstable monstrosities. Even a simple thing like getting round the back to play with connectors is like a back-breaking game of giant Jenga.

No wonder people don't like computers when they associate them with being perched on the edge of a crap chair in front of a teetering "desk" that wobbles every time they breathe, cracking their kneecaps every couple of seconds :lol:

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:39 am

blackworx wrote:I hear ya Mats. Those things are teh absolute suck.

I moonlight doing pc repairs and I'd say a good 90% of folks' systems, along with their printer, half a ton of other junk, folders and loose paper, are mounted on these unstable monstrosities. Even a simple thing like getting round the back to play with connectors is like a back-breaking game of giant Jenga.

No wonder people don't like computers when they associate them with being perched on the edge of a crap chair in front of a teetering "desk" that wobbles every time they breathe, cracking their kneecaps every couple of seconds :lol:
LOL!!
Yeah, those people never seems to question if they really need that Logitech ∞.1 Creative Hi-Fi speaker system or that shiny computer desk. The desk must:

A - be made of sheet metal.
B - rattle
C - have no leg room
D - have a design that looks completely different to any other furniture in a home, maybe look like a sheet metal brake.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:15 am

It is IKEA, but as you can see, the panels are about 4cm thick. It's a very sturdy setup. A similar build from other stores would have easily cost more than double what I paid. I also have the added advantage of the two drawers and the desk fitting pretty much perfectly into the alcove that I have. :)

I have the tri-monitors since I actually use them for the coding work that I do. I'll usually spend my working hours on the computer, and then try to do other things with family and friends (unless I'm doing PC repairs like blackworx - my secondary job).

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:18 am

That table looks good imo, maybe just because it's a regular table and not what I just described.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:07 am

That's a MIKAEL, current price £39... :wink:

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:38 am

Ikea ftw!

Here's my galant setup;

Antec P182 and a Stacker under the desk, lots of leg room... :)

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:03 am

^ My small desk, in my small apartment.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 am

spookmineer wrote:Dark Blade log - extremely long, but I loved it while I watched it some time ago.
I really wish Projects were held in restricted areas, with separate comments threads!

Skipping forwards to page 90-something... Nice design, but not for me. I could probably make something nice and subtle, and quiet, if I had those resources, but then I'm just a lowly programmer!

yefi

Post by yefi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:14 am

walle wrote:Its about creating something, the creative process which is important, expressing oneself if you will, something unique; be it a car, motor cycle or computer matters not.

Creating something and expressing yourself is not a waste of time, that’s what’s life is all about…living!
You could call knitting a creative process, but it wouldn't change my mind for it to be a waste of a person's time to knit. (And I wouldn't care how much vital force such persons derive from such hand-made sweaters.)

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:15 am

Wibla wrote:Ikea ftw!
Hehe I have the same Ikea desk but darker - bought it for twenty quid - charity shops ftw!

Nice 'speakers btw - are they dual concentrics? I have a pair of Reveal 5A's. Not so nice as yours but I love 'em :wink:

Gratuitous pic 'cos it gave me the chance to try out my new tripod and crazy wideangle lens - my computer room is v.narrow!

walle

Post by walle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:23 am

yefi wrote:You could call knitting a creative process, but it wouldn't change my mind for it to be a waste of a person's time to knit. (And I wouldn't care how much vital force such persons derive from such hand-made sweaters.)
No offence but you didn't get the point, but that’s alright.

:)

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:34 am

blackworx wrote:
Wibla wrote:Ikea ftw!
Hehe I have the same Ikea desk but darker - bought it for twenty quid - charity shops ftw!

Nice 'speakers btw - are they dual concentrics? I have a pair of Reveal 5A's. Not so nice as yours but I love 'em :wink:

Gratuitous pic 'cos it gave me the chance to try out my new tripod and crazy wideangle lens - my computer room is v.narrow!
Yeah, they're dual concentrics, I love em, they're not very expensive used anymore, but they're not exactly small either...

SPCR logo on the tannoy's? sacriliege!
What amplifier do you use on the tannoy's? In my experience they need some power to really shine...

Edit: btw, whats the camera and lens you're using? im a photographer, always curious :)

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Wibla wrote:SPCR logo on the tannoy's? sacriliege!
:lol: Well, it is a SPea'C'eR (sorry)
What amplifier do you use on the tannoy's? In my experience they need some power to really shine...
They're active monitors, with balanced feeds from the grey Sony DAC. The little box on top of the CD is a passive volume control. I can't remember off the top of my head what sort of power the amps produce, but I do know there's masses of headroom. I always chicken out before they even break sweat.
Edit: btw, whats the camera and lens you're using? im a photographer, always curious :)
It's a Minolta Dynax 7D, with a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 (@ 10mm/f13 for that shot). It's a nice lens, if a bit blurry at both ends of the zoom range but I guess that's normal. Sadly I've not been taking many pictures of late. How about yourself?