Hmm... new cooler? Haven't seen this before...

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheAtomicKid

Hmm... new cooler? Haven't seen this before...

Post by TheAtomicKid » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:48 pm

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/vga/0 ... etail.html

Kinda a negative that it's made specifically for those fans, instead of being able to add your own 120's per the thermalright t-rad2... but on the other hand, for the price, it appears to come WITH the fans... making it half the cost of the thermalright solution.

Anyone seen this reviewed before?

Atomic

edit: Correcting myself. Apparently the T-rad2 uses 2x92mm fans, or a single 120mm fan, by default. As opposed to the obviously 2x100mm setup on the scythe, along with a slightly larger surface area. Hmm... possibilities.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:45 pm

According to c't, this thing is whisper quiet and idles at less then 0.1 Sone in their test setup cooling a HD4850 (they measure at 0.5m with four microphones and average the values). It also performed better than the AC Twin Turbo with standard settings. However, they weren't too pleased with the fan control, as it seems to be manual via a PCI backplate bracket.

I thought about mentioning it, but I've been too lethargic recently (damn gloomy London weather).

TheAtomicKid

Post by TheAtomicKid » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:05 am

I was pondering something like a 7-12 volt switch for the fans.. like say a lamptron bay controller setup. At 7 volts, they ought to be nearly inaudible, at a guess. And it would give the ability to dial them back up to full speed if heat/etc became an issue.

Atomic

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:24 am

I think the range by the supplied controller is 900-2000rpm, iirc.

TheAtomicKid

Post by TheAtomicKid » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:46 am

Yeah, I saw. I was just thinking of the bay controller, because it's up front, and accessible... aka, convenient.

Overall, the product does look good. Not many reviews on it, but as was stated, it's apparently pretty quiet.

Atomic

Chang

Post by Chang » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:15 am

Positives:
Relatively inexpensive.
Potentially "quiet" at lower settings.

Negatives:
Dual slot cooler + controller blocks three PCI slots.
Manual control.
Potentially "noisy" at upper settings.

My verdict:
Okay for some specific applications, but there are probably better solutions for the majority of the SPCR crowd.