AC Turbo Module - questionable reliability

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tuz

AC Turbo Module - questionable reliability

Post by tuz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi all, just a heads up as it seems my Arctic Cooling Turbo Module on my Accelero S1 has just failed on me. I was doing some light CPU overclocking on my new e7200 and while keeping and eye on my temps, I found it funny that my GPU heated up around 4-5 degrees C. I just put it down to a coincidence to check up on later.

Later on when I had my case open, it looked like one of the two fans had been leaking fluid (oil? it certainly felt a little oily) and spattered it on the side of my case, and probably my motherboard. The fan is not spinning by itself anymore; to get it going I have to give it a little flick and then it starts.

Anyway just thought I'd let anyone who was considering the turbo module to maybe look at a slow 120mm fan instead and just zip tie it on, that's what I'm going to do now. The Turbo Module seems like a great deal (~$12 in Aus) and the 6 yr warranty sounds nice, but really its not worth sending it back to the manufacturer just for a measly $12 part which may fail again. MikeC noted in his review of the S2 that the longevity of the sleeve bearing fans is questionable when sitting horizontal like this in a typical tower case, although I've only had it for 2-3 months so its probably more likely a defect in the fan.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:11 am

It's not optimal to be using sleeve bearing fans, but it should be lasting much longer than a few months and it should not be leaking anything! I don't think the Turbo module is worth it either, considering how easy it is to slap on your own fan. I use a Hiper 15mm thick fan on my S1 and it cost me like $4.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:23 pm

Unless you have Antec 900... in which the side fan clip will press regular 120mm fan pretty nasty and getting frameless fan would be more ideal... But generally maybe not.