Can't set fan speed on Freezer7 pro

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

flapane

Can't set fan speed on Freezer7 pro

Post by flapane » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:40 pm

I'd like to shut down the fan under 35°, like I did with amd and freezer64 pro.
The only way I can change the fan speed is under qfan in my asus' bios, but it only goes down to 900rpm.
No way I can regulate it with speedfan, I tried to change every possible setting, switching between PWM and DC change, with all the pwms from 1 to 4, but the only result was to put the fan @max speed, sometimes by playing with pwm3, other times with pwm4 :shock: . I tought that freezer had pwm control.
Any hints?
t.i.a

hillkitler

Post by hillkitler » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Have you considered attaching it to a fan controller? My Freezer 7 Pro works just fine like that. I can turn it off whenever I want (though I never do) It doesn't perform well in low airflow situations, so I'd imagine that turning it off entirely would have rather adverse repercussions, depending on your processor.

Here's to you figuring it out!

Redzo

Re: Can't set fan speed on Freezer7 pro

Post by Redzo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:02 pm

flapane wrote:I'd like to shut down the fan under 35°, like I did with amd and freezer64 pro.
The only way I can change the fan speed is under qfan in my asus' bios, but it only goes down to 900rpm.
No way I can regulate it with speedfan, I tried to change every possible setting, switching between PWM and DC change, with all the pwms from 1 to 4, but the only result was to put the fan @max speed, sometimes by playing with pwm3, other times with pwm4 :shock: . I tought that freezer had pwm control.
Any hints?
t.i.a
On some Asus boards you have to disable QFan for CPU Fan header for SpeedFan to work.

flapane

Post by flapane » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am

A fan controller would be a waste of money, as a pwm fan should already do it.
I already tried disabling qfan, and the fan spinned at max and the only thing I could obtain with speedfan was shutting it down.
It ain't loud at 800rpm at idle, but seeing that both cores are at 25C, it would be better to shut it down, as I did with Freezer64.

hillkitler

Post by hillkitler » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Well, if that doesn't work for you here's a relatively cheap fan controller:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5986

flapane

Post by flapane » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:21 am

tnx, I'll find something similar here