Cool N Quiet Issue. Please help.

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Charuto

Cool N Quiet Issue. Please help.

Post by Charuto » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:01 am

I've recently moved into the dual core realm with an Athlon X2 BE-2400 and Foxconn A7GM-S motherboard. The issue I have is that the processor doesn't seem to throttle down when my system is idle.

However, when I go into my system power settings to make sure it's operating under the "Minimal Power Management" scheme, it somehow "reminds" the computer about Cool N Quiet and the clock rate drops.

Can anyone tell me what might be the problem?

[Mod: I think you've got it in the correct place!]

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am

Hiya,

Did you check in the BIOS to see if Cool n' Quiet was enabled there?

Charuto

Post by Charuto » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:34 am

I'm quite sure. But I'll check again when I get home. Thanks.

ST

Re: Cool N Quiet Issue. Please help.

Post by ST » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:13 pm

Charuto wrote:I've recently moved into the dual core realm with an Athlon X2 BE-2400 and Foxconn A7GM-S motherboard. The issue I have is that the processor doesn't seem to throttle down when my system is idle.

However, when I go into my system power settings to make sure it's operating under the "Minimal Power Management" scheme, it somehow "reminds" the computer about Cool N Quiet and the clock rate drops.

Can anyone tell me what might be the problem?

[Mod: I think you've got it in the correct place!]
1. Enable CnQ in Bios
2. load CnQ driver
2. Set Minimal Power Management

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:16 pm

Do you possibly have another CPU that fits that socket. I have seen on a coupleof occasions where your strange problem can be easily "reset" by putting in a different CPU, then of course you just swap back to your original one.

You probably dont have a spare, so I will add to the above, remove the CaQ software, and try and re-install it in safe mode (I cant remember whether this is possible), also try re-installing it to a new directory.

Andy

Charuto

Post by Charuto » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:27 pm

Ok. So I've checked all my settings.

CnQ was on in the BIOS.
AMD Processor Driver is good.
Minimal Power Management was selected.

I restart my computer just because.

I open AMD Clock and test everything. Surf the net, listen to some music; everything seems to be fine. Then I open a video file and AMD Clock is showing 2300 MHz for both cores. After 5 or so minutes I close Windows Media Classic and it's still 2300. I leave it alone to eat dinner. When I return it's still at 2300 MHz as I'm typing this. The only thing I have open now is Firefox (1 tab open) and AMD Clock.

I don't know too much about processes, but I've included a screenshot of Task Manager just in case.

Click to enlarge:

ImageImage

frank2003

Post by frank2003 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:49 pm

IIRC some ATI process messes around with power settings. Since from your screen shot you have an ATI card or IGP and from your description the problem only occurs after you play a video, I bet the ATI process is your culprit.

Try disabling the two ATI processes in Services (they are called "ATI Hotkey Poller" and "ATI Smart"; I don't remember which one is responsible for the behavior), and reboot.

I thought ATI fixed this problem after v7.8 of CCC. Maybe the problem resurfaced?

swong

Post by swong » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:28 am

I built a new computer a few days ago and have exactly the same problem you described.

cpu is 4850e and mobo is gigabyte 780g with version 8.9 ati drivers.

Whenever I opened a video, it would jump up to max frequency and voltage without going back down again once the video was closed. The only way to make it go back down was to just open up the power control panel. I've had a lot of different AMD CNQ cpus and mobos before and this is the first time I've had a problem with it.

So I followed what frank2003 above posted, and it worked! I closed the processes called "ati2evxx" which seems to be blocking the CNQ instructions being sent to the cpu or something like that.

It seems weird that it's something from AMD which is causing the problem, especially on a board that has power saving as one of its main features :?

austinbike

Post by austinbike » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:26 pm

I had a similar issue, rolling back to 8.5 drivers from 8.8 fixed it for me.

Do you have system restore turned on?

Charuto

Post by Charuto » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks a lot for all the replies. It's working as it should now.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:30 am

How did you get it working correctly?

Charuto

Post by Charuto » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:40 am

I disabled both processes "ATI Hotkey Poller" and "ATI Smart" in Services and 2 instances of "ati2evxx" through Task Manager. I'm still not sure which particular process is the issue, but I'm just going to figure that out later (sloppy work I know. For now, I'm just glad it's working).