Recommended cases [update needed?]

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

green

Recommended cases [update needed?]

Post by green » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:18 am

so... any indication when this might be updated?
it's been over a year now...

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:23 am

Has anything changed in the marketplace that requires an update? If you read the forums here do you get the impression that there's a bunch of new cases out there other than the Antecs (P150/Solo/P18x/NSKyyyy) which people are really all buzzed about? I don't.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:36 am

i sort through newegg cases every few months. still havnt seen anything to top the Solo/P150 for full atx, or the NSK3480 for micro atx.

Sure there are other cases that work better for other situations, but not when it comes to silence. Which is the only thing SPCR cares about when reviewing cases.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:05 am

FWIW, I pretty much agree with Aris' assessment.

JL5
Patron of SPCR

Post by JL5 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:57 am

A case might not need to top the SOLO, but rather present a different alternative to choose from. A case I would like reviewed is:
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=pro ... y=2&prod=2

Asked them to contact spcr since they promote the case as silent, but no reply yet.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:01 am

JL5 wrote:A case might not need to top the SOLO, but rather present a different alternative to choose from. A case I would like reviewed is:
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=pro ... y=2&prod=2

Asked them to contact spcr since they promote the case as silent, but no reply yet.
Well, that's kinda scary you know. If they advertise it being silent and fails SPCR review, it will loose the target audience that is well ware fo the silencing and silent PC's as they participate SPCR forums, Lurk around here or read the reviews.

You really do not want to throw a product for the lions of SPCR unless you have confidence of its prevailing...

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:22 am

That fractal desing case looks good. But the front intake is next to useless I think....

ist.martin

what about a horizontal layout?

Post by ist.martin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:18 pm

Aris wrote:i sort through newegg cases every few months. still havnt seen anything to top the Solo/P150 for full atx, or the NSK3480 for micro atx.

Sure there are other cases that work better for other situations, but not when it comes to silence. Which is the only thing SPCR cares about when reviewing cases.
I just built a system for the first time, with a Solo. I was struck by how absurd it was that the only 2 heat producing things in the case - the PS and CPU, were sitting right on top of each other. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler on the CPU was within a millimeter of touching the PS!

My first thought was how poorly engineered it is that these things are so close, with most of the case innards being empty space. If the Solo is the best out there for silencing, then there is room for improvement. Intuitively, I would think that a HTPC-style, horizontal layout would be better - at least that way, the PS and CPU/cooler wouldn't be stacked.

nyonya

Re: what about a horizontal layout?

Post by nyonya » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:16 pm

ist.martin wrote:
Aris wrote:i sort through newegg cases every few months. still havnt seen anything to top the Solo/P150 for full atx, or the NSK3480 for micro atx.

I just built a system for the first time, with a Solo. I was struck by how absurd it was that the only 2 heat producing things in the case - the PS and CPU, were sitting right on top of each other. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler on the CPU was within a millimeter of touching the PS!

My first thought was how poorly engineered it is that these things are so close, with most of the case innards being empty space. If the Solo is the best out there for silencing, then there is room for improvement. Intuitively, I would think that a HTPC-style, horizontal layout would be better - at least that way, the PS and CPU/cooler wouldn't be stacked.
This way though, the PSU fan (assuming it's a 120mm fan PSU) is right next to the CPU heatsink, making passively cooling the CPU a much easier proposition. That design is to ATX spec btw, practically any ATX tower case will have the CPU and PSU right next to each other (except the cases that haev the PSU on the bottom, like the Antec 300).

walle

Post by walle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:19 pm

It’s worth keeping in mind that the Solo is an old design, yet, in my opinion, still the best suitable one out there for a quiet orientated system.