What sticky film on my HR-01?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Xobim

What sticky film on my HR-01?

Post by Xobim » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:33 am

Goodday,

I've installed my HR-01 plus into my case two weeks ago, and now a scary thought emerges. Does the heatsink come with a small plastic film on the base when it is shipped? I haven't removed any when I installed the heatsink, and now I fear it is interfering with my cooling paste....

Err, can anyone remember wether their HR came with a small plastic film on the base? Thermalright says something about their heatsinks having one, but can't find any evidence for the HR-01 plus.

(stop laughing, please!) 8)

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:02 am

Not sure if it does or not. What temps are you getting? That'd give you a pretty good indication of whether or not it had film on it...

Elijah86

Post by Elijah86 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:56 am

When I got my HR-01 Plus last September it did not have any clear film on the bottom. I hope the same for yours! Good luck!

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:35 am

Those films are usually fairly obvious. Check your temps, though; if they don't give you a heart attack, there's no film.

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:18 am

Well, I guess it didn't come with a protective film, then.

Right now, my E6750 runs at 45°C when doing minor tasks. There's an 800-rpm S-flex blowing air through the HR-01, and I don't think the temperatures are as they should be. When under high load (playing fallout 3 with lots of effects) the CPU runs around 60°C or so. I think the arctic silver 5 needs more time to settle. Hopefully, the temperatures will drop towards the ones in the SPCR review. That would be very nice. ;)

hillkitler

Post by hillkitler » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm running an E6750 @ 3.5Ghz with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, a heatsink that is generally inferior to the HR-01. I'm also using Arctic Silver 5, but my cores never go above 55, even under a heavy load. You MAY want to double check your setup, my friend.

Matija

Post by Matija » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:33 am

hillkitler wrote:I'm running an E6750 @ 3.5Ghz with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, a heatsink that is generally inferior to the HR-01. I'm also using Arctic Silver 5, but my cores never go above 55, even under a heavy load. You MAY want to double check your setup, my friend.
I'm using an E4300 @ 2.4 GHz, 1.1V with a Ninja rev.A and a 1000 rpm 92mm fan and my cores go over 55 under heavy load.

;)

Is it working? Is it stable? If the answer to both is "yes", then just forget about temperature measurements. It's been a very long time since Intel made processors whose temperature can be correctly measured through software.

hillkitler

Post by hillkitler » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Matija, you're absolutely right. I just double checked that temp. and I was getting up around 60 under load. I know too much about temperature software to have believed that I was only reaching 55...I don't know what I was thinking. It's all stable though, so I guess I don't have anything to worry about-- I was simply wrong in my comparative analysis of the two situations.

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:03 am

Well, I did some testing yesterday with my processor: ran prime95 on both cores for about 30 minutes, and that caused my temperatures to go up all the way to 67 degrees centigrade. (northbridge got hot too, 53 degrees)

I think I've used too much Artic silver 5, because my 65W processor can't get this hot if the 130W processor SPCR used only got to 41 degrees with the HR...

maf718

Post by maf718 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:07 am

Xobim, do you have software such as RealTemp 3.0 that measures the distance to TJ Max? This figure would tell us more than an absolute temperature that, as Matija points out, may not be right and often varies depending on which monitoring program or even which revision of a monitoring program you use.

Too much Arctic Silver wouldn't be too big a deal, unless it's oozing out all over the motherboard, might make a degree or two difference. What is your case cooling like? And what other possibly hot components such as graphics cards do you have in there?

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:15 am

I did a stresstest with Realtemp V3 an prime95, and the results were the same:
Got around 62 degrees in a 5 minute burn-in. The temperature wasn't stable, then.

As for my rig:
This is a picture I took with a cellphone. The quality sucks big time, but you should see that there's a fan in the upper right corner of the case. The fan under my HR was supposed to be placed in the rubber grommets that hang from the "ceiling" of the case. My idea was to cool the HR semi-passively, but it just got too hot for that...

maf718

Post by maf718 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:36 pm

You're 38C below the throttling temp of that CPU at load, absolutely nothing to worry about. You could even consider reducing the fan speed.

What temp do you get when you try the semi-passive mode? It's a bit hard to tell in your picture, but am I right in thinking you would have 2 120mm exhausting through the ceiling of the case in this mode? Sounds like enough for a stable system, maybe you are worrying too much about the numbers.

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:55 am

Well, maybe. A CPU just isn't supposed to run 70° C under load, I think. If you have a good article that tells me more about CPU heat, I'd be happy to read it.

I'll try another test with the CPU cooled "passively" later this day. Both fans will be exhausting through the ceiling. I removed the first fan because I could hear some sort of howling sound whenever it was running.

(What do you think of the rope suspension on my cooler, BTW?)

maf718

Post by maf718 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:02 am

This post by the author of realtemp may go some way to allaying your fears about temperature.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend you to run your CPU permanently at 98C, but Intel made that the thermal throttling point for a reason; they could have made it lower if it was needed to protect the processor.

Another thought: what's your case like for air intake? Sometimes you get the fan howling you describe when the case fans are trying to overcome a great air pressure differential. What temps do you get with the side of the case removed? If it's significantly lower then you need more fresh air in the case.

(Your rope suspension looks interesting, what's it made of, elastic? I guess it helps reduce the stress on the motherboard, particularly if you move the computer.)

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm not afraid of heat, I just don't want my PC to malfunction... 8)

This is what I got from a 10 minute Realtemp test. Not much difference:

Then I did a 20-minute burn-in, which caused temperatures to rise to 73 degrees (27 below critical). My northbridge went up to 60 degrees, which is impossible under normal operation...

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:26 am

I'll just add this:

the whining sound doesn't come from a blocked intake, or from the honeycomb-grating on the ceiling. The whining persists when I remove the side panel.
It's the rubber grommets that make the fans whine for some reason. Whenever I push the fan downwards, the noise ends. With both fans on, the sound begins to pulse, so it must be because of resonation.
I definately don't hope that cutting the metal grating caused it, because then I'm in trouble. I'll try hard-mounting the fans in tomorrow.

EDIT:
It was rather obvious, but the grommets weren't the cause of the whining. It's either the fan bearing or just the tonality of the motors. Does anyone have any idea on what to do about this?