Lipstick on a Pit Bull

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:00 pm

"The Delaware senator and his wife, Jill, showed annual earnings of more than $200,000 and sometimes $300,000 between 1998 and 2007. And they gave relatively very little of it away. In 2007, their most generous year, the Bidens gave $995 to charity. In 1999, their charitable donations added up to $120."
Any references to this besides the math of Arthur Anderson?

Maybe this is why, i.e. he needs to pay what he ows first, like someone who's fiscally responsible?
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/bidendebt.asp

Frankly my concern is that he has no convictions, indictments, or sealed documents down at the court house.

I really enjoyed this one though:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/iacocca.asp

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:35 pm

A candidate is not personally responsible for campaign debts. Anyone who performs services for a political campaign knows there is chance they won't get paid, which is why some demand cash up front.

In any case, Biden’s recent campaign debt has nothing to do with his 1999 charitable contributions of $120.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:15 pm

In the grander scheme of things your point is pretty pointless.
And thanks for your references too.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/iacocca.asp

We now return to the pro-lifer that's had more than 600,000 people killed.

:shock:

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:27 pm

I am sure if you try Google, you can find out everything you need to know about Biden's charitable contributions. His tax returns were recently released, and it is all fairly current news.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm

You posted it, your point, your responsibility.

Its not on Snopes, maybe over on RNC.com

And as usual the really significant parts of the post you just casually ignore. Your may not be a F/T republican, but they sure are your mentors.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:57 pm

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/? ... BhODQwMDg=

Oh look at the part you conveniently didn't mention:
What Biden’s tax returns do not show are the hundreds of hours per year that are donated to charity. I am familiar with how generous the Bidens are with their time. The Senator and Dr. Jill Biden routinely show up and/or host formal and informal events for the homeless, military families, breast cancer education and educational scholarships. Jill Biden, a teacher, organized a book drive for the school libraries damaged by Katrina. Then Jill personally went with the truck to deliver the books. She is now rallying the community to help donate books to a local inner-city day care center.
Your objectivity in politics leaves a lot to be desired, regardless of what you think it is.

The blogs get better over here:

http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/ ... ritab.html
Hey Flyover. Why doesn't Palin release her taxes?

Could it be b/c she has claimed thousands of dollars in expenses? Could it be that Palin is cheating the USA out of YOUR & MY MONEY, if this is true.

From the uber-Liberal Wall Street Journal:
she claimed about $43,000 in travel expenses for family members who accompanied her on official trips and billed taxpayers for about $17,000 in per-diem travel fees for herself, though she spent much of that time at her home. Under Internal Revenue Service rules, such payments would likely be considered taxable income.
Hmm?
Attempting to discern personal generosity from tax forms for use as a political weapon is disgusting and beyond the pale. That Byron Yorke is inherently a dishonorable person comes as no surprise. That Hotline finds it acceptable is disappointing.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 am

xan_user wrote:
blackworx wrote:Apparently her Yahoo email account has been "hacked" by Anonymous. Strangely, she appears to have been using it for her work.

The dirty is here: http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin_Y ... _hack_2008 (unsurprisingly it doesn't appear to be working right now)
for anyone interested this is still up here...for how long?

http://gawker.com/5051193/sarah-palins-personal-emails
Looks like they left a trail of breadcrumbs

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:21 am

Hello,

Did Sarah Palin attend conferences for the Alsakan Independence Party? Her husband Todd did. Did they ever contribute to the AIP?

These people want Alaska to secede from the USA, among other things. Maybe they think that Puerto Rico or Northern Mariana Islands etc., have a better deal?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Is it possible to be honest, not owing any people any "favors", and becoming president? Frankly, it doesn't seem possible.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:13 pm

The latest from the Sarah Barracuda soap opera doesn't do her any favors. Her latest reason for firing her public safety chief was 'insubordination' for making a trip to DC to lobby for funds for an anti-rape program (Alaska has the highest number of forced rapes in the country). I'm sure she thought this was a very clever reason/excuse for her actions. It plays to the anti-earmark hooey she crows about, except for one thing - her chief of staff approved the trip. Oopsies.

That Palin wanted her ex brother-in-law fired is no big deal. That she fired a third party for refusing to violate the law in carrying out her vendetta is beyond the pale. Her 'governing' history suggests she governs from a cult of personality rather than the body of law. Haven't we had enough of that these last 8 years?

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story ... 710&page=1

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:14 pm

I wonder why M0002a can only see democratic mistakes. Who ever heard of partisan objectivity?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:53 am

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... ?track=rss

So... Palin believes dinosaurs and men walked the earth 6000 years ago. It's really scary to think a full-fledged creationist will be controlling nuclear codes in few years.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:24 am

Hiya,

Who else is going to watch the debate tomorrow evening?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:43 am

maybe, im not one for watching a train wreck usually tho.
Even if it is an attractive train.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Erssa wrote:http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... ?track=rss

So... Palin believes dinosaurs and men walked the earth 6000 years ago. It's really scary to think a full-fledged creationist will be controlling nuclear codes in few years.
More likely it's a lie to get more votes.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:44 pm

aristide1 wrote: More likely it's a lie to get more votes.
Palin was raised in a evangelical church, but she changed to a more mainstream church (where it is not required to believe the earth is only 6000 years old), so not very many people actually know what she believes now. I am not sure when she changed, but it was not recently.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:32 pm

And carbon dating 101 was not even offered as a class.

I like my world, it has books.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Geez Ralf, you should do work awful fast. 8)

Fraud Examination, W. Steve Albrecht
Business Ethics, Al Gini (The class W got an "A" in, yeah right.)
Profit Without Honor, Rosoff, Pontell, Tillman

and the book that can not be comprehended by any neocon

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey

(This book deals with the concept of interdependence, and how it extends way beyond independence in our lives. Might even be a real world explanation of karma.)

Good luck finding anyone saying anything positive about this adminstration in a criminal justice program, even though all the profs tend to be old rich white conservatives.

See when I said my world has books, well those written by Ann Coulter don't have more ethics than those written by Michael Moore. But if we combine the two we may get the correct percentage of body fat. :shock:

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:36 pm

aristide1 wrote:...and the book that can not be comprehended by any republican

(This book deals with the concept of interdependence, and how it extends way beyond independence in our lives. Might even be a real world explanation of karma.)
I would bet a lot of money that more Republicans bought and read it than Democrats. That book has been a staple of corporate America and you can find on the bookshelves in many corporate offices (usually the most superficial sales and bull-shit types in my experience). [OMG, you really are ignorant of corporate America].

Personally, I prefer the works of Dilbert author Scott Adams. I am the proud owner of several of his books, including Seven Years of Highly Defective People.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:40 pm

m0002a wrote:
aristide1 wrote:...and the book that can not be comprehended by any republican

I would bet a lot of money that more Republicans bought and read it than Democrats. That book has been a staple of corporate America and you can find on the bookshelves in many corporate offices (usually the most superficial sales and bull-shit types in my experience). [OMG, you really are ignorant of corporate America].

Personally, I prefer the works of Dilbert author Scott Adams. I am the proud owner of several of his books, including Seven Years of Highly Defective People.
You should read Profit Without Honor, if you believe that corporate America actually practices what 7 Habits preaches. That would wipe the rose color off your glasses. Business Ethics also deals with the exceptions, try that for another dose of reality.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:03 pm

aristide1 wrote:You should read Profit Without Honor, if you believe that corporate America actually practices what 7 Habits preaches. That would wipe the rose color off your glasses. Business Ethics also deals with the exceptions, try that for another dose of reality.
Believe me, I don't have any illusions about ethics in the business world, or in the academic world for that matter. And there is far more corruption in government-run economies than where free markets exist. I just like the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and until someone does something illegal, I don't propose advocating that they be impeached or put in jail.

If the laws are not sufficient in some areas, then fine, change the laws and then prosecute them for future transgressions. But we live in a democracy, and you will have to get a majority (sometimes more than a majority) if you want to change the laws.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:20 am

aristide1 wrote:Geez Ralf, you should do work awful fast. 8)
Huh?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:47 am

Both my dad and my daughter's teacher mentioned this when talking about the debate last week...

Remember from the lion king?

Adult Simba: I know what I have to do. But going back will mean facing my past. I've been running from it for so long.
[Rafiki hits Simba on the head with his stick]
Adult Simba: Ow! Jeez, what was that for?
Rafiki: It doesn't matter. It's in the past.

http://www.lionking.org/sounds/WAV/ItsInThePast.wav

What kind of mother misses that movie?

NeilBlanchard

Palin abused her power

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi,

Sarah Palin abused her power:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=95627291
Sarah Palin unlawfully abused her power as governor by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper, the chief investigator of an Alaska legislative panel concluded Friday. The politically charged inquiry imperiled her reputation as a reformer on John McCain's Republican ticket.

Investigator Stephen Branchflower, in a report by a bipartisan panel that investigated the matter, found Palin in violation of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain.

The inquiry looked into her dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, who said he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce with the governor's sister. Palin says Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute.

The report found that Palin let the family grudge influence her decision-making even if it was not the sole reason Monegan was dismissed. "I feel vindicated," Monegan said. "It sounds like they've validated my belief and opinions. And that tells me I'm not totally out in left field."

Branchflower said Palin violated a statute of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Re: Palin abused her power

Post by JoeWPgh » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:32 pm

There is no surprise here. American conservatism has devolved from a political philosophy to a mental illness. Caribou Barbie goes all in on 'family values' and wingnut hearts go a pitter-pat. We are expected to ignore that her family is fodder for the Jerry Springer Show, yet somehow expected to celebrate her values.

I like a good honest debate. It's sad for America that repubs have purged themselves of all thinkers in the name of party purity. In exchange all we got was Sarah Moosolini. Enough stoopid already.
NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

Sarah Palin abused her power:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=95627291
Sarah Palin unlawfully abused her power as governor by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper, the chief investigator of an Alaska legislative panel concluded Friday. The politically charged inquiry imperiled her reputation as a reformer on John McCain's Republican ticket.

Investigator Stephen Branchflower, in a report by a bipartisan panel that investigated the matter, found Palin in violation of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain.

The inquiry looked into her dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, who said he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce with the governor's sister. Palin says Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute.

The report found that Palin let the family grudge influence her decision-making even if it was not the sole reason Monegan was dismissed. "I feel vindicated," Monegan said. "It sounds like they've validated my belief and opinions. And that tells me I'm not totally out in left field."

Branchflower said Palin violated a statute of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.

CallMeJoe

Re: Palin abused her power

Post by CallMeJoe » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:44 am

JoeWPgh wrote:There is no surprise here. American conservatism has devolved from a political philosophy to a mental illness. Caribou Barbie goes all in on 'family values' and wingnut hearts go a pitter-pat. We are expected to ignore that her family is fodder for the Jerry Springer Show, yet somehow expected to celebrate her values.

I like a good honest debate. It's sad for America that repubs have purged themselves of all thinkers in the name of party purity. In exchange all we got was Sarah Moosolini. Enough stoopid already.
While the Palin family has its issues, you should admit they are far too tame for Mr. Springer's peculiar circus.

That said, even while the report clears Governor Palin of explicitly criminal conduct, its conclusion that Saint Sarah abused her executive powers could hardly have come at a worse time, especially as the McCain campaign continues to attack Senator Obama's character and trustworthiness.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:59 am

Ethical violation

"The panel found Mrs Palin in violation of a state ethics law prohibiting public officials from using their office for personal gain. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_ ... 662820.stm

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:22 am

Hello,

Here's a very good and informative interview with Anchorage Daily News columnist Michael Carey:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=95725546

Please listen to this!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:22 am

The cost of lipstick these days:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27320899/

CallMeJoe

Post by CallMeJoe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:39 pm

aristide1 wrote:The cost of lipstick these days:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27320899/
Give the lady a break! It costs a lot to be a plain average "Joe Six-Pack" non-elite Real American these days!