Is it just my obsessive nature or is this commmon?

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

antivenom

Is it just my obsessive nature or is this commmon?

Post by antivenom » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:45 pm

I only began my silencing project Christmas eve and it seems that now I've started I can't stop!

The closer I get to silencing my computer, the more sensitive my ears become and I keep noticing more noises. For instance, I used to think my monitor was nice and quiet but tonight, I've been tinkering with my computer and now that it's even quieter, I can hear my monitor from where I'm sitting! :cry:

Is it just me, or is PC silencing simply a maddening quest? :?

wojtek

Re: Is it just my obsessive nature or is this commmon?

Post by wojtek » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:11 pm

antivenom wrote:I only began my silencing project Christmas eve and it seems that now I've started I can't stop!

The closer I get to silencing my computer, the more sensitive my ears become and I keep noticing more noises. For instance, I used to think my monitor was nice and quiet but tonight, I've been tinkering with my computer and now that it's even quieter, I can hear my monitor from where I'm sitting! :cry:

Is it just me, or is PC silencing simply a maddening quest? :?

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!

WELCOM TO THE CLUB!!!

Addicted from 3 YEARS :)

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:35 pm

First it`s the disk drive. Then the monitor, surge protector, the fridge, the the neighboor`s heater.... and finally your own breath. Now how do you silence that?

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Yeah, that's a pretty common problem around here. I occasionally have to go listen to friends' and family's computers, to remind myself of what I used to consider quiet.

Strangely, the very small amount of noise from my computer irritates me more than louder systems not designed with silence in mind. When I'm forced to work on a different computer, I tend to tune the noise out and ignore it, but when I'm using my own computer I listen very critically, judging my own handiwork.

antivenom

Post by antivenom » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:23 am

Well I guess it's reassuring that it's not just me :)

But on the other hand, I'm actually thinking of undoing some of my mods to INCREASE the noise of my computer and see if that's any less off putting :lol:

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 am

When it's really quiet and I start to be able to hear the sounds coming from my PC, I stick a CD on as a kind of "Lalalalala I can't hear you" tactic. It's a total cheat I know, but at least I can console myself with the fact that I can put a CD on at a low volume late at night and hear it perfectly.

EDIT: But I can't have it too low, otherwise I can hear the CD spinning. AAAAAARGH!

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:12 am

It is common phenomenon of psycho-acoustics and hearing... So welcome to the club...