Nexus Voltinia launched

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Redzo

Nexus Voltinia launched

Post by Redzo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:54 am

Nexus launched it's new case, Voltinia. Looks rather nice :-)
Read more HERE

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:34 am

Eh, looks good from the outside, but the fan grills are too restrictive. A dremel can fix this, however. For a low-power system this case might be great, but having the power supply mounted in the regular spot may cause fan spinups with higher-powered systems.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:41 am

tehfire wrote:Eh, looks good from the outside, but the fan grills are too restrictive. A dremel can fix this, however. For a low-power system this case might be great, but having the power supply mounted in the regular spot may cause fan spinups with higher-powered systems.
I like it a lot too. Those vents on the floor are really nice. I dont think that PSU placing is that bad. And you could turn that PSU upside down (assuming that it has 12cm fan) and it would suck fresh air from those ventilation holes in the top of case.
And I think this case could house a rather powerfull system and still remain quiet. Anyway it is a great candidate for a SPCR test ;-)

mond

Post by mond » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:46 am

7 hardmounted drives, sweet :wink:

green

Post by green » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:18 pm

strangely enough it's not so new:
http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-nexusclodius ... system.htm

main differences:
+ noise absorption material
- funky fan control knob / temperature indicator
+ power supply
~ iffy on the fan speeds
+ firewire port (ports in different layout)

F for Fragging

Post by F for Fragging » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:56 pm

Interesting, this seems like a nice competitor for the Cooler Master Sileo 500. Hopefully we'll see both cases reviewed by SPCR somewhere in the future.

My thoughts:
  • No eSATA connection on the front panel. I don't understand why they didn't include it, it's far more useful than FireWire.
  • Overkill of ventilation holes in the ceiling and PCI-slots. Given that apparently only the ventilation holes in the bottom have a filter, it will probably trap a lot of dust. With all the openings in the ceiling the top of the case probably won't look pretty from the exterior. And it's a lot easier for sound to escape through the ventilation holes in the ceiling than through the bottom.
  • I wonder if the front panel uses a plastic material, or it is metal as well? Plastic would be cheap.
  • There doesn't seem to be a silent way to mount the hard disk drives.
  • It's great that it includes the Nexus Real Silent fans and the Nexus Value power supply for a price of approximately € 110. That's cheaper than the Sileo 500 and a comparable separate power supply. Great value for money, but I'm not sure if this advantage is enough to overcome the disadvantages.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:10 pm

>> No eSATA connection on the front panel.
Maybe it's more useful than FireWire, but I bet that the minority of camcorder users who use FireWire regularly is larger than the minority who swap external eSATA HDDs often. Most motherboards have eSATA onboard and if not simply get a SATA -> eSATA adapter. Connect your HDD and use it whenever you need to. I personally think eSATA on the front panel is just a tiny bonus, not a real big benefit.

>> Overkill of ventilation holes in the veiling and PCI-slots.
Makes for a good airflow but I agree about the dust

>> There doesn't seem to be a silent way to mount the hard disk drives.
Admit it, homebrew suspension is way cooler. So get that dremel.

>> Great value for money [..] overcome the disadvantages
So you say you would be better off with a much more expensive case just because there's no eSATA on the front? Cheesh...

When I saw this "new" case it I immediately recalled that it resembles the Clodius1. Nexus have just updated their Clodius1 with a bit more nifty pack. A great plus is to have connections on the bottom! However this one doesn't cut it either... Nexus have failed to bring any fresh and exciting PC cases. They're running on thin ice right now. Too bad actually given the popularity of their silent fans.