120mm <30db recommendation

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zeroibis

120mm <30db recommendation

Post by zeroibis » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:25 am

Hello, being my first post I figure I will give some background:
I am finally building a new computer after 4 years of waiting. My current system is loud really loud. It can be heard from over 100ft away though doors. Luckily, the sound pays off in the winter as it can heat about 3 rooms. (if placed in a 15' x10' room it will reach temp equilibrium starting at 80F in 1-1.5hours (assuming 73F room temp))

I am tired of the noise! This is why I want my next computer to be quieter! As a result I am hunting for quieter fans that have high outputs, this way I can get the performance I need for overclocking and be able to turn them down to get the silence I need to listen to music without the case adding it's own sound track!

I have learned to appropriate the work that goes into silent systems when I finished by first HPCP where the loudest part today is my old ass HDD. (7 years and still spinning!)

I am looking for the highest performance <30db fan out there. I ran across the Noiseblocker MF12-P it is exactly what I need (high performance, adjustable speed, low sound) but at $30USD I can not afford them. (I need 16 fans) I can afford up to $20per fan does anyone have any recommendations :?:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:53 am

Hello & welcome to SPCR,

You can start with the recommended 120mm fan list!

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

I would add Scythe Slipstream 800 and 1200 RPM models to list, as well.

zeroibis

Post by zeroibis » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:44 am

Ah, thanks for the link!

I tried the Recommend list provided in #### General FAQ #### but it sent me to a section about power supplies.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:54 am

i like the Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm fans. Undervolt them down to around 800rpm and they are inaudible.

zeroibis

Post by zeroibis » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:23 pm

One of the problems though is that I want 65+cfm...

I am willing to budge a few dbs though.

One thing I am doing is analyzing the differences between what is reported on boxes verses SPCRs analysis. I will create a new thread later on with some conclusions that could be used to derive some formulas for estimating the performance of untested fans.
Last edited by zeroibis on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:28 pm

zeroibis wrote:One of the problems though is that I want 65+cfm...

I am willing to budge a few dbs though.
nothing will be quiet at those speeds. but this is probably your best bet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185006

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi,

Why do you think you need that much air flow? You can go with the 1600RPM SlipStream and just undervolt it -- the headroom will be there if you need it. But OTOH, cutting out air grills and/or installing better heatsinks, etc., should let you keep things cool with far less air flow.

I have seen an awful lot of new members come and ask the exact question you are -- all the folks that have been at this a while have managed to get quiet and cool running machines; with no sacrifice to performance, mind you!

There is no way that 65CFM will be anywhere near quiet. And, there is probably no real need for that much air flow, either. How do you want to use the fan?

zeroibis

Post by zeroibis » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:54 pm

I plan to OC a i7 965 as far as it will let me using a 120mm quad rad.

The avg difference between the box CFM/db to SPCR cfm/db is .93527 and the avg cfm diff is 27.51723

For Scythe and Noiseblocker it is .76

Using this and comparing it to real word box based data I have concluded that what I need to achieve the temps I want should be a fan that produces around 50cfm as reported by SPCR.

This is based off of the following data: I know that a 70cfm fan on the rad I will be using will achieve my desired temps. I also know that 70cfm is not that fans actual performance based off of the data I have analyzed. Therefor a 50cfm fan by the slandereds used by SPCR should meet my needs.

I should note that I plan to make a shroud to minimize the dead zone.

Currently I am looking at the NB-BlackSilentFan XLP does anyone have some opinions on this fan?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:00 am

BlackSilent fans under 1200 rpm's generally are regarded same category with Nexus 120mm, which is very good. The SPCR did give high regards to the BlackSilent series fans in their fan round up. However I nor SPCR has experience of BlackSIlent PMW fans. I have used 1000 RPM BlackSilent X1's and 1200 RPM X2's and I can say they are good:

Dark and low motor sound like nexus. very smooth and easily disapears into ambedient noise. PMW fans are however another thing.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:50 am

(I need 16 fans)
My biggest question is how you could need 16 fans? I'd wager a coin that your best option to make your box more silent is to rethink your airflow management. And it wouldn't surprise me if it is possible to reduce the number of fans and decrease the speed of the fans yet still have the same cooling ability.

If you gave a description of your airflow management and peharps a picture to increase understanding I am sure someone would help you use your air an a more efficient way.

zeroibis

Post by zeroibis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:21 am

I finally decided on the SCYTHE SLIP STREAM SY1225SL12H http://www.silentpcreview.com/article83 ... .html#SS-H

It should be perfect for my needs and has a great price!

Here is my airflow: (all contacts have dampeners)
F=fan(120mm)
-=sealed shroud
R-Raidator(there are 2 120mm quad)

F-R-F-R-F
F-R-F-R-F
F-R-F-R-F
F-R-F-R-F

This will create one unit good flow across 2 radiators. The sides bottom and top will be covered in sound absorbent material. All fans will be hooked up to fan controllers with 2 fans per channel.

Keep in mind that because my rads are so big I can shut off some of the fans and turn turn the others down. It is all about options, I have the power there when I need it and the silence there when I need that!

Well now I am off to hunt for 80mm fans!

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:16 am

Have you tried just with middle fans? It should work if your radiators have low restrictions. And if your rads has higher impedance slipstreams are not for you as they don't handle impedance well. Maybe new gentle typhoons should suit you well.

roilev

Post by roilev » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:15 am

I am not sure about I understood the idea behind all of these fans, but I want to point out, that this Scythe is not good for a sink fan.
I am yet another fan of the Noiseblocker fans, I haven't met a single fan with a better noise profile that that. Probably only Noctua S12 is there, but it is worse for air pressure, working against fins.
I don't have Nexus, but I have two Yate Loons, and they are much worse than the Noiseblockers. I have a fat Scythe Ultra Kaze 1000, that is better than the YLs, but still not there with the Noiseblockers. And they can undervolt to 150rpm, that is the lowest I've accomplished with any fan.

You are right about the P12 Noctua - the best fan for the task, but way too pricey. And it is not up to the SPCR standards, speaking about noise.
Anyway, you don't need 65+cfm, you don't have that much hot air to exhaust, your total system output will hardly exceed 500 watts.
Many people tend to compensate the lack of heatsinks with lots of (fast) fans, but here people prefer the opposite.

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:08 pm

I totally forgot those thick ultra kaze:s I would take those and just put them between the radiators. They would work well against restriction of two rads.

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:02 am

zeroibis wrote: F-R-F-R-F
F-R-F-R-F
F-R-F-R-F
F-R-F-R-F
This is not a good idea. As configured you're wasting the heat dissipation qualities of the second rad by blowing hot air from the first into it. More restriction + inefficient cooling configuration = higher temps.

With a 4x 120 rad you'll have a lot of cooling overhead- especially if you're planning a CPU-only loop- without wasting your money/ space/ ears on an unnecessary radiator.

Here's a better idea (and pretty quiet too):

Buy one of these: http://www.petrastechshop.com/swstmcrrebl.html

one of these: http://www.petrastechshop.com/fexqu12ra.html

eight of these: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=24275

and eight of these: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=24644

rig a 5v switch for the whole kit n' kaboodle an on/ off switch for 4 of the rad fans and you're good to go (ish). This still won't be really THAT quiet but will get you far closer to the neighborhood than your proposed spec.

Another thing to consider: your pump. Look into the DDC 3.x series and aftermarket tops- good head/ flow balance with a minimum of noise when undervolted (7v is dead silent outside a case). Some of the dual tops look interesting but it's well-nigh impossible to find reviews for them. I have had good experiences with the Petra's top (discontinued) and the EK rev. 2 top- the XSPC top may be a good-performing piece of kit, but I had my first crak on me. Not good.

As with all things H2O related ask at XtremeSystems forums first :D

TMM

Post by TMM » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:10 am

16x 65cfm fans? you sir have come to the wrong forum.

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:19 am

TMM wrote:16x 65cfm fans? you sir have come to the wrong forum.
:lol:

too true.

I'd be asking a wholly different question: how can I silence all these (4) ridiculously loud 5v Yate Loons :p