Thermalright SI-97. What to do with it?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ckang008

Thermalright SI-97. What to do with it?

Post by ckang008 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:20 pm

I have an extra Thermalright SI-97 from the Socket A era lying around unused. Currently I have only one desktop (4850e/Gigabyte 780G/ no vid card) which has a Xigmatek HDT-S1284C installed. The only thing I can think of that requires the use of this SI-97 heatsink is for a new vid card (which probably not going to get) or for the chipset(as the Gigabyte heatsink looks tiny). The only way I can think of getting that heatsink onto the chipset is to use Arctic silver epoxy (the type that sticks heatsink onto the chipset). I was wondering if the epoxy will have enough strength to hold the SI-97 heatsink. Anyone tried something like this before. Will like to get some feedback.

Thanks

tuz

Post by tuz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:30 am

Hmmmm, I don't know how well the epoxy holds, but even if it holds well it will put a lot less pressure between the HS/GPU compared to a proper mounting mechanism, which will result in higher temps than potentially possibly with that cooler. Also the heatsink itself is light (without the fan its 280g I think?) but still I'd be wary if ever transporting the case around.

I did a quick search and found this page, not sure if you've seen it yet but this guy modded his 9800 pro using bolts to secure the SI-97 to the GPU, looks a bit ghetto but it seemed to work really well.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 am

... or you could sell it. There are many peoples still using Socket-A computers...