CPU HSF Ducts

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ScruffyDogg

CPU HSF Ducts

Post by ScruffyDogg » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 pm

Similar the the ThermalRight HR-01 Plus that can be ordered,... are there any other commercially made ducts out there? Has anyone used the Thermalright one with other HSF combos and if so, what experience have you had with that?

QuietOC

Re: CPU HSF Ducts

Post by QuietOC » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:49 pm

ScruffyDogg wrote:Similar the the ThermalRight HR-01 Plus that can be ordered,... are there any other commercially made ducts out there? Has anyone used the Thermalright one with other HSF combos and if so, what experience have you had with that?
Why? A cut piece of cardboard works better (good sound damping) and costs nothing. White cardboard from a Priority Mail box looks nice.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:38 am

Hardcore SPCRs use smoked acrylic!!! :P

Just kidding, I have some foam-core posterboard that works well as long as you have a VERY sharp knife.

ScruffyDogg

I am looking for better alternative

Post by ScruffyDogg » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Than cut cardboard, I have done some homemade ones,... but I want to see what is commercially available and if anyone had experience with the Thermalright HR-01 plus.

Why is it that when you ask a question on a forum everyone jumps in with their 2 cents like they are the ultimate expert, but will not address the question asked?

jhhoffma

Re: I am looking for better alternative

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:32 pm

ScruffyDogg wrote:Why is it that when you ask a question on a forum everyone jumps in with their 2 cents like they are the ultimate expert, but will not address the question asked?
It's usually called "help", where if someone doesn't know the answer, but still tries to point you toward other alternatives you may not have thought of.

Since you didn't say before that you had made your own people have to assume one way or another. Usually, people only want premade ones because they lack the knowhow to make their own.

Forgive us, ScruffyDogg, of the high-and-mighty and easily-offended know-it-alls. We throw ourselves upon your mercy...

If you're lucky, someone else might be gracious enough to answer your question, but I wouldn't count on it, since 7 posts in you decide to insult a long standing member.

ScruffyDogg

Post by ScruffyDogg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:05 pm

and why would I need to say I have made my own, when it had nothing to do with the original question? There is a reason why I said "commercially" in the question. If people read the question, it would be easy to ignore it if you did not know the answer, or if you did,... to answer the original question.

If I had stated how do you make your own duct for a heatsink fan,... would an appropriate answer be,... go buy this one from such and such??? I thought not.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:36 pm

it's the same function regardless of whether you buy it or make it. The opinions expressed above amount to "buy one if you want, but it's easy to make a better one".

You've entered a world where people are happy to meddle with their own machines, and having spent plenty on fancy heatsinks and cases, budget ducting and suspension will be just the ticket.

ScruffyDogg

Post by ScruffyDogg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:30 pm

but why spend soo much on a fancy heatsink and fan and budget other stuff??? That would be a good question,... I am in for best bang for the buck and wouldn't spend much on a HSF typically as a Xigmatek S1283 will perform on par with a Thermalright TRUE for half the price for instance,... or the e7200 when it came out was similar in price to the 4600, yet could be overclocked on stock intel HSF and get better performance,... etc etc etc.

My main machine for instance is overclocked 25% on stock intel HSF, with fan running on low and case fan on low with no heat issues,...

I have created my own ducts at times,.. for instance a case of dvds,... 50 bundle or 100 has a nice clear plastic round part that if you cut off the end,.. works nice with a 120 case fan and extends right to where you want for a tower HSF,...

I asked a specific question for a specific reason,.. when I build systems for some people,... they don't want to see a piece of cardboard as a duct for instance,.... that and after my research I found only the one duct from thermalright,... two interesting ones as well, but they have been discontinued.

I didn't think I had insulted anyone directly (unlike the direct insult I was given). I just wonder why in forums,.. happens here, anandtech and madshrimps as well, where a question is asked and often the answers are off the wall, such as. "I don't know about that, but yadda yadda" or "I can't answer the question but,..." which makes me wonder why people reply if they even start off with an answer that they don't know the answer,...

some people will point to # of posts as long standing and must know things,.. my post #'s will always be low on all sites since I create a new login every few months and don't answer every single post with something that doesn't answer the question posed. I will post if I have direct information that would provide useful.

I did probably reply with more attitude than I should have, but I hate having to specifically spell out to reply only with direct knowledge of the specific question asked when that is all I want and it probably comes from the Anandtech forums more so, (even though it is one of the best) since there you get half the people regurgitating what they heard from another forum with no direct knowledge or understanding of the matter at hand.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:43 am

Hi ScruffyDogg,
please don't hit me, I'm just trying to help ;)
And I read your question ? Are you proud of me ? ;) (just teasing you)

Check those out :
http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/fanduc.html
http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_pc-l ... 04_fr.html

For a semi-commercial solution you can get some of that aluminum duct for fireplace exhausts at the hardware store ; I vaguely remember some a long time ago that was exactly 80mm.... It's a bit small but it's possible there is some with a larger diameter. It's not really meant for computers but at least you can choose the lenght and bend of the product. And it can look professional I think... just shiny 8)

Hope that helps you.

ScruffyDogg

Post by ScruffyDogg » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:35 pm

:shock: Very nice links,... and the idea of the hardware store is a good one too as I found something that was discontinued for computers, but looked kinda reminded me of flexible Air Conditioning ducting,...

You helped a lot,... and the sarcastic start was priceless!!! :)
Thanks!

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:03 pm

It's metallic so one needs to be careful about unintended contacts but the flexible ducting for clothes dryers is about 150mm and works well in many situations.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:54 pm

Check this one - http://www.dansdata.com/badong.htm
and their home page - http://www.badong.co.kr/

ScruffyDogg

Post by ScruffyDogg » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:54 pm

another awesome link that I very much appreciate,... the red duct goes with one system build a friend wants with red G.Skill Ram and red LEDs,...

I love cheap do it yourself stuff for much of my stuff,... I love saving $$$ and having the same performance that my friends will spend mucho deniro needlessly on.

However, for bling systems that are not mine,... these last few posts have been exactly what I was looking for and knew that there had to be something I was having a tough time finding online.
Thanks again!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

drjunk

Post by drjunk » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:12 pm

I dont know why more manufacters dont sell heatsink and duct packages like the hr-01 plus.
Id say a heatsink and duct setup is the best balance between noise and temp.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:57 pm

I dont know why more manufacters dont sell heatsink and duct packages like the hr-01 plus.
I have a duct for my HR01 and will likely give it a try eventually. But I don't think I'd use it in a case with only one exhaust fan. Ducts work best when there is a second exit for hot air.

A single ducted exhaust point would mean pulling all the hot air through the CPU heatsink in order to exit the machine.

Not only would that degrade the cooling for the CPU, but would elevate the temperature inside the case, and thus the motherboard components by restricting the exiting airflow from those portions of the system.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:18 am

pony-tail wrote:Check this one - http://www.dansdata.com/badong.htm
and their home page - http://www.badong.co.kr/
I've tried this one - blue variant 8)

I used it to take air in directly from the outside. It was on a socket A based system, Sempron 2800+. I found it didnt do mu much for CPU cooling, but noise was increased. I guess the air resistance in the flex tube is quite high. It looked nice tough.

drjunk

Post by drjunk » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:34 am

NyteOwl wrote:
I have a duct for my HR01 and will likely give it a try eventually. But I don't think I'd use it in a case with only one exhaust fan. Ducts work best when there is a second exit for hot air.

A single ducted exhaust point would mean pulling all the hot air through the CPU heatsink in order to exit the machine.

Not only would that degrade the cooling for the CPU, but would elevate the temperature inside the case, and thus the motherboard components by restricting the exiting airflow from those portions of the system.
I have a thermaltake armor case. Im planning to reduce the number of fans in the case, which are 10 in total. So ive just purchased the optonal door with fan, and if i get a good hs and duct setup, then i plan to remove my:

2 120mm front intake fans
1 90mm roof exhaust fan
1 90mm rear exhaust fan
1 90mm cpu heatsink fan
1 40mm chipset fan

The only fans left would be:

1 250mm side panel intake Fan
1 120mm rear exhaust fan (ducted to cpu hs)
1 120mm psu exhaust fan
1 80mm fan for gfx card

A big part of the roof on the armor case is open mesh, so i dont think the hot air will be hanging around for long.