Silverstone SG01-F

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chero

Silverstone SG01-F

Post by chero » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:08 pm

Build experience here (which was probably the wrong place...): viewtopic.php?t=50794

Details:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e
Gigabyte GA-MA740GM-S2
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Silverstone NT06-Lite heatsink
Silverstone ST50EF-Plus-SC (Short Cable)
Western Digital WD3200AAKS

Pretty sparse...

Image :roll:

AMDforlife

Post by AMDforlife » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:55 pm

Very sparse indeed! No sound card, video card or even a CPU fan! Wow.

Looks to have very good airflow for such a small case.

Does the PSU fan spin loud with the CPU heatsink's hot air rising directly into it?! Man that PSU must run pretty hot.

How are CPU temps with that setup?

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:07 am

Pitty there`s no place to hide the cables, still a pretty clean build though.

The power supply fan shouldn`t ramp up noticeably when idle, not with such a low power cpu.

chero

Post by chero » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:02 am

Ya, so far I haven't noticed the PSU fan speed up. After compiling for an hour or so doing upgrades, I touched the little heatsink right on top of the cpu and it wasn't even warm?!

I'll have to get some temps next week as it's at work.

Oh, and don't let the form factor fool you... it's pretty big, with a larger footprint than the NSK3480. It's just not as tall.

One thing I wonder about, is whether the PSU fan controller can react accurately enough to cool the CPU when it/if it does need more cooling?

The only thing I can think of to do different with the cables is to run them low, along the motherboard, and then stuff the excess somewhere. There's a little room along the edge of the motherboard, but then the case wouldn't close.

chero

Post by chero » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:37 pm

I've only been able to check temps in the BIOS as I'm under Linux and I have no idea what software is available for checking this sorta stuff.

I let it run all weekend and when I checked the CPU temp was 27 degrees, and the case temp was about 35 I believe (idle).

After a day of work I checked again, and the temps were up to 30-31 CPU, and about 39 case temp.

This probably isn't too useful. I'll have to look into what Linux tools are available I guess.

After I hooked up the two included SilverStone case fans, and they only increase the noise slightly and not in a very annoying way (just more soft fan noise).

Definitely some disadvantages to this form factor/layout.